Some basic plasterboard questions

Crofter

You don't do any filling for the spread ;)

Leave him prep for himself as it needs doing properly ( as in no high filling / build which will cause him issues ). He won't skim over board tape, it'll be scrim tape, and only minutes to apply for a proper spread. :)

Cheers. I was assuming that the deeper fills would need done in layers and the time would start to rack up.

I guess I'll leave the outside corners to do as well, with that nifty foil tape that someone on here suggested.

I did ask about whether the finish would be good enough or we should have a skim coat - he was adamant that a proper 3 stage tape and fill using 6inch, 8 and then 10inch trowel will give just as good a finish. We're going to go room-by room - TnF the kitchen then paint it - if it turns out all right, the whole place will be done that way. 

Could save you a good few bob if you do it yourself... We couldn't afford every romo to be skimmed - I dread to think the square meterage of the walls!

43 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I did ask about whether the finish would be good enough or we should have a skim coat - he was adamant that a proper 3 stage tape and fill using 6inch, 8 and then 10inch trowel will give just as good a finish. We're going to go room-by room - TnF the kitchen then paint it - if it turns out all right, the whole place will be done that way. 

Could save you a good few bob if you do it yourself... We couldn't afford every romo to be skimmed - I dread to think the square meterage of the walls!

I don't mean to be a fly in the ointment but I fear you will be disappointed. Skimming is the only acceptable finish IMHO. ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Do you need to tape and fill moisture resistant  (green) plasterboard if tiling over?

For that matter do you need to fill the screw holes?

I never have. No tiles fallen off.........yet. I do tank all the wet and splash zones so I sleep at night. 

54 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I don't mean to be a fly in the ointment but I fear you will be disappointed. Skimming is the only acceptable finish IMHO. ?

For your pride and joy, the finish is the last thing you'll be looking at for life, so I'd agree, TnF'd just doesn't cut it. I don't care how good a blob of filler is sanded, it's still proud of the board. Skim for me every single time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

For your pride and joy, the finish is the last thing you'll be looking at for life, so I'd agree, TnF'd just doesn't cut it. I don't care how good a blob of filler is sanded, it's still proud of the board. Skim for me every single time. 

+1, PROVIDING it's done by a good spread. If there is any doubt, ask to see a job he has done to check his skill.

We are intending ours to be plastered.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

My house was built on a department of agriculture grant in the 70s. It isn't even taped and filled- they simply painted over the plasterboard. Some of the rooms have been papered, but you can still lie in bed and count nail heads as you drift off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

+1, PROVIDING it's done by a good spread. If there is any doubt, ask to see a job he has done to check his skill.

We are intending ours to be plastered.

Yes. Totally agree. I suppose we assume too much on here and hope that each person will be blessed with great tradespeople, but unfortunately a few butchers still get through the net :/

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes. Totally agree. I suppose we assume too much on here and hope that each person will be blessed with great tradespeople, but unfortunately a few butchers still get through the net :/

I nominate Nick for best mixed metaphor on Buildhub!

• Like 1

Just a wee tip in case it helps anyone else- whilst I was looking around for something to use as support on board joints that didn't have a batten under them, I came across what seems an ideal material: offcuts of 22mm chipboard flooring. My cavity is 25mm so it's a snug but easy fit, the chipboard is pretty stiff, and I had a pile of offcuts that were going to end up in a skip otherwise.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Just a wee tip in case it helps anyone else- whilst I was looking around for something to use as support on board joints that didn't have a batten under them, I came across what seems an ideal material: offcuts of 22mm chipboard flooring. My cavity is 25mm so it's a snug but easy fit, the chipboard is pretty stiff, and I had a pile of offcuts that were going to end up in a skip otherwise.

My tip would be less eloquent......"use whatever ? you have laying around as you'll never see it again" ;)

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

My tip would be less eloquent......"use whatever ? you have laying around as you'll never see it again" ;)

Oh the horror! 

Cut it square, sand the edges, maybe paint then hoover it all before you cover it up. You never know who's going to look in there in 20 years time and think "What anal f***wit had too much time on their hands (or a wife he wanted to avoid)?" :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Are there such places as tiling retreats? :)

I'm opening up a landscaping retreat in my backyard.

You can have mates' rates, so I'll only charge you half price. Can't say fairer than that.

Edited by daiking
  • Like 2