Cutting cast soil pipe

Tennentslager

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Is the existing cast iron soil pipe in use? 

Assuming you're replacing above the new swept tee.... you must be otherwise you'd never get it (the tee) 

It's in use...

Not replacing above as the toilet above is fully tiled and the cast continues through the roof!

New tee will be secured with these

http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/Flexseal-Couplings/Drain-Couplings.htm

Ok.

Firstly I'd look at ventilating the crawl space with a blower / BFO fan. Next, go outside and remove the manhole cover to ventilate the foul network so any accumulated gasses can dissipate. 

Then I'd get a 4" angle grinder ( gloves goggles etc blah blah blah ) with a thin slitting disc and cut out a slot in the middle of the piece you've marked out for removal, say 150-200mm high and as far around the stack as you can safely get. Before finishing the cut, gaffa tape / secure the off-cut so it cannot fall down the inside of the pipe ;) 

Once removed, then you can start to remove smaller sections of the remaining piece of cast, piece by piece, as you can now feed the grinder deeper into the pipe with the space you've gained by cutting out the first section. Roll up a couple of rubble sacks and shove them down the cast to act as a debris plug. Complete the bottom cut by angling the grinder down slightly, taking care as you complete the cut as the grinder may bite if any downward force / weight is free to move downwards. Once happy that the cast won't drop any further, angle the grinder upwards and complete the top cut. 

Mark out the actual size of the section you need to remove and repeat the above until your done. 

Bingo bango. 

Edited to add : don't go for the full cut first time as you may damage the pipe during the initial cut ;). Always cut out a section first to see if the upper section of pipe is secure and then proceed to the final cut accordingly. 

Oh, and good luck. ?

Thanks to all, especially @Triassic and @Nickfromwales.

This job may take some planning, reckon I'll have to cut the outside wall to get the new pipe in as its 3m long and won't go in from the hole in the floor.

This will give a nice vent for what will be a dusty dirty job.

Not starting for a couple of weeks ...unless I get too bored?

Just have a joint in the pipe ;)

Maybe fit one of these where the joint is going and use this as your connection point for the basin and utility etc :)

Use metal brackets for the horizontal run, one just before the break, and another two on the remaining run before it goes vertical to the new loo, ( as plastic ones are a bit shite on horizontals as only one side of the clip really gets strained ). I often find these broken over time with the run all shapes. :/

Where does it run OUTSIDE.

How about a NEW drain from the new WC outside, and join into the nearest inspection chamber?

I still don't see why you insist in doing it from a crawl space rather than lift the floor boards around where the stack goes down?

48 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Where does it run OUTSIDE.

How about a NEW drain from the new WC outside, and join into the nearest inspection chamber?

I still don't see why you insist in doing it from a crawl space rather than lift the floor boards around where the stack goes down?

Yes, considered that but it means trenching through the nicest bit of the garden and disturbing nice raised planters and taking decking apart.

Plus I'm more averse to digging trenches...it's on a hill so not a chance of getting a digger near.

RE the floorboards above...there be a fitted kitchen in the way. So down a hole in the below stairs cupboard and bastard crawl it is???

I did an entire oil boiler job once in around 400mm and less crawl space. Fitted all the central heating rads, pipes down into the 'basement', then under I went to extend, clip, and insulate it all from 10mm to 15mm to 22mm. And a poxy favour job :(  

Just resign yourself and crawl around until you love it. Then start working. 

Enjoy ?

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can't go wrong. Pampers and site boots. That an early shot of you @Declan52 ?

Yep. That was my 2nd year apprenticeship in plumbing. Didn't pass as my butt crack was not visible from the space station.

If the camera had zoomed out a bit you would have seen my little tikes work jeep. I finally succeeded in doing what every plumber I know has always tried and got the work wagon in through the front door.

Screenshot_20170225-103024.png

Okies, got the thin metal cutting discs through, £5.45 total for 10 of them.

Set off today to measure up the plastic that's slotting into my cut out section of the cast iron stack.

First off, the pipe above is solid and attached firmly to the exterior wall with a bracket below every collar (or ...some folk refer to it as a spigot) Also the vertical stack looks like it is fashioned in 3' sections.

Secondly, measured the circumference of the pipe which confirmed it was 3.5" and not 4". Maybe the 3.5" BS stamp on the pipe inspection hatch was a bit of a giveaway?

So set off to find the best fittings.

Decided that push fit stuff from polypipe was the best and stopped at B&Q to have a feel/look at the swept tee that's bridging the cut section of the vertical stack.  Price 10.24.

Drive around...

Catalogue price 33 squid

McNabs 17.14 plus VAT

Plumb world 14.10 plus VAT

Plumb base (or something, they are all next to each other) 11.15 plus VAT.

Plastics Express...online , 7.85 plus VAT.

FFS!

Edited by Tennentslager

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Plastics Express are excellent - I've used them for most of my stuff and it's all next day. 

I have used them before (accidentally) and TBF the 2 missing items were remedied without question so i shouldn't really slate them,

BUT my preferred company is BP plastics http://www.plasticdrainage.co.uk because they are localish and as they were the first people i ordered from so i don't see a reason to be disloyal.

