Glass splashback or . . .

In our ensuite we have showerwall panels Urban Concrete in our shower and we definitely don't want the panels on any other walls as it's 'too much'.

The bathroom cabinets are a grey colour from Roper Rhodes and the vanity has a granite top not dissimilar to the Urban Concrete.

We need something on the back wall of bath but aren't quite sure what. Tiles are a definite no as it has to be easy to maintain and clean and after showerwall I'd never have tiles again. 

We somehow acquired a piece of smoked glass which is from a walk in shower. I think when we got one shower ex display it got put in with it accidently and we are thinking it could look pretty smart as a splashback. It's 200 x 116 and will fit along the back wall behind the bath nicely but it's around 4mm thick and large. I'm guessing it can't be drilled as it has the triangle printed on it so probably is toughened?? Thoughts and advice on using this and how to attach smoked glass to the wall??  Is there some form of bracket we could use? It's a solid wall.

Wall behind the bath:

IMG_20210804_204659.thumb.jpg.be51a9d31fcc7dbb239b79956ce37ebf.jpg

Showerwall:

IMG_20210804_204738.thumb.jpg.4535c57d46eb5f6199c536ca402ccbc0.jpg

Vanity:

IMG_20210804_204712.thumb.jpg.11a0ee489743ed0ceb8d21c010fefb5e.jpg

EN 14428 is the standard for shower screens so highly likely it is toughened. 
When you say it is smoked can you see through it at all ..? You can paint the back of glass to make it opaque and then bond it or use a channel to hold it to the wall - will be fun to try lifting it over that bath ..!

• Thanks 1

Another thought - it is clearly not going to cover the entire wall. What is the wall makeup - green board? Whilst green is 'moisture resistant' it will rot like (expletive deleted) over time so you would need to be tanking it. Not something you want to look at through clear glass.

Just now, PeterW said:

EN 14428 is the standard for shower screens so highly likely it is toughened. 
When you say it is smoked can you see through it at all ..? You can paint the back of glass to make it opaque and then bond it or use a channel to hold it to the wall - will be fun to try lifting it over that bath ..!

Yes you can see, not like clear glass but it's not completely opaque. It's so heavy we managed to move it from outside where it has been since Xmas into the house as we were going to try and get rid of it but it nearly killed us! but I quite like the idea of glass but there is the issue of fixing it to the wall and the printed mark too which I presume can't be got rid of. May have to look at pricing up a piece of glass instead.

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

Another thought - it is clearly not going to cover the entire wall. What is the wall makeup - green board? Whilst green is 'moisture resistant' it will rot like (expletive deleted) over time so you would need to be tanking it. Not something you want to look at through clear glass.

It would pretty much cover the whole length and about 600mm above the top of the bath. It doesn't need to be to the ceiling rather just enough to account for splashes up the wall.

Good point about the walls. I'm sure the green board was used in the shower area but we have the showerwall panels over the top. I don't know about this wall though.....

I don't see how glass will be better than tiles? It will be exactly the same in terms of cleaning required with the exception of the grout.  

I personally don't like wet wall (I assume that's what shower wall is) I don't know why I find it a low quality finish albeit can be very expensive and looks nice. I feel like it's cheating not using tiles. 

13 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

exception of the grout

Exactly this!

13 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

personally don't like wet wall (I assume that's what shower wall is) I don't know why I find it a low quality finish albeit can be very expensive and looks nice. I feel like it's cheating not using tiles

I was sceptical but we love it. We did go for a matt textured version which wasn't dissimilar to the sort of tile we would have had. I don't like the gloss versions of wet wall/showerwall.

• Like 1

+1 fir showerwall after years of trying to clean grout. Why do you need to cover the wall?, I have a freestanding bath with just painted walls (bath/kitchen paint) and any water just gets wiped off.

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

+1 fir showerwall after years of trying to clean grout. Why do you need to cover the wall?, I have a freestanding bath with just painted walls (bath/kitchen paint) and any water just gets wiped off.

We don't have proper bath/kitchen paint as we only had everything sprayed/mist coated before moving in to avoid the pink plaster look for 12 months. We will get it done properly decorated next year with all the woodwork etc we have a few screws that have popped etc (likely as it was plastered in winter, cold weather, heating on etc).

It's more for splashes up the wall which SWMBO tells me occur when cleaning the bath/rinsing with the shower head or rinsing conditioner off hair (I just do that when I've finished in the bath and take the two steps to the shower)! 

You may be right and that a better paint makes all the difference. I don't think the glass we were trying to make good use of is going to work..

