ASHP Sizing

LA3222

38 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

@JamesP how do you find a 300l UVC? If you could go back and increase the capacity would you, or is 300l working out ok with four adults using DHW?

We have never run out of hot water, probably happen now.... due to the capacity of the cylinder. The DHW is always on, not timed unlike the heating. We had a few families visit last summer and no one mentioned a lack of hot water. Presently we have another adult lodging with us.

On sunny days the tank is usually back up to temp via the PV diverter by 10am during the summer. I guess the next size up is 400L. 

7 hours ago, LA3222 said:

I suspect there is going to be a surge of people complaining about ASHP in the very near future. The Government creating artificial drives to encourage uptake of renewables tends to lead to homeowners switching over with little understanding of what they are and to what homes/circumstances they are suited to. Unscrupulous installers don't care about the aftermath!

Most people on here are focused on airtightness and insulation levels. In these circumstances I fail to see how they are nothing but a good option for providing both DHW and heating. I expect they are no different in terms of peaks and troughs in power usage than any other source when considered across the full 12 month weather cycle.

With Solar PV you can then get around 3:1 output from any energy generated by panels and use the ASHP throughout the day rather than trying to confine yourself to off peak energy usage?

Yes the initial infrastructure can require some capital outlay which some may balk at. Myself, I tend to take the line of it costs what it costs, I see the work I do know as putting in the infrastructure and then over the lifetime of me living there it will work out very cost effective, even taking ASHP lifetimes/ PV panel lifetimes into consideration. If any of them require changing it will not cost so much as the 'infrastructure' is there, its just parts change.

I am in an all electric situation, with 280m2 to heat and DHW for 2 kids who like long showers to consider. An ASHP and PV makes sense to me.

My reasoning for PV is that is is likely to pay me more back than the money being sat in the bank, particularly if paired with an ASHP

On 15/02/2021 at 14:56, Temp said:

Do ASHP come with the sensors needed to monitor the actual COP achieved? 

They do, or at least my Samsung one does, BUT, and it's a very big but, the figures it  gives are pure fantasy. Actually a work of fiction and completely useless as it claims a COP of 20 at times. ?. I've asked the question to Samsung but still waiting for an answer. 

37 minutes ago, Ultima357 said:

They do, or at least my Samsung one does, BUT, and it's a very big but, the figures it  gives are pure fantasy. Actually a work of fiction and completely useless as it claims a COP of 20 at times. ?. I've asked the question to Samsung but still waiting for an answer. 

I wonder if it’s a bit like a car calculating it’s own MPG? ... ranging from 999 to 5 depending on circumstances, but the average is 50mpg. 

34 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Wahey.  Defo sounds like a f$ck  this.. let's get it ordered! 

Yarp, got sick of looking. There does not seem to be many retailers selling them, most are your RHI companies and they can poke that where the sun don't shine!

I could only really find Wolesley, SWAT and some eco store. Midsummer have started selling them now - I say 'selling', I mean ripping people off?

Went with Wolesely, I'm just waiting for the obligatory 'we are out of stock' email on Monday morning. If they are, it's no drama as I won't be fitting it for a couple of months.

But yeah, the market isn't very competitive for these?‍♂️

• Like 1

On 15/02/2021 at 14:56, Temp said:

Do ASHP come with the sensors needed to monitor the actual COP achieved? 

20210107_115212.jpg

20210107_115156.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

I could only really find Wolesley

The one you bought from Wolesley is the only one they sell, at last at Midsummer they had two to choose from!

How many ASHPs do the Government want installing this year, 14,000 wasn’t it?!

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

I could only really find Wolesley, SWAT and some eco store. Midsummer have started selling them now - I say 'selling', I mean ripping people off?

Does seem a bit hard to find to find them.. is that an ecodan thing or an ASHP thing. Does this mean you don't need to do all the other piping/circuitry as per the other thread? 

14 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Does seem a bit hard to find to find them.. is that an ecodan thing or an ASHP thing. Does this mean you don't need to do all the other piping/circuitry as per the other thread? 

Nah, part of the reason I decided on getting the pre plumbed cylinder is that alot of the stuff is already on it and connected up to the FTC too. A lot less for me to think about.

If I'd bought all the parts separately I don't doubt that I could do it, I just felt the cost saving that way wasn't worth all the extra hours I'd have to put in with reading pams etc to get it right.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Triassic said:

The one you bought from Wolesley is the only one they sell, at last at Midsummer they had two to choose from!

How many ASHPs do the Government want installing this year, 14,000 wasn’t it?!

The one at Wolesley is the only one I need?‍♂️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ultima357 said:

It should be straight forward to measure. Input power is easy, output power needs the flow and return temperatures uplift and the flow rate.

I wonder if very high COP occurs during over run at the end of a call for heat cycle

Edited by Temp

3 minutes ago, Temp said:

wonder if very high COP occurs during over run at the end of a call for heat cycle

Or a decimal place is in the wrong place.

I would expect the highest usage day would have the lowest CoP, during the recent cold snap.

Edited by SteamyTea

As expected, an email from Wolesley to say they don't have it and can't get it. Why sell me one online then? Had another look at Midsummer Wholesale, thought their pricing was steep when i had a quick look previously but what i hadn't done was log into my 'trade' account! Logged in today and found the price is better than anywhere else I could find so i have now ordered an 8.5kW Ecodan ASHP & 300l pre plumbed cylinder at about £4900 before tax which I didn't think is too shabby.

Wait time - 84 days!

If anyone wants to use Ecodan ASHP I suggest you get your orders in sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2021 at 18:21, LA3222 said:

As expected, an email from Wolesley to say they don't have it and can't get it. Why sell me one online then? Had another look at Midsummer Wholesale, thought their pricing was steep when i had a quick look previously but what i hadn't done was log into my 'trade' account! Logged in today and found the price is better than anywhere else I could find so i have now ordered an 8.5kW Ecodan ASHP & 300l pre plumbed cylinder at about £4900 before tax which I didn't think is too shabby.

Wait time - 84 days!

If anyone wants to use Ecodan ASHP I suggest you get your orders in sooner rather than later.

I am looking for 11.2kW HP + 300L cylinder. @LA3222, as you said Midsummer list prices are steep, how did you get a trade account?

8 minutes ago, Bonner said:

I am looking for 11.2kW HP + 300L cylinder. @LA3222, as you said Midsummer list prices are steep, how did you get a trade account?

Just clicked apply for one on their online portal at Midsummer Wholesale and it worked ok?‍♂️

• Thanks 1

On 23/02/2021 at 18:21, LA3222 said:

Wait time - 84 days!

Ive phones my local Worslesy branch to ask about the purchase of an ASHP, the person I talked to stated that they had closed their renewables business and didn’t know if they still supplied ASHPs. He safe I an get back , he never did, Very poor Custer service.

Edited by Triassic

37 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Just clicked apply for one on their online portal at Midsummer Wholesale and it worked ok?‍♂️

Just applied. Let’s see hat happens next!

Has anyone got other suggestions for keenly priced suppliers, City Plumbing Supplies prices look good, so I’ve emailed them asking for  a quote for a.  7Kw ASHP and new pre-plumbed 300l. Cylinder

Edited by Triassic