crane and telehandler

We have been informed that we need to get our blocks off a lorry, our project is in a domestic built setting. So wed assume we would be best with a telehandler to do that part.

Sadly the property was developed about fifteen years ago and they basically took all but a narrow passage away, so talking to our SE he suggested the possible use of a crane to get the blocks off the road ASAP and secure into our garden.

Have others had to use stuff like this sort of equipment? what was your experience?

I can see the day being a tad busy and a need for precise and exact timetabling!  

Edited by ianfish

How wide is the  entrance? A 6m or 7m telehandler isn't much bigger than a car but much more manoeuvrable and will easily offload a bail of blocks with a block grab. It'll cost £150+ a day while a crane will be £600+

+1 to the telehandler but you’ll need to request a block grab. I’m assuming you’re having a full load of 22 packs - where are you going to put them as they can only go 2 packs high on rough ground and that’s a lot to have on a site with poor access. 

What are you doing about other bulk materials such as sand and cement etc ..??

you don’t want a telehandler, it’s too big, you need a small forklift call a buggyscopic,  not a lot bigger than a 3 tonne dumper, your packs of blocks are not heavy compared to a pack of concrete blocks so no problem with weight. 

You are still looking at a couple of hundred quid.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conor said:

How wide is the  entrance? A 6m or 7m telehandler isn't much bigger than a car but much more manoeuvrable and will easily offload a bail of blocks with a block grab. It'll cost £150+ a day while a crane will be £600+

Entrance wise sub 800mm

Hence why the SE suggested a crane

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

you don’t want a telehandler, it’s too big, you need a small forklift call a buggyscopic,  not a lot bigger than a 3 tonne dumper, your packs of blocks are not heavy compared to a pack of concrete blocks so no problem with weight. 

You are still looking at a couple of hundred quid.  

Locally we asked that and had been told a forklift might be a bit of a challenge getting on off kerbs.

If these materials are all going into the back garden and you only have 800mm then craning them over the house might be the only way.

The crane will be big and need some very solid ground for the outriggers and quite a bit of space.  You will need a slinger to offload and a signaller at the back garden with a radio to the crane driver.  Get all your heavy materials the same day and all into the garden spread to as near to where they will be used as possible.  It will cost a fair bit but then it is done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ianfish said:

Entrance ... sub 800mm

800mm -  Mellisa McC. wouldn't get through that with even her slimmest handbag.... What you need is a really super-fit and willing belly dancer then innit?

Sounds like a crane job to me. When we investigated , we found a small local crane company that was willing to give us a day's work for £500

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markc said:

This is sounding more and more like you need to get the stuff onto a Hiab lorry and delivered that way, even if it means transferring onto crane truck at a nearby carpark etc.

I did contact a local builders merchant who we have had a few k worth of buisness with they "declined" so we wo t be back to them for the other 20k worth of materials 

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

If these materials are all going into the back garden and you only have 800mm then craning them over the house might be the only way.

The crane will be big and need some very solid ground for the outriggers and quite a bit of space.  You will need a slinger to offload and a signaller at the back garden with a radio to the crane driver.  Get all your heavy materials the same day and all into the garden spread to as near to where they will be used as possible.  It will cost a fair bit but then it is done.

We have the built road outside its just it has the nuisance of being already built with a an opening a wheel barrow just goes through, but care with knuckles needs to be taken!

1 minute ago, ianfish said:

We have the built road outside its just it has the nuisance of being already built with a an opening a wheel barrow just goes through, but care with knuckles needs to be taken!

I have worked with similar and when we did the back garden I had to 'modify' a couple of wheelbarrows with a lump hammer to make them fit the gap.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ianfish said:

We have been informed that we need to get our blocks off a lorry,

Along with all the other questions about off-lift service, have you specifically asked the company to quote for off-lift and alternatively have you asked if you can arrange your own transport to collect the load and drop it off at your place with off-lift? I paid about £700 for the collection and delivery of some long beams on a dedicated artic.

I'm amazed at the prices mentioned so far for crane hire. Around us I couldn't get anything less than about 1k for a day's hire of a crane with sufficient reach to get over the house, which was for full contract hire. Even when I hired a crane with operator and crane only it was something like £750 + VAT.

Otherwise, it's probably a forklift and then break up the packs to manually haul around the house, or use something like I've got that goes through doorways. It's been brilliant for me to get things round the tight spaces on my site (I've also taken things up stairs with it):

FdonAa6tXUSoN5VEBx2Pow_1.jpg

• Thanks 1