Ouch - Timber frame price up £4,600 between design and manufacture

Haylingbilly

3 hours ago, Bramco said:

I posted this one the materials price thread.

40% drop in timber prices in the US in June -> https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/lumber-prices-dive-more-than-40percent-in-june-biggest-monthly-drop-on-record.html

So patience may be needed.

All being well our TF goes up in August - just hope the wood is already in stock at the manufacturers.....

Id been advised it was to drop towards the back end of the year and then got another email  this morning from a large supplier warning of more price hikes with timber by far and above the biggest hike... some timber products OSB in particular due another 40% rise in 3 weeks ?

Edited by Ronan 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Omi said:

What's the CSV file structure?

It's like this, after the header row, a row for each product.

Item, Store, Description, Website

1, Wickes, 18mm OSB, https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General-Purpose-Oriented-Standard-Board-3-OSB-3---18-x-1220-x-2440mm/p/110517

The code still needs work, especially to export the prices to a csv file, with rows of date checked and prices scraped.

Edited by Moonshine
  • Thanks 1

We started building our workshop at around the peak on wood prices back in May - cost 50% more than my original budget in the end, largely due to the cost of the wood. We are now sweating about the decision to build a TF house, and our architect has even suggested that we rethink our choice of building material.

The difficulty is, having made so many plans based around TF for environmental reasons, we are struggling to find another option with which we are comfortable. I'm starting to wonder if we ought to consider one of the large TF companies for a quote, as we have thus far only planned on a stick build from a trusted builder who can build us a passive house.

This is the stuff that keeps me awake in the middle of the night if my brain starts whirring. I've even begun wondering if we are bonkers to think about starting a build now!

11 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I've even begun wondering if we are bonkers to think about starting a build now!

Maybe....

And don't worry it goes on and on and on....

Hopefully our TF will go up in the next few weeks - contract signed last year.

But today, we heard that our groundworks contractor had been contacted by his lorry driver who is due to do the muckaway to a local farmer. The lorry firm is worried that they haven't the usual certificates about the soil....     This is from an open field that has had a few sheep and horses on it for the last 100 years or more.... to someone who is happy to take as much as we can send them....

The joys of self build!

Simon

• Like 1

18mm MR MDF price up 15% in 5 weeks.  LBM will only sell me 5 bags of cement at a time.

Utter madness really.  When the only really worthwhile investment on the planet is property its to be expected I guess.

39 minutes ago, CC45 said:

18mm MR MDF price up 15% in 5 weeks.  LBM will only sell me 5 bags of cement at a time.

Utter madness really.  When the only really worthwhile investment on the planet is property its to be expected I guess.

If that is true 

maybe I can get someone to build my house for me and they can have it when I die --which will be in next 20-25 years i expect

any offers???

On 09/07/2021 at 17:26, Ferdinand said:

Just bought my first lot of 63x28 CLS for a time.

Bottom price here seems to be about £5 for a 2.4m.

Last lot I bought was several years ago for about £2.

?  

It’s about that at wickes inc vat.

Learned this week -

the USA aren’t buying our ply or osb it’s lack of production by norbord and egger.

timber won’t be going down significantly in price.

At  this point it is worth a reminder that if you have certain Employee Benefit cards, you can get an extra 10% off at Wickes on top of the Trade Discount.

I have done very little maintenance / building work until recently to justify this. And I lost my Westfield Membership as it was mum's Westfield Health card, and she popped her clogs.

Covered in my big old discount thread:

• Like 1