Different ways to lay bricks over a 45 degree angle - pros and cons

Extension works are underway and my builders will start the brick laying in about 2-3 weeks. I need to order the bricks and have only just found out that the bricks we were going to go with might not be available in the special "dogleg" shape that helps with laying bricks over a 45 degree angle. I have two 45 degree angles on my project so it's quite important we get this right. Are there any structural/damp/longevity issues to consider or is this purely an aesthetic choice? I've uploaded some photos of the different options, as I understand them to be.

PHOTO-2021-01-23-19-32-01.jpg

PHOTO-2021-01-23-19-32-01 2.jpg

PHOTO-2021-01-23-19-57-48.jpg

Depending on how many you need you can get them cut and glued from any stock brick. Had to do this on non standard bay windows before, search for brick bonding in your area. Think we paid about £2.20 each but supplied the bricks. Be aware to get the proper bond you need two bricks per corner. 

You can do it yourself but you need a brick table to cut them not a stihl saw, and then bond them

with this stuff. 

https://www.epoxy-info.co.uk/resins_shop.htm#ThixoRapid

Cut to the correct angle then let them dry and glue. Leave them for 48 hours if possible to set. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nod said:

We had the second picture at a previous house 

They had been payed for over 30 years Can’t remember there being any issues 

The top one looks better but more cost 

Thanks @nod but with the top style, isn't there less brick between the inside and the outside at that corner. Won't it diminish the U value of the wall? Also, why do you say the top one is more cost?

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Depending on how many you need you can get them cut and glued from any stock brick. Had to do this on non standard bay windows before, search for brick bonding in your area. Think we paid about £2.20 each but supplied the bricks. Be aware to get the proper bond you need two bricks per corner. 

You can do it yourself but you need a brick table to cut them not a stihl saw, and then bond them

with this stuff. 

https://www.epoxy-info.co.uk/resins_shop.htm#ThixoRapid

Cut to the correct angle then let them dry and glue. Leave them for 48 hours if possible to set. 

Do you have  a pic of the finished look by any chance?

17 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks @nod but with the top style, isn't there less brick between the inside and the outside at that corner. Won't it diminish the U value of the wall? Also, why do you say the top one is more cost?

I wouldn’t have thought so  

30 minutes ago, nod said:

30 minutes ago, nod said:

Sorry I meant the bottom pic 

special order brick

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

On a bay window (so only a small job) the builder just cut the end off every brick at the correct angle.

You beat me to it, ? Cut the back off so the face is good.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You beat me to it, ? Cut the back off so the face is good.

Not entirely sure if that's achievable. The facing brick is cuboidal so it only has right angles. Unless I'm really clueless with 3D visualisation (which may well be the case!) there is no way of creating a 45 degree angle by cutting it without exposing the inside of the brick.

Also, I'm a bit concerned these bricks won't cut too cleanly. Just unwrapping the bubble wrapped dozen the manufacturer sent me so that I could play try different mortar colours with them, some of the edges have already crumbled off. Is that normal? It's a sand faced brick, not sure if that changes anything.

@Adsibob you cut the brick to a point so the cut face buts up to the next brick. Easy done but the downside is there is no overlap between courses and you get a mortar join up the corner that can look untidy. That’s why squints or bonded bricks are best.

You’ll only do this once so saving £3-400 on this will be something you’ll look at for a lifetime.