Electric towel rails

Happy Christmas peeps. 

Im looking for towel rails at the moment and most of what I like are water based and run off the heating system, I’m looking for electric ones, now I have seen various heating elements that are used in electric rails. 

Question is, are these elements compatible with most towel rails and what is the liquid that is inside the rails. 

Anybody done this or know the score. 

Ta very much. 

12 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I don’t know, I thought it was a type of oil. 

When I swapped out a blown element, it was definitely an oily substance. 

I thought you were on about converting an existing "water" one. 

I know you can get oil filled, ready to go  ones and indeed buy thermal oil. 

Edited by Onoff

I have used towel radiators with electric elements connected to central heating and stand alone. Stand alone rads were filled with water, with or without inhibitor (sealed system so corrosion won’t be an issue). Leave an air space for expansion as mentioned by @Onoff 

Depends...! Some are oil filled but they just use cheap silicone oil. You can use that but my weapon of choice is car antifreeze - the pink one - as it’s ridiculously cheap in Home Bargains and works as an inhibitor too. Just stick the elements in, use the breather plug in the top and then buy a pack of rad plugs for the other holes. 

• Like 1

My towel radiators came with water/inhibitor already in them, turn upside down, remove blank and insert element if your choice. Beware, without thermostats mine got dangerously hot (scalding even), I swapped them for lower power ones after a while.

• Like 1

I'm running the terma MOA elements (cheapest when bought from screwfix) these have built in thermostat and can be adjusted from inside the room as the controls are on the element. Also has a 2hr button if you just want to turn them on occasionally.

I have mine wired via a timer and even though they are an electronic unit they remember the previous heat setting so next time they come on its the same as last time.

Pretty good for the extra £25 or so.

Mine are 'duel fuel' with a Tee piece on the CH, but don't need to be.

Edited by JFDIY
  • Like 3