Exterior Help

We are planning our bungalow conversion, we will be adding a story on top to create a house. 

Ideally we wanted a new brick design all over but to keep it within (almost) or budget we are going to have to keep the original building so the best option we have is to render over it but then thinking about having the new top half brick. 

The top of the downstairs windows is the height of the current bungalow

What other exterior finishes could we use? We are struggling to find an exterior look we like, we are based in a little village so didn't want to go too modern 

I have attached our elevations, would love any input/ideas from any one 

With render we externally insulate but then if we bricked the top half would this sit too far back and look a bit daft?

Thanks in advance

Front & Side.JPG

Back & Side.JPG

Existing Front.JPG

Edited by richo106

8 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Are you actually converting the bungalow? Or are you going to completely demolish it and rebuild it?

If we had the budget would love to knock it down, I've had several builders who are experienced in house building/renovation  and they say what we are planning is very doable and more cost effective way tp hopefully achieve what want. Obviously we all agree knocking it down is better but budget won't stretch to that. The existing bungalow is structurally very good and good footings.

We just need to over come the issues of insulation and exterior look 

Even though we are now living in the bungalow, if we knocked it down and re-used the footings would this be classed as new build. Would I need to change the plans submitted to planning?

When speaking to the builder he said it would considerably more to knock down and rebuild, I believe the footings would need widening also to accommodate the wider wall structures now. 

Luckily in the job I work in I can materials at a very good discount so hoping to save there. 

Also with claiming the VAT back I don't know if my cash flow could handle claiming it all back at the end 

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for knock down and rebuild.  you will get a MUCH better house and with the zero VAT no more expensive.  there really is not much you would be saving of the old bungalow.

Then add in the fact the layout will be based on what is there at the moment (or jet more knocking down) which will compromise the finished layout.  Complete new build gives you freedom to design it without compromises.

On 02/11/2021 at 11:02, richo106 said:

When speaking to the builder he said it would considerably more to knock down and rebuild

Get him to commit to a a fixed price contract regardless of what he finds wrong with the old building. 

While you're at it throw in that it must meet 1.5 ACH50 or better. That'll make him get down to brass tacks pretty quickly. 

Edited by Iceverge

Split the contract and tender it in two sections - one for the demolition and another for the rebuild. Make sure you have all your i’s dotted and t’s crossed and that you have a tight specification and schedule of works and see what the costs are.