Cutting thermalite blocks

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You would need to ask them. The better way is to get the structural timber frame up first as you need to tie the two together and you can't do that from the inside. 

Ok 

I could put ties on my external block work - ready for tieing to timber frame work 

cheers 

You should be erecting the timber frame first,  as it needs to be covered in vapour membrane and the joints taped to meet air tightness Regs. You can't do the external block work first, it's the wrong way to go about things!

edit . Just a thought, my SE required the outside face of the timber frame to be covered in 11mm OSB to provide strength, this would make it impossible to tie the timber frame to the blockwork.

Edited by Triassic

Ok

there seem to be some mutually exclusive things here !

ties to bind the 2 leafs - but can't break vapour membrane ?

timber frame is self supporting so no need to fix to outer leaf - I can't anyway insulation in the way .

Ties for timber frame are screwed to the outer surface of either the timbers or the OSB if present. The screw and tie will cover any hole in the membrane. 

An external single skin of  blockwork is not self supporting at 3m tall and is dangerous - it has to be tied back to the frame as even wind suction could pull it over. 

Do you have the full set of plans for the design ..??

• Like 1

As above, the structural timber frame MUST be erected first, and almost certainly signed off as being in accordance with the SE's design by BC.  Then you can start building the outer leaf, which is non-structural and only there to keep the rain off.  The outer masonry leaf MUST be tied to the inner structural frame, at the approved tie spacing.  Failure to do this will result in a failure similar to that which closed schools built in Scotland under a PFI, where the ties weren't adequate and the walls fell down in a wind.

What's building control got to say?  They presumably have the SE's design calcs and drawings, in order to have signed it off against Part A, so all you need to do is follow the SE's instructions and you should be fine.

Whoaaaaa there!!

your timber frame needs to go up first,roof on,windows & doors fitted,then your outer skin is built with ties fixed to the studs & lintols  over openings also restrained back against the frame. It's about 10 years since I worked on a timber frame,but at that time we were leaving compression gaps above & below all openings in the masonry. Think all the ones built in the 70's have issues with door frames squashing up as the building settles over the years. 

Edited by Brickie
Not enough whoa
  • Like 1

Ok I get the point :-)

but what's wrong with external wall with ties then internal timber frame being assembled in that order ?

what problem does this present ??

my SE has disappeared ! Hence on my own a bit ......

Firstly, building it ass about face will mean you won't be able to fix the ties to the frame, as they are fixed from the outside.  Secondly, an unsupported single leaf will be more liable to fall over under wind loading, when it gets above about a metre and a half high, unless it's propped.  Finally, how are you going to fit the cavity insulation if you build it backwards?

Edited by JSHarris

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Firstly, building it ass about face will mean you won't be able to fix the ties to the frame, as they are fixed from the outside.  Secondly, an unsupported single leaf won't stay plumb, and will be liable to fall over under wind loading, when it gets about about a metre and a half high.  Finally, how are you going to fit the cavity insulation if you build it backwards?

Hmmmm 

ive been told that if I bed my ties in the external block work they can tie to the timber frame internally - though I must admit I don't know how .

re insulation . External wall with ties . Then insulation . Then protruding ties onto timber frame work . Told this by a builder .....

you have to build the structural element first, in your case, the timber frame,

then build the covering, in your case the outer blockwork,

what you are doing is like trying to build a metal clad shed by screwing all the cladding together first and then trying to build the metal framework afterwards

there is nothing there to hold the cladding together.

Sounds like making a rod for your own back to me.  It's dead easy to fix ties to the outside of the structural frame, as you build up the outer skin, so you get them in the right place.  It's also dead easy to fit the cavity insulation as you build up the outer skin.  I can't see any reason at all why you should try and do things the wrong way around.

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hmmmm 

ive been told that if I bed my ties in the external block work they can tie to the timber frame internally - though I must admit I don't know how .

re insulation . External wall with ties . Then insulation . Then protruding ties onto timber frame work . Told this by a builder .....

Just don't do it, you want to be putting OSB on the outside of your timber frame even if you haven't been told to as it helps stiffen everything up (raking strength i think its called)

the way your "builder" friend is suggesting has nothing stopping any moisture in the cavity getting at your structural timbers which to me sounds like a bad idea.

Timber studs - Osb- breather membrane- ties bricks/blocks (rain shield)

`edit: plasterboard - vapour barrier - timber studs ....ect

3 minutes ago, RichS said:

The drawing states breather membrane on ply sheathing etc etc etc.

You can't possibly build that arse about face.

technically he could build it in panels and put the membrane on while they are still on the ground, (I had to on my back wall)

But its a stupid idea and you couldn't tie the two skins together afterwards anyway so as advised above, just don't do it.... :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok I get the point :-)

but what's wrong with external wall with ties then internal timber frame being assembled in that order ?

what problem does this present ??

my SE has disappeared ! Hence on my own a bit ......

Sorry to be blunt but there's no real way of sugar coating this - you urgently need to get some professional help with this build.

Your questions demonstrate a basic lack of understanding of simple construction issues and it's some of the scariest stuff I've ever read on a self-build forum.

What involvement have you had so far with your Building Inspector? Have they approved your foundations?

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

You will also need the frame up first in order to install a cavity tray at g/f  level. 

There are lots of people on here to help (& that's what we're here to do,not to patronise) so please take the advice given to get some professional help in. At the very least,write off the next week as far as progress goes & post as many pictures,architects drawings etc as you can. I can't imagine the stress of a self build-tackling diy outside my own sphere of knowledge is bad enough so I'd hate to see things south for you. 

• Like 3

The bottom line is that we are here to help, you do really need to get the timber frame up first, once you have the roof on, the vapour membrane on the outside and windows in, you will be water tight. Then you can concentrate on the outside rain screen block work .