toilet glaze

CalvinHobbes

Years ago I visited a factory which made toilets in Stafford and a worker there explained the grading of toilet bowls. He showed me how imperfections would catch the faeces and in addition if you get one with minimal blemishes you should get  several layers of glazing would make the faeces not stick, reducing the need for endless cleaning products. He explained hotels tended to have higher grade toilets which stores like B&Q sold the lowest quality ranges. Recently whilst preparing to get building I visited a few bathroom stores  - they just looked blank when I asked about the grade of the toilet. Is there any such thing now? I will skimp on many things (eg. the sink) but the toilet bowls I want to get right. Should I just look at hotel suppliers? 

Edited by CalvinHobbes

7 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Years ago I visited a factory which made toilets in Stafford and a worker there explained the grading of toilet bowls. He showed me how imperfections would catch the faeces and in addition if you get one with minimal blemishes you should get  several layers of glazing would make the faeces not stick, reducing the need for endless cleaning products. He explained hotels tended to have higher grade toilets which stores like B&Q sold the lowest quality ranges. Recently whilst preparing to get building I visited a few bathroom stores  - they just looked blank when I asked about the grade of the toilet. Is there any such thing now? I will skimp on many things (eg. the sink) but the toilet bowls I want to get right. Should I just look at hotel suppliers? 

Coincidence or not, but I’ve just mentioned Duravit. They do a coating called WundaGliss ( spelling may be wrong ) which does what you’re looking for. I would bet that other brands offer similar coatings / refinery. 
Some brands to consider would be Duravit, Geberit, HansGrohe, Grohe, Vado, V&B and possibly RAK. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there is a formal grading system, at least not that consumers can reference. I suppose some factories that make WC for several different brands may offer different grades to them.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

I am going to suggest there is no such thing as a grade 1 toilet and a grade 2, 3 etc. in terms of a marketable grading, maybe within a factory certainly.

Perhaps it would be like saying a Clio is a grade 3 car and a BMW 5 series is a grade 1 - it doesn't really work that way but we all know a BMW is going to have far better build quality, will go on longer and is frankly a better car. 

So buy a £45 toilet in B&Q and you get what you pay for.

What you notice about hotels and restaurants is they always use the likes or Armitage Shanks etc. I am sure if you called them up and explained what you are talking about they would be able to tell you the difference between the quality they make vs a £45 pan - however, like most of the better brands, they had to compete in the cheaper markets, BMW brought out their 1 series and Armitage Shanks probably does a budget cheap pan, so do your homework and shop about but don't listen to sales personnel!

• Thanks 1

Spookily enough one of our toilets (not expensive) has just developed a cracked glaze in the pan , I thought it just needed cleaning but the glaze has definitely cracked so it will need replacing at some time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

I am going to suggest there is no such thing as a grade 1 toilet and a grade 2, 3 etc. in terms of a marketable grading, maybe within a factory certainly.

Perhaps it would be like saying a Clio is a grade 3 car and a BMW 5 series is a grade 1 - it doesn't really work that way but we all know a BMW is going to have far better build quality, will go on longer and is frankly a better car. 

So buy a £45 toilet in B&Q and you get what you pay for.

What you notice about hotels and restaurants is they always use the likes or Armitage Shanks etc. I am sure if you called them up and explained what you are talking about they would be able to tell you the difference between the quality they make vs a £45 pan - however, like most of the better brands, they had to compete in the cheaper markets, BMW brought out their 1 series and Armitage Shanks probably does a budget cheap pan, so do your homework and shop about but don't listen to sales personnel!

Fair enough but this wasnt a sales man, the guy was literally on the factory floor making them. Will indeed contact Armitage Shanks and ask. Cheers. 

22 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Fair enough but this wasnt a sales man, the guy was literally on the factory floor making them. Will indeed contact Armitage Shanks and ask. Cheers. 

I understand that but you said that you were getting blank expression from sales staff when trying to buy a toilet, they will not have a clue what you mean.

Internally in any factory there is always a grading or quality control system, maybe all produced items are saleable but at different prices depending on defects or maybe it is just a pass/fail. So the guy you spoke to would know his own factories QC system.