Do you think this is a good sign that planning will go through?

CalvinHobbes

It is not a bad sign.

Neighbours objections tend to be spurious, or raising what the planner would anyway.

So it is one little hurdle, and at least means the neighbours dont hate you.

The planner won't have looked at it yet but should speak to your architect if any issues...silence is usually promising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually I find neighbours objections are not relavant (I don’t like it!), if your architect is any good he will have a feel for what is acceptable for your area so it’s positive so far but I bet the planners have not even looked at it yet and may even ask to extend the period but fingers crossed eh. Even if the planners find fault it’s not the end, I fought 4 planning applications and won hands down at appeal ?

• Thanks 1

Or you get caught by a comment from the conservation officer on the 30th August (last day when consultation closed) demanding a bat survey (min 6 weeks apparently) which can only happen between May and September. There's a full year delay for you sir, enjoy...

not speaking from bitter experience at all...

• Thanks 1

An objection should be based on planning regulations. If a neighbour just does not "like" it that is not a valid objection. 

Even within a planning department you can get awkward or helpful planning officers. Our architect got on very well with the officer who approved our plans. They talked over all the possibilities and came up with the best plans that we were all happy with. When we went back to change some things it was a different officer and, in the end, our architect went to the Chief Planning Officer to complain about her. She blocked everything he suggested but would not explain why. Once she had answered a query she then refused to take his calls or answer his emails. Chief Planning Officer took over the case.

• Like 1

Yes, we did but it was a compromise. We wanted to use and existing farm track as our drive. Planning officer kept putting obstacles in the way and not answering when alternatives were offered. We ended up putting a driveway we will never use on the other side of the site just to satisfy her ego.

On 29/09/2021 at 18:18, patp said:

Yes, we did but it was a compromise. We wanted to use and existing farm track as our drive. Planning officer kept putting obstacles in the way and not answering when alternatives were offered. We ended up putting a driveway we will never use on the other side of the site just to satisfy her ego.

I had a planner like that, went to appeal and won hands down, appeal officer even told her she was not abiding by their own policies ?

• Like 2

Just now, patp said:

Local builders and developers in "the know" seem to have a habit of putting in for planning and then, upon finding out which officer has been allocated to their project, withdrawing the plans.

Or bung a wedge ….. ??

21 minutes ago, patp said:

Local builders and developers in "the know" seem to have a habit of putting in for planning and then, upon finding out which officer has been allocated to their project, withdrawing the plans.

This is so wrong on many levels, I don’t doubt it but there should be local policies dictating what is acceptable. I think every time a planning appeal goes against the planner they get a black mark, too many black marks and they are  sacked ?‍♂️.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

I was told my planning was refused because I didn’t offer a bung!! (By a neighbour ).

Neighbour in the know?

(Discussing this with senior local politics type friends online low level corruption is fairly common, which may be things more like developers giving free labour and materials to Councillor's or Officer's homes to eg do a block paved drive. You don't have things like Poulson or the current Liverpool situation very often.)

12 hours ago, joe90 said:

This is so wrong on many levels, I don’t doubt it but there should be local policies dictating what is acceptable. I think every time a planning appeal goes against the planner they get a black mark, too many black marks and they are  sacked ?‍♂️.

Has anyone ever been sacked from local government?

• Haha 1