This is where the "accidentally" part comes in

I wanted some additional bits so googled Bp drainage, clicked the top link, ordered the bits i wanted, took delivery of all but 2 items and waited for the second delivery,

It took longer than i thought so i phoned the Bp plastics number i already had on my phone and asked when they were coming, That is when i found out that plastic express are paying to be above Bp plastics in the search ratings, even if you specifically search "BP Plastics" and i was not the first person to phone BP up and query an order from PE. 

Im sure its just the way business works but i thought it was a bit underhanded, So because of this I now hold a small grudge against Plastic express. Nothing on the scale of screw fix but enough for me to mention it and push others towards http://www.plasticdrainage.co.uk the real BP plastics.

HTH

Ed

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

I have used them before (accidentally) and TBF the 2 missing items were remedied without question so i shouldn't really slate them,

BUT my preferred company is BP plastics http://www.plasticdrainage.co.uk because they are localish and as they were the first people i ordered from so i don't see a reason to be disloyal.

This is where the "accidentally" part comes in

I wanted some additional bits so googled Bp drainage, clicked the top link, ordered the bits i wanted, took delivery of all but 2 items and waited for the second delivery,

It took longer than i thought so i phoned the Bp plastics number i already had on my phone and asked when they were coming, That is when i found out that plastic express are paying to be above Bp plastics in the search ratings, even if you specifically search "BP Plastics" and i was not the first person to phone BP up and query an order from PE. 

Im sure its just the way business works but i thought it was a bit underhanded, So because of this I now hold a small grudge against Plastic express. Nothing on the scale of screw fix but enough for me to mention it and push others towards http://www.plasticdrainage.co.uk the real BP plastics.

HTH

Ed

Slightly embarrasingly it's not Plastics Express I've used, it's the one @Construction Channel Has linked to ..!! 

Also used http://drainagepipe.co.uk when they had their Black Friday offer and also got the additional discount. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Change of plan...under the floor was never going to work. So dug first hole and found this...

IMAG0855.thumb.jpg.8dd06d1f7772dda5975bf081f1bb27e2.jpg

New pipe will be coming in from top of the picture. Plan was to put in a branch to the left of the gas pipe and break up the brick north of it. I thought it was a foundation for an old garden wall but...

IMAG0865.thumb.jpg.9ea4b620b0107860187742d0f90faed8.jpg

It's not!

And the inside...

IMAG0864.thumb.jpg.cc5d21dc597b4beeac80e95eef215ff4.jpg

Now for some head scratching.

Could keep digging elsewhere and further wreck the garden or is it feasible to bring the new pvc pipe into the clay pipe and cement it all in place?

LOL! It's like my drain saga. Just glad I've no gas pipes to worry about too!

A little more digging to the right maybe to lose that clay joint to the right of the gas then TWO clay/pvc rubber couplers with your branch coming off?

Be 'kin careful with the grinder! 

That in the trade is called "Jobs F*ked"......

not really, if that is a soil run you are going to need an inspection chamber anyway ( i would have thought,)

cut the clay pipe to the left and right of the gas, install a small chamber to the left of the pipe, infill to the both sides with a short length of plastic connected with an ac4000 (rubber connector)

break out and rebuild the corner of the existing chamber with a chamfer  and let the new pipe come into the 11o/c inlet of the new chamber..... Easy.

that is assuming the original run is flowing left..... if not refer to my opening line :) 

This what I think I know

14927152082281278407163.thumb.jpg.19610f99ab324893023b0bba28f634da.jpg

The big visible clay pipe is for rainwater but runs to the same vertical sewer as the soil pipe which runs through the inspection chamber. I assume they join together before meeting the vertical pipe.

I'm thinking of removing the wall to the north of the chamber then cut a channel from that direction to fit in the new waste pipe and make good.

It will mean the deposits from the new WC will arrive at the old clay pipe exactly where the rodding cut out is situated.

Is this okay?

• 2 weeks later...

To finish this off...

Decided to excavate outside the inspection chamber and cut a hole to take the new pipe. Cold chisel, hammer and a diamond blade on an angle grinder plus lots of patience and success!

There was a great guide on paving expert website which recommend a nice flowing entry angle for the pipe making sure the bottom of the new pipe was level with the old. We used quick drying cement and did some neat sculpting once it had started to go off to make it all nice and smooth.

IMAG0900.thumb.jpg.1448cc11aa2db9ec792f36f1465fd144.jpg

The flow is right to left. Think this is called a kidney...new pipe in the centre of the pic.

It's not obvious from this pic but the kidney is on a swept bend which is also dropping away underground from the new pipe entry.

IMAG0899.thumb.jpg.d2d98c4bfdf8e8c283ce0a9917ce62ce.jpg

Better view of the made good kidney.

IMAG0898.thumb.jpg.cf983604cf23cce1c2140702f6861e68.jpg

And in this one you can see the 4m run up to the new WC. Only one elbow and one swept bend needed.

It's all tested and working so pretty pleased.?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...