Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

Posted (edited)

Well, technically, we can move in. I needed to get the downstairs bathroom finished which I’ve just done. Electrical/fire sign off was completed last week and I’ve got the certs. Stairs are finished. I’ve configured the Loxone system which is mostly working as we need. Still lots to do for final sign off but BC have said we are fine to move in now. We’ve also gained two orphaned lambs so that takes care of the grass cutting 😂

I also plumbed in the drinking water tap so it effectively is straight out the borehole through a pre-filter, into an accumulator, through another filter then UV then to the tap. Tastes lovely. 

IMG_2210.jpeg.b482ee3ee00b9420e31d0ef97a75c99a.jpegIMG_2209.jpeg.03a938ad9f0e3e77bc1c0b971082f537.jpegIMG_2208.jpeg.66f59e3878fd4b033d0adab573ecf762.jpegIMG_2201.jpeg.81a52a89995d835932061868ce5a601a.jpeg4f5e78df-714c-495a-a8af-6392084bb193.jpeg.a268d670f433f0f257b9cd028533cd78.jpegIMG_2179.jpeg.f47bc7fd2eca356282872f39d7e1f3d9.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

We’ve also gained two orphaned lambs

Be careful.. 5 months ago, we had no livestock, just some poultry (hens and ducks), we then got four in lamb Ewes, followed by 6 more in lamb Ewes. 

Before our lambing we (as in the royal we) adopted a sickly boy as a pet, shortly followed by 2 more pet lambs, then our lambing produced 13, 2 lambs didn't make it, and one mum faltered shortly after giving us our 4th pet lamb, then last week the local farmer dropped of a thin twin who wasn't getting fed  to join the rest of the bottle brigade.

So the total stands at 9 Ewes, 10 lambs running with their mums and 5 pet lambs pictured below- fun fact it seems lamb powdered milk is equivalent in cost to gold by the ounce. 

lambs.thumb.jpg.aa954882e3e4b365a6420ab192032e16.jpg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I have had that very conversation with my wife telling her I don’t want to become an accidental shepherd. That said Big Ears is very sweet. She loves a cuddle.

The black blob in the picture is actually a chicken chick. The mother hen on the farm rears a lot of chicks and very few survive. She’s a brutal parent and abandons them quite early. This chick is the last remaining of the last 6 that hatched and has become best buddies with Big Ears. They cuddle up together. We have 7 hens so hopefully the little chick will make it and become part of the gang. 

Yes I think it was £40 for the bag of the powdered milk. 

Edited by Kelvin

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Sheep don't die, then. 

Oh she died, still waiting for the bill....  

I’ve worked on farms in my youth but all arable. The farm we currently live on has some livestock. We’ve not really got used to the amount of death that goes on. I moved our orphaned lambs to the opposite side of the barn where they brought all the dead lambs before disposal. 

4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I’ve worked on farms in my youth but all arable. The farm we currently live on has some livestock. We’ve not really got used to the amount of death that goes on. I moved our orphaned lambs to the opposite side of the barn where they brought all the dead lambs before disposal. 

Yes we helped our local farmer with lambing (payment was our Ewes we there as well), there was over 250 Ewes, and the dead lambs mount up. Plus the odd calf or ewe that doesn't make it 😔 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Kelvin you’ve provided a lot

of food for thought for me by documenting your experience on here, really appreciate it. Very keen to hear more about your experience with HebHomes as we’re considering going with them for a longhouse SIPS build in Ayrshire. Got a call with the MD this afternoon…

Also looking at Sylvan Model D as the plot has existing full planning based on one of their kits. 

Love that you’ve gone for the black finishes - the house and garage look amazing but know it’s taken a huge commitment and a load of hard work for you to get them to this stage. 

51 minutes ago, melonseeds said:

Hi @Kelvin you’ve provided a lot

of food for thought for me by documenting your experience on here, really appreciate it. Very keen to hear more about your experience with HebHomes as we’re considering going with them for a longhouse SIPS build in Ayrshire. Got a call with the MD this afternoon…

This will give you the public info... https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/search/?&q=Heb&quick=1&author=Kelvin&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Thanks 1

Good to talk earlier. Good luck! 

In other news we got the temporary occupation certificate this morning. I had assumed this was a straightforward thing to get but not necessarily. The default position is building standards want your house completely finished before you are allowed to move in. They ‘may’ grant you a temporary occupation certificate but it’s not guaranteed. Something for everyone to be mindful of. This is in Scotland and Perth & Kinross council. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to contribute financially to running this forum. How do I go about it? 

Buildhub has been a tremendous resource. From general advice to answering specific questions to just being a place for me off load. It also saved our bacon by putting us in touch with @Gus Potter who helped address a number of issues the builder caused us. We have a far better house in no small part due to this forum. We shall be forever grateful. 

5 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Buildhub has been a tremendous resource. From general advice to answering specific questions to just being a place for me off load. It also saved our bacon by putting us in touch with @Gus Potter who helped address a number of issues the builder caused us. We have a far better house in no small part due to this forum. We shall be forever grateful. 

On 14/06/2024 at 12:55, Kelvin said:

@Kelvin Thank you for the mention.

Making a donation is easy to BH .Get in touch with @newhome who is a star. (Ed: From March 2024 donations to Buildhub need to be done through @AliG please. Although you can contribute directly via paypal using the buildhub email address but please let @AliGknow, unless you wish to remain anonymous,  via a Personal Message (PM) you have done it as we cannot see who dropped the money otherwise.)