Recommended Posts

Hey.

 

Hope this is right place to post,  my question is in 2 parts really - basically we moved into a new build shared ownership 3 months ago and noticed just after christmas when it was raining we can hear a drip tapping sound on the attic hatch on the upstairs landing , we had a look and it was pretty wet and dripped onto the floor when we took the hatch down , the insulation seemed wet too , so we kept a eye on it and every time it rains the same thing happens after about 2-3 hours the dripping noise starts and we check and its wet again.

 

So we called Orbit homes and they said as it was Xmas time they couldnt do anything about it , and then now there saying they wont be sending anyone till the 24th of February , obviously this is pretty stressful as we're new to house ownership etc, the only reassuring thing is we have no water marks / brown spots etc on the celling on the upstairs rooms it seems to be contained to the attic area for now.

 

What are our rights with this, Is this normal to let a roof have a leak for what'll essentially be 2 months of knowing about it and maybe even longer before that.

 

and also structurally / logically speaking to anyone with knowledge of this , how safe/unsafe is it that it would be 2 months to wait since knowing about it ? 

 

Thanks a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems common that mass market house builders have a reputation for poor service.

 

Get a bucket stood up in the loft to catch the drips for now to save the water soaking into the insulation and wetting the ceiling, you might need a board or a plank to stand the bucket on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure of the legal side, but I would send in writing (email) stating that unless they get someone out in the next 48 hrs, you will appoint a 3rd party roofing specialist to rectify the issue and this will be back charged to the builder.

 

But first put a drip tray to catch the water water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickP said:

...

What are our rights with this, Is this normal to let a roof have a leak for what'll essentially be 2 months of knowing about it and maybe even longer before that.

...

 

I got the same type of response from a the builders of some flats in Lancaster: right on the riverside by a main road to Morecambe.

I told them that, if the builder hadn't got the issue sorted within the week, I'd have an advertising-type banner made up so that all the commuters passing by could see what sh1te service the company was giving.

 

Monday morning the banner was up for thousands of people to see: the local press were due to come round later that day.

 

Lunchtime Monday work started on the repair.

Banner cost me £50. The best £50 I ever spent.

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickP said:

new build shared ownership


This is the clue - have you told the other party ..?? They will have a liability too and want to ensure their asset is in good condition. 
 

The developer has a duty to repair and I would want to get this done asap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickP said:

Hey.

 

Hope this is right place to post,  my question is in 2 parts really - basically we moved into a new build shared ownership 3 months ago and noticed just after christmas when it was raining we can hear a drip tapping sound on the attic hatch on the upstairs landing , we had a look and it was pretty wet and dripped onto the floor when we took the hatch down , the insulation seemed wet too , so we kept a eye on it and every time it rains the same thing happens after about 2-3 hours the dripping noise starts and we check and its wet again.

 

So we called Orbit homes and they said as it was Xmas time they couldnt do anything about it , and then now there saying they wont be sending anyone till the 24th of February , obviously this is pretty stressful as we're new to house ownership etc, the only reassuring thing is we have no water marks / brown spots etc on the celling on the upstairs rooms it seems to be contained to the attic area for now.

 

What are our rights with this, Is this normal to let a roof have a leak for what'll essentially be 2 months of knowing about it and maybe even longer before that.

 

and also structurally / logically speaking to anyone with knowledge of this , how safe/unsafe is it that it would be 2 months to wait since knowing about it ? 

 

Thanks a lot.

 

You must immediately mitigate the situation.  As suggested above you must inform them in writing that it's a serious problem and give them notice that you will get the matter under control and they might be liable for all costs.  As shared ownership you jointly responsible, although Orbit do say that they will 'fixed' things for the first 12 months. (I have read the shared ownership T&Cs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies , as of posting this we now have water marks on the celling ( without it even raining ! ) and have got them to put it as a 24 hour emergency call out now. Not sure why it takes something bad to happen to get a resolution but hopefully  get it sorted now

 

thanks all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get no joy you can report this to the warranty provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeterW said:

They will have a liability too and want to ensure their asset is in good condition. 

Sadly often not, standard shared ownership arrangements usually hand the full repairing rights to the occupier, the part owner. It seems very unfair, as the part owner is paying rent as well as their mortgage, so there should be a law against it. Their argument is that it is like any home ownership in the sense that the bank take no responsibility for the upkeep. I only discovered this because a friend of mine's daughter was in the same situation and the housing association, very politely told them of their obligations. My friend did some further investigating and found this was the normal stance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been hearing alot over the years about new build developments just beeing thrown up as quickly as possible for a quick buck I hope you get this sorted

 

have a look at this it might help i just did a little google

 

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-new-build-home-has-problems-what-are-my-rights-ab0tt2B3qLBr

Edited by Andrea Long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience the developers or housing associations seem surprisingly remote from any such issues, and regard such instances as a nuisance to them, rather than to you.

They will blame the builder.

 

As above mitigate and write formally, but then keep at it, and keep a file.

 

As well as catching the leaks, keep a diary of the amount of water (not litres, just mugs/ buckets) and the weather.

 

Write to them by recorded delivery, demanding immediate remedy, and copy as much as you like...local councillor, MP. but save the newspapers until it has become an utterly unreasonable delay.

Be reasonable at all times even when despairing. 

 

It may take a long time, but you will probably get there.

 

Do the developers care? If it affects their reputation locally then they do care about that. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 hours after being told we would be given 24 hour emergency call out , we still have no one in sight and a ever worsening leak... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NickP said:

no one in sight and a ever worsening leak.

 

Awful for you.

Keep recording and keep messaging them. 

No chance over the weekend I expect.... remind them of that too, that it was important to keep the Friday promise

 

Is it mugs., or buckets per day? Is the water clear or coloured?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now