Price for karndean -is this too much

redtop

we have a quote to install karndean van Gough, 170m sq including 6mm plywood base. Its coming in at just over 12k. I reckon i could buy the materials for around 8k if I did it myself. But precise I am not so run the risk of it looking rubbish. They reckon 2 of them around 2 to 3 weeks for the job. I also don't have the time really to do it myself. Any thoughts on this price? Note its 100m downstairs 70 up so we could save a bit and put carpet upstairs.

Including the ply fit and feather edging to prep, then to supply and fit of the Van Gogh, its perhaps about right.  You could be paying more with some retailers. It's not a cheap choice, and especially not when you get good fitters on it. The prep needs to be spot on, so not worth scrimping on it.

Having said that, it's a fairly large area, so maybe haggling it down is possible. I have a kitchen of approx 45 metres of Karndean vg planned, which is going to cost £61 per metre. There is no ply in that price, but they are prepping with levelling compound.

Edited by Makeitstop

Are you really sure you want it?

We had it, was already there when we moved in. I really dont see why it costs so much. Ours was faded by the patio doors, badly, and it was heavily scratched.

All gone. Tiles fitted!

14 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Are you really sure you want it?

We had it, was already there when we moved in. I really dont see why it costs so much. Ours was faded by the patio doors, badly, and it was heavily scratched.

All gone. Tiles fitted!

Good point 

I’ve replaced quite a few for tiles 

Whilst I’m sometimes ask to lay it I don’t see where the daft prices come from

15 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

Was it already scratched when you moved in or was it scratched during your own use?

What kind of colour was it?

Like fake wooden planking.

Scratched before we came. Dogs i suspect.

2 hours ago, redtop said:

we have a quote to install karndean van Gough, 170m sq including 6mm plywood base. Its coming in at just over 12k. I reckon i could buy the materials for around 8k if I did it myself. But precise I am not so run the risk of it looking rubbish. They reckon 2 of them around 2 to 3 weeks for the job. I also don't have the time really to do it myself. Any thoughts on this price? Note its 100m downstairs 70 up so we could save a bit and put carpet upstairs.

Having had Karndean flooring installed in our last place, it was a painful process. Plywood screwed down at something like 150mm centres throughout, filled and sanded butt joints and our fitter even used a self-levelling latex as the subfloor was crap. The actual installation of the floor after this was simple as in comparison.

I have to also say that we were slightly disappointed by the Karndean and preferred the vinyl we'd previously had from Harvey Maria.

I was at a retailer that sells the product, and he actually said

......"it will scratch, especially if you walk about in shoes that might have chips of stone stuck in the soles of them, or if you drag a fridge around on it"

We will see, but it might be a long wait for any damage report.

3 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Having had Karndean flooring installed in our last place, it was a painful process. Plywood screwed down at something like 150mm centres throughout, filled and sanded butt joints and our fitter even used a self-levelling latex as the subfloor was crap. The actual installation of the floor after this was simple as in comparison.

I have to also say that we were slightly disappointed by the Karndean and preferred the vinyl we'd previously had from Harvey Maria.

What was your finding on it Simon?

I was discussing lvt's with same retailer above, and mentioned that to me, Amtico felt like a harder surface. I also said I'd tried a bit of a scratch test on two sample planks and that the Amtico definitely proved more difficult to mark. This was on Amtico Form V Karndean Van Gogh.

Problem is, I preferred the colouring on the Karndean product, so that's the choice (although not from said supplier)

Time will tell, but I'm not planning on giving it a hard life.

Edited by Makeitstop

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

It is a lot of money but I think that unlike carpet you can reclaim the VAT.  There are lots of other LVT brands you could look at.  Perhaps porcelain tiles in the entrance hall if you are concerned about scratches,

Trouble is with the house design and how we live in it we come into the lounge or kitchen, and outside drive isn't done yet so yes stones, muck of the dogs etc. As ground floor is a floating t and g chipboard then we would need to do something to stop tiles cracking, which is more money...

20 minutes ago, redtop said:

ground floor is a floating t and g chipboard then we would need to do something to stop tiles cracking, which is more money...

This house and previous house have tiled floors on suspended floors with no issues and no cracks.

Looking now at engineered wood. Fitted that before so cheaper as can do myself. One question, if we run it through all rooms downstairs, and considering the rooms are not in the same direction, so the kitchen is 30 degrees of from the lounge, connected by a hall, would it look weird to run it through or would you use Threshold strips and change the angle.... Note we have no doors downstsirs

Changes in board orientation always looks wrong. I'd seriously consider which way you can, or should do it and be sure before committing.

Also, when speaking of scratches etc, wood flooring, whether it be solid boards or engineered, they all mark. Furthermore, wooden surfaces once marked or worn tend to discolour in a way that vinyl doesn't, even though some sun bleaching can occur on both.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution.

Tiles are great if you have ufh, but if not, they will always feel cold. Tiles = coldest... timber = next coldest, vinyl = next and carpet = least.

You pay your money and take your pick.

52 minutes ago, redtop said:

Looking now at engineered wood. Fitted that before so cheaper as can do myself. One question, if we run it through all rooms downstairs, and considering the rooms are not in the same direction, so the kitchen is 30 degrees of from the lounge, connected by a hall, would it look weird to run it through or would you use Threshold strips and change the angle.... Note we have no doors downstsirs

Can you fit at an angle?....45°

That may overcome directional dilemma 

We had around 200sq metres of Amtico in our last house, the whole ground floor plus an upstairs games room.

The wood effect, was very nice, a lot of people thought it was actual wood. In the games room it was still immaculate when we moved out. Basically in low traffic rooms it should not get damaged, especially if you are careful.

In the hall it got mildly scratched up, not so much that I was bothered, but I could see it.

In the kitchen and conservatory we had a marble tile effect Amtico. I had it removed and placed with tiles and wood. It just looked too obviously fake to me.

It looks to me like Karndean Van Gogh is a bit more expensive than Amtico Spacia, so your cost of £70 a square metre looks about right. You might be able to get it a few pounds cheaper.

It absolutely has to be done properly. The company that did ours did a fantastic job. The showhome had Amtico in the kitchen and you could see the joins in the plywood beneath it. Any issues will show as it is so thin.

I love a bit of LVT. At my daughters i laid about 50 sq mt in 2 days, through 5 rooms. No thresholds, so my grandson can ride his bike around. Been down 4 years, and still looks good. Carpet would be wrecked by now. I have previously done engineered oak, but found that it got full on tiny dents quite quickly.

15 hours ago, Makeitstop said:

What was your finding on it Simon?

For us we just found the wood effect a little plastic and noticably not real - rather it was clear it was vinyl. The Harvey Maria was so apparently real visitors remarked on how nice the wood floor was and asked how we got the aged, washed look to be so authentic. The Karndean floor did stand up to use without any noticable effect but we didn't live with it for long before moving.

1 hour ago, redtop said:

Good idea, need to think about it lol

If you want an image of it like that, PM me and ll pass you on a mobile number and will send you some via WhatsApp. I had some sent to me by the guys that'll be doing my own place.

I want it laid straight, but in certain places, angled works well

Edited by Makeitstop