Price for karndean -is this too much

redtop

1 hour ago, redtop said:

Is it really difficult to fit?

No, not difficult to do, but probably less straightforward to get it done really well. I feel I could probably do it no bother as I'm very good with my hands, but in truth, it's more cost and time effective to let pros do it. I know itll be perfect when they have.

35 minutes ago, SimonD said:

For us we just found the wood effect a little plastic and noticably not real - rather it was clear it was vinyl. The Harvey Maria was so apparently real visitors remarked on how nice the wood floor was and asked how we got the aged, washed look to be so authentic. The Karndean floor did stand up to use without any noticable effect but we didn't live with it for long before moving.

Thanks for the info on that.

I found it depends what version it is as to whether it looks overly fake..ish

The spacia range from amtico has a fairly unrealistic grain texture, so in certain light, it does look fake yes. Even their signature range is somewhat like it, but it's better. They have a range that sits between those though called "form" and some of that range is incredibly realistic, with a very good textured surface. The one thing I was less sure of was the colour tone, which did look a little too consistent. But it's very good stuff.

The Karndean product (Van Gogh) also has a very good texture, which follows all the grain marking. The colour on it though is super realistic, and it was that which swayed my own decision....

See here.....

https://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors/products/warm-brushed-oak-vgw121t

Edited by Makeitstop

2 hours ago, redtop said:

Is it really difficult to fit?

I have not done it with those parquet blocks but have done fully glued bamboo.  Very simple to do but you need to be meticulously clean to avoid getting adhesive everywhere. Once you have set out the first row or 2 leave it to dry so you have a firm edge to work to.  Skirting covers a multitude of sins and makes it easier to fit the end boards.

I have tended to dry lay out as far as I can reach and do all the cuts, draw round it so I know where to apply adhesive, take it up, adhesive the area and lay it in the wet adhesive.

It feels very solid underfoot.

I used Smoked Oak 12mm laminate in our scheme. £12/sq m (was £6 when I bought most of it!  Inflation Grrrr). I am delighted with it.  This came from UK Flooring Direct.

Used a different oak laminate from them in the last scheme - not had a single issue with it to date.

Previous scheme I used engineerd board - Oak Berlin from Kharrs - mega expensive £80/ sq. m back in 2016 but does look great. Had loads of issues with it though as no-one in any of the 88 apartments looked after it properly. Needs oiling twice a year for example.

Anyway - smoked oak -  (it isn't as orange in the flesh) - 4 bedroom detached house for sale in Uggmere Court Road, Ramsey Heights, PE26 (rightmove.co.uk)

Nature oak (remembered the name) -  can't find any pics on Rightmove - I will see if I can find one on my phone in a bit

Oak Berlin - 1 bedroom flat for sale in Knoll Rise, Orpington, BR6 (rightmove.co.uk)

Found one. The thing I didn't like with this board (8mm laminate) is the end of the board had the veneer sealed down in the last 0.5mm. Trouble is that these then but up leaving a 1 - 1.5mm line which was noticable. The 12mm laminate is different it seems.

20200804_114451.jpg