Soffit Overhang

Onoff

What's the ideal overhang distance for a soffit like this? Shallow, tiled roof above. Thinking to redo in uPVC. If it's say 300mm I'll trim all the roof joist ends down. They're a bit in and out anyway.

IMG_20201227_130430928_HDR.thumb.jpg.14c3ce9e7047aa836558a40ced0b69ab.jpg

IMG_20201227_130441587_HDR.thumb.jpg.3de9c3e22d8347dd83810f54a4d210c6.jpg

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Not if you instal a bigger facia board ?

Have you been on the sherry @joe90

if you reduce the soffit size then surely the length of the roof from ridge to facia will decrease, so the facia gets taller, but the roof gets shorter. 

But knowing @Onoff maybe he’s thinking of installing a flux capacitor in the void or something. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Am I missing something 

if you reduce the soffit size, will you not have to change the roof above ??

Tbh the tile projection over the gutter varies a bit and could do with equalling up along its length. I'll fire the laser along to get a line and see what the minimum is. Might aim for a 300mm wide soffit as that's off the shelf. 

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

so the facia gets taller

=

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

bigger facia board

yes tiles will need moving 

33 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

change the roof above

tiles yes but roof structure no. (I don’t like Sherry ?).

• Like 1

Are you redoing the roof? What look/style do you want to achieve? I don't think there is a ideal soffit size, but more down to personal taste. For me I like big soffits and flat on the horizontal run but I also hate boot ends (never heard them called that before). My architect originally drew no soffits and skews which protrude above the slate at the gables, these got changed to make build simpler. 

10 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Are you redoing the roof?

No. All the soffits and fascias need redoing. Rotting in parts tbh. Been putting it off as I want to change the roof but that isn't going to happen anytime soon so I'd best get on it in good old basic, (cheap), white uPVC. Working backwards tbh, all the felt edges are shot and need eaves protectors adding at least.

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Working backwards tbh, all the felt edges are shot and need eaves protectors adding at least.

I have done a Lot of those in the past, rip off facia, soffit etc and a few rows of tiles and battens, straighten the joist ends a little, tuck in eave protectors, new facia and soffit, replace battens, tiles and guttering, simples ?.