Concealed toilet cisterns: Grohe vs Geberit vs Tece

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yep . When I bought the wc and frame it didn’t cross my mind to check the cost of the flush plates . I recon @Onoff could print them and make zillions !

I shopped around and got my two Geberit flush plates (Kappa 20 Chrome Gloss) for around the £25 - 30 off of I think eBay & an end of line place. Both bnib. 

Need another one.

There's a few Geberit spares can be found and 3D printed from Yeggi.

• Like 1

We have Noken/Porcelanosa concealed cisterns which as far as I can see are exactly the same as the Geberit ones.

The push fit for the water connection to the pan is the weak point. One of our WCs was installed with this leaking. We kept saying we could smell something, the builder said it was fine until flies appeared!

It shouldn't move after it has been installed but it definitely can be installed incorrectly and leak.

We also had one installed incorrectly in our last house. The builder mounted it behind the studwork instead of inline with the studs and the same pipe leaked through the ceiling.

All these cisterns look nigh on identical to me and I have wondered if the flush plates are interchangeable. I think Grohe and Geberit are a different size, but maybe between Geberit and Noken. I ended up paying for some of the Noken glass ones as I don't like the plastic chrome ones, but in the end they aren't as bad as I thought and better at £25 versus well over £100.

Edited by AliG

4 minutes ago, AliG said:

The push fit for the water connection to the pan is the weak point.

This is what a friend warned me about. He said the Geberit ones are easier to install incorrectly for some reason and steered me towards Grohe. Not sure if that is everyone's experience though. Odd why they make it push fit, which is surely more likely to be installed incorrectly, compared to regular screw fit.

Having looked at a video just now the Grohe ones seem to use exactly the same kind of push fitting. All three seem to use exactly the same connecting pipes.

I was a bit nervous, but we have 9 of them and they have all been fine for three years now. Just keep an eye on them when first installed.

Edited by AliG

• 5 weeks later...

So my saga of a search for the right toilet frame and flush plate has almost come to a close. I'm most likely going to go for:

• Grohe Rapid SL frames bought here in the UK and
  • order flush plates from Europe (as was suggested by @Temp on this thread)

One that that surprised me though is that the same product appears to have drastically different warranty period depending on where bought from. The 1.13m SL Rapid frame and cistern comes with a 12 month warranty, or a 5 year warranty, or a 10 year warranty. Contrast this builderdepot product listing versus this victorianplumbing one. Can anyone explain this? Is the customer really being asked to choose to spend more to get the 10 year warranty, or is this just a mistake on the builderdepot site?

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see what the small print on the warranty says. In my limited experience ... Geberit Fames will easily last 10 years. I've had flush valves fail after 4 years. The chrome plating on the flush plate buttons can also wear through in 4 years. 

Edited by Temp

8 minutes ago, Temp said:

Would be interesting to see what the small print on the warranty says. In my limited experience ... Geberit Fames will easily last 10 years. I've had flush valves fail after 4 years. The chrome plating on the flush plate buttons can also wear through in 4 years. 

I’m not worried about the frames themselves. It’s all the moving bits inside that can eventually fail and cause leaks.

Now you remind me we did have a problem with the flush pipe on our Geberit cistern. The rubber seal degraded and the whole joint became loose and leaked but I think they have changed the design now..

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Now you remind me we did have a problem with the flush pipe on our Geberit cistern. The rubber seal degraded and the whole joint became loose and leaked but I think they have changed the design now..

This is why I decided to go for Grohe instead. Difficult to know which geberit models suffer from that problem and which ones don’t.

• 1 month later...
On 04/04/2021 at 13:11, Adsibob said:

Well both actually. For most of our toilets I want them wall hung, but we don’t have the thickness in the wall to do this with one toilet, so for that the pan will be floor mounted, but if possible I’d still like to conceal the cistern. How much wall thickness do I need just to conceal the cistern?

We had the same challenge with a wall hung pan against an internal stud walls. We have used steel (Unistrut) inside the wall to support a Geberit frame without increasing the wall thickness. Not finished yet ? I mention this in case it may be helpful.

Thanks

Craig

• 1 year later...
On 17/06/2021 at 17:59, Adsibob said:

So my saga of a search for the right toilet frame and flush plate has almost come to a close. I'm most likely going to go for:

• Grohe Rapid SL frames bought here in the UK and
  • order flush plates from Europe (as was suggested by @Temp on this thread)

I need to buy these now. Did you you buy the grohe ones? Also would be good to know about the flush plates too. 

Thanks 

9 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I need to buy these now. Did you you buy the grohe ones? Also would be good to know about the flush plates too. 

Thanks 

Yes, I went with Grohe for all but one bathroom, which has Vitra. That was because i wanted a matt black flush plate for that bathroom and Vitra did them for a mere £30. Seems to work ok, though it's probably only used at most once a day as not a main use toilet. Flush plate has nice matt finish to it which does not show finger print marks.

I would avoid anything that is shiny, as it shows fingerprint marks. Of the grohe plates, some are shiny and really do show finger print marks, whereas some are not like their supersteel range. Even their cool sunrise, which is described as "brushed" is actually shiny.

The Geberit frames and the cisterns that come with them are fine but we had issues with their regular concealed cistern. As per the OP post there was an issue with the flush pipe where it exited the Cistern. It leaked and could have caused a big flood because when the level dropped it opened the fill valve. This is how loose the fitting was when I took it out...

https://youtu.be/t8Qvs-VkPBk

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

The Geberit frames and the cisterns that come with them are fine but we had issues with their regular concealed cistern. As per the OP post there was an issue with the flush pipe where it exited the Cistern. It leaked and could have caused a big flood because when the level dropped it opened the fill valve. This is how loose the fitting was when I took it out...

https://youtu.be/t8Qvs-VkPBk

Whats happened to youtube, I had to watch a 20 second ad to watch a 13 second video! Crazy!!

Edited by trialuser
  • Like 1