This is just a thought: instead of glass, how about a mirror? A big one. Mounted on battens. 

In a previous life I cleaned windows to pay my way round university. A really posh (super-posh) customer had me clean her bathroom mirror each time I came round: floor to ceiling (2.5 ish high)  at least 3 meters long. Took me half an hour to clean properly  (shoes off stand in the bath job). Hell it looked good. Doubled the size of the room. 

And NO, @pocster, I didn't crack it......?

21 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You could get a design/ artwork printed and use this as a decorative piece which will then be covered and sealed by the glass covering. 

Wouldn't be too expensive to get a few fixing holes drilled in the glass.

We would have to get a new piece of glass cut as we can't drill the piece we have as it is toughened. In my last house I had a piece of clear glass over the sink which I had cut and drilled and just used mirror screws/caps. When I changed the colour of the walls I just unscrewed it and painted behind it but this was only a small piece!

1 minute ago, ToughButterCup said:

This is just a thought: instead of glass, how about a mirror? A big one. Mounted on battens. 

In a previous life I cleaned windows to pay my way round university. A really posh (super-posh) customer had me clean her bathroom mirror each time I came round: floor to ceiling (2.5 ish high)  at least 3 meters long. Took me half an hour to clean properly  (shoes off stand in the bath job). Hell it looked good. Doubled the size of the room. 

And NO, @pocster, I didn't crack it......?

I'm not sure I'd want to look at a reflection of  a naked version of me everytime I got in the bath - I'm not that body confident!

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We would have to get a new piece of glass cut as we can't drill the piece we have as it is toughened. In my last house I had a piece of clear glass over the sink which I had cut and drilled and just used mirror screws/caps. When I changed the colour of the walls I just unscrewed it and painted behind it but this was only a small piece!

There is bound to be some sort of clip/bracket type system that you could use. Then silicone around the edge to seal it up.

• Thanks 1

I have used these in the past, can hardly see them and you can remove the glass to decorate!  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193076194765?epid=13039745116&hash=item2cf43cedcd:g:fLgAAOSwkwVePSe5

p.s. Is this a solid wall or plasterboard. Might find it difficult to find mountings/fixings fir heavy stuff on plasterboard unless you have timbers behind to fix too.

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have used these in the past, can hardly see them and you can remove the glass to decorate!  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193076194765?epid=13039745116&hash=item2cf43cedcd:g:fLgAAOSwkwVePSe5

p.s. Is this a solid wall or plasterboard. Might find it difficult to find mountings/fixings fir heavy stuff on plasterboard unless you have timbers behind to fix too.

It's a solid wall it's just if they will hold the weight of the glass. It's unbelievably heavy.

36 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It's a solid wall it's just if they will hold the weight of the glass.

Several along the bottom, good screws and rawlplugs, couple at the top. ?

This is beginning to sound like rather a lot of work for one piece of unused glass.

Why not make it into a table?

And paint the wall with bathroom paint or a scene of palm trees.

Or get a huge piece of wall-art that fills the most of the wall. Not expensive in the context of self-building a house. Even one of your own photos.

eg https://www.photowall.co.uk/

Hilton Hotels use them to great effect in the entrance corridors to their rooms. In their case they put a mirror opposite.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

n a previous life I cleaned windows to pay my way round university. A really posh (super-posh) customer had me clean her bathroom mirror each time I came round: floor to ceiling (2.5 ish high)  at least 3 meters long. Took me half an hour to clean properly  (shoes off stand in the bath job).

@ToughButterCup, any more ‘confessions of a window cleaner’ you would like to share ? Maybe a different thread or even a blog?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Or get a huge piece of wall-art that fills the most of the wall. Not expensive in the context of self-building a house. Even one of your own photos.

eg https://www.photowall.co.uk/

I think we are going to just paint the wall but then add some photos into acrylic from our travels.

We have a few photos onto acrylic - they look amazing. My wife got this one printed for my birthday and it's in our cloaks bathroom. I took it in Colombia and the colours look great.

IMG_20210806_102417.thumb.jpg.621407928a88e862098171d56111195e.jpg

IMG_20210806_102308.thumb.jpg.59921ef79e996c947fd2ddddbc327a87.jpg

• Like 3

Have you considered @pocster's walk on glazing leaned on the wall?

He'd probably give it away by now, if you collect.

Bristol is only at the far end of the Kennet & Avon. You can tie it to the side of the boat like a glazing van. I seem to recall that you are west of London?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2