Bricks not matching samples?

Dan1983

Morning guys,

Sure this panic has been posted before but our facing bricks have now turned up on site.

Ive opened one pack and they really don’t look like the online pictures or samples.

Have checked the labels and they are correct as ordered.

As they are a blend do you tend to have to mix packs?

There really isn’t the colour variation I expected.

Having a panic as this could cause a 2 month delay.

Also is there usually an option to return them in this situation?

I guess they will look different when laid but at this moment I’m really unsure and don’t want to get this step of the build wrong.

Bottom picture is from the brochure.  

9196-CE28-31-F4-46-C6-81-E1-D75288-E4-A6
CA400-EDB-463-E-46-F8-A377-5-A32-AA7129-
C7-EC1969-BB64-421-C-9123-316854-D87-ABD
image hosting

Edited by Dan1983

I'm a novice so more experienced people will chime in I'm sure.

First pragmatic question: would you be OK with how it'll look - i.e. laying what got delivered?

Do you have a picture of the samples to compare to what got delivered? Pictures 1 + 2 look the same. 3rd picture looks different only because of the dark patches.

I don't work in bricks but I have worked in manufacturing - sometimes things get mislabelled in the factory, and normal batch production variables mean samples are never exact.

Someone I know recently discovered an entire warehouse stock worth of anchracite radiators were in fact chrome ones in the anchracite box. 3 returned deliveries it took... and a very delayed bathroom.

What does the manufacturer say about guaranteeing production bricks match samples? Are they receptive and willing to help you sort it or are they giving you the cold shoulder? Can you find a third real life source of this brick to match to compare to your sample and delivery?

I’m guessing the top picture is what have been delivered 

If that’s the case they look like a totally different brick to the bottom ones 

Probably the same brick Top a plain Bottom a mix 

1 hour ago, Dan1983 said:

You should always mix packs even if not a blend. It's not uncommon for there to be variations between pallets. I'm sure many people have ended up with a horizontal line around their house.

We used a mix of two different bricks and so had to mix them up anyway.

Never rely on pictures to give a true colour (ask me how I know ?) but you say they don’t match the sample which should be a real brick or a part brick cut. Open the other packs to check them. Always mix packs when laying, this is done with bricks, tiles etc as colour can vary slightly but much less noticeable when mixed up. If your not happy then ring the supplier, you will be looking at these fir a long time. We picked a paint cut for our windows from an iPad and when they turned up we’re completely different from what we thought, but, we have grown to like , even love the colour (luckily).

Would be running 3 or 4 open packs (but keep them covered and dry) and mix as you go. Could give Ibstock a quick call to see how many variations they expect in a pack and validate the packing labels. 

2 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

I didn't have to because each pack contained a balanced mix, though within a pack there were some clusters of a single type within the blend. I offered to mix packs for my brickie but he said it would be a waste of time because the packs were so well blended.

What time of day did you take the first photo? I ask because the evening sun can emphasize the red part of the colour spectrum.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

21 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Never rely on pictures to give a true colour (ask me how I know ?) but you say they don’t match the sample which should be a real brick or a part brick cut.

Quite. I think the OP has made a basic error by ordering bricks based on photos.

Even so the blend delivered is so far away from the catalogue photo (complete absence of black/dark bricks) I think he has a case to reject the whole lot. I would caution against opening further packs because this will make their pickup and removal from site more problematic.

The top picture still looks like a plain

and bottom a mix to me 

The bricks should be ready sorted into packs 

Bricklayers won’t start sorting through packs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

Ive opened one pack and they really don’t look like the online pictures or samples.

But he mentioned samples, these should be accurate. @Dan1983 how dissimilar are the bricks from the sample?

Call their rep and ask him how many packs it’s ok to open and check incase he needs to take them back and exchange. Get his email, send him the pics, get return mail confirming you can open packs to check. He may well just come out to site.

Sorry late reply guys.

I don’t  have the samples anymore but they did have a good colour variation.

The pictures were taken in direct sun light last night at about 1900.

I have since found some more pictures online and they don’t look too bad on a build but still unsure.

Its a nightmare scenario as the national park take up-to 6 weeks to approve materials so this could set us back 2 months as a guess, that’s if we can even return the bricks?

will post some pictures of another build 

Ok so ... you provided the park the sample based on the ones you were given. The names of the bricks match the sample and what you have ordered so in good faith you have discharged your condition and that’s all you need to do. 

If it really worries you, give Ibstock technical a call and get them to make the decision for you. 

By the looks of the Ibstock photo they are a multi stock brick but the ones so far out of the pack all look uniform and a lot redder.  Might be worth digging another 50 or so out of the pack to see if it improves - keep to the one band popped.

My experience with Ibstock bricks is that they do arrive rather dusty and settle in the weather - see the lift banding on one of mine at the joist lift and plate lift - these will all settle to the same colour as the ground floor once weathered.  Don't know if it is worth having a go at them with a pressure washer to see if things change?

P1_watertight.jpg

1 hour ago, Dan1983 said:

Its a nightmare scenario as the national park take up-to 6 weeks to approve materials so this could set us back 2 months

Will they even notice?, if anything they have not sent the bricks you wanted/had a sample so if you do change them why would you have to re submit???

Just can’t risk anything with new forest nation park they are mega strict!

Was due to concrete pour tomorrow to DPC, builder asking if he can use the bricks to DPC level but thinking I should hold off

Once you build to splash you are pretty committed to the brick! In terms of the authorities I would have thought you were pretty well covered if you have the consent for that brick and the delivery note to confirm that is what has been delivered.

The only question is whether you are happy with it?

The second lot of pictures you posted have red mortar.  I assume you are using standard mortar.

If you are sure that the bricks you have are the same make as those that were approved and you are happy with them, just carry on.

With the shortage in labour and materials at the moment you would be crazy to stand your builder and bricklayer down.

Faz you are correct they are mega dusty, first pack has quite a few breakages also.

I will go back round and clean a few up.

They are Ibstock Ivanhoe cottage blend.

Sorry I’m not worried about the national park picking out the difference in appearance as I would be covered that they are the correct ones by stock name.

The issue is I’m not sure I like the look of them, really didn’t want anything too red or orange and liked the spectrum of yellow/ white and black on the samples and pictures.

I would be using grey mortar which would break them up rather than the red pictured in the extra photos.

Understand the point regarding standing the labour down but I had a good vision of how I wanted the property to look from the start and really don’t want to compromise that.

As you say many shortages, these bricks took 8 weeks and came direct from Ibstock.

4-6 weeks for planning approval then a further wait to order/ deliver would put the project back by quite some margin 

Edited by Dan1983

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Once you build to splash you are pretty committed to the brick!

In my part of the world it is common practice to have a different brick below splash, 3 courses of grey engineering bricks showing below dpc would look good and engineering reds might work.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Just got back from site, given a few bricks a rinse off under the tap as water on site.

Fair amount of red dust streaming off.

Left them to dry so will re visit in the morning.

Going to meet the builder over there and break open the other two packs and have a sort through.

He is keen to push on understandably as has concrete booked for tomorrow but if i don’t like the bricks I will have to halt proceedings.