Showerwall - Arghhhhh

We are having problems with one out of the three showers in one particular colour of shower panel.

Last week the builders attempted to fit the last shower. Where there is join there was a noticeable gap (I could get my fingernail in it) due to one of the panels having a slight bend in it. Supplier replaced it free. Today they have fitted the replacement and in the middle fine, you can hardly see the join but then at the top and bottom it seems to be more noticeable. Builders have literally got it butted in as close as it can go but for some reason at the top and bottom there is a noticeable join.

Am I being ott here.....? How can I disguise the join....IMG-20201205-WA0020.thumb.jpg.da3d0987705483bc364af92bac83e307.jpgIMG-20201205-WA0018.thumb.jpg.4a827d8b1b7174aa86b27c807d7bd002.jpgIMG-20201205-WA0018.thumb.jpg.4a827d8b1b7174aa86b27c807d7bd002.jpgIMG-20201205-WA0016.thumb.jpg.cd33397dc6d5687b8237314f8e1c53ad.jpgIMG-20201205-WA0014.thumb.jpg.3ac4937352d9d350e1220207442971a2.jpg

IMG-20201205-WA0015.jpg

4 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Am I being ott here.

NO, Not good enough, is the first panel bowed?, can the builder/you put a straight edge along the edges joined to see which is not straight. These joins should be virtually invisible IMO. May be time to get the manufacturers/suppliers rep out to see it. That would annoy me ,!!!

What size are the panels?

On my Multipanel I chose the ones without the t&g join so you use a joining strip which is a bit more forgiving, but they are 1200mm wide panels so unless you have a massive shower you won't have a join in the shower area.

A lot of the t&g type I have seen seem to come in narrower panels so you have more joins and even if the join is perfect you still see a discontinuity of pattern.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What size are the panels?

On my Multipanel I chose the ones without the t&g join so you use a joining strip which is a bit more forgiving, but they are 1200mm wide panels so unless you have a massive shower you won't have a join in the shower area.

A lot of the t&g type I have seen seem to come in narrower panels so you have more joins and even if the join is perfect you still see a discontinuity of pattern.

T&g 1200 - the Washed Charcoal one perfect can hardly see join at all. This one is causing issues.

Walls fine. I had them from AB who sent a replacement panel out but whilst there has been some improvement and the join is now not noticeable in the middle it is now at the top and bottom.

They have put too much sealant in the join if that is the Hydrolock Multipanel. It literally needs a 2mm bead on the outside of the groove and the rest of the join should be dry. Did they properly remove any sealant from the one they tried previously ..?

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They have put too much sealant in the join if that is the Hydrolock Multipanel. It literally needs a 2mm bead on the outside of the groove and the rest of the join should be dry. Did they properly remove any sealant from the one they tried previously ..?

It's showerwall (not the multipanel but same sort). I can say they didn't put too much sealant in, I was there when they were doing it today and cussing it.....

I have the same concrete finish but not in a shower.  They were loc fit and I had to give them a good wiggle and a bit of in and out to get them snug.  I did not use adhesive, so that may have made a difference.  Even then, some just seemed to mate better than others.  The darker colour is probably more forgiving.

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have the same concrete finish but not in a shower.  They were loc fit and I had to give them a good wiggle and a bit of in and out to get them snug.  I did not use adhesive, so that may have made a difference.  Even then, some just seemed to mate better than others.  The darker colour is probably more forgiving.

It's just the join being more visible but I can't get my head around why it's not the same the whole way of the join. Middle bit is perfect hardly noticeable but it's not like that consistently. I'll have to get in touch with AB on Monday. I thought the replacement panel would have sorted it. My OCD is in overdrive.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

again NO, your not being OCD, it’s not right, end of ?

They are expensive panels, so they should fit properly.  Maybe the one to the left is iffy?  Perhaps dry fit the next ones for your approval before fitting.

Mine are on a wall with a load of other stuff, so not so focal.

P2070057.thumb.JPG.a155ca4aec9228ba4f0d992ff9cd4b7e.JPG

Tangential, but this is fascinating to observe, as we nearly went multipanel everywhere having read about it here, but our main contractor had never used it and wasn't clear on the benefits so we just stuck with tiles as that's what they know. I think sometimes things that make sense for self builders (especially that are time rich but might lack specific trade skills like tiling/grouting) are not necessarily best for a contracted build where the trades just want to crack on using techniques they already know and not learn something new. 

I sometimes wish all us "custom specifiers" had a very different avatar style so people easily tell if they're getting "self build" or "self specify" advice/opinions ?

(Obviously it often makes little difference, but occasionally the material vs labour trade off leads down a very different decision tree)

3 hours ago, mvincentd said:

Interested in the outcome here, sorry can't offer any useful advice.  Please do update results.

Well it's up and I just hate it, my eye immediately goes to the join and more annoying is the plumber is meant to be fitting the shower next week. I've taken pics and sent to AB who we purchased panels from, and who replaced the initial one for their advice. 

3 hours ago, joth said:

Tangential, but this is fascinating to observe, as we nearly went multipanel everywhere having read about it here, but our main contractor had never used it and wasn't clear on the benefits so we just stuck with tiles as that's what they know. I think sometimes things that make sense for self builders (especially that are time rich but might lack specific trade skills like tiling/grouting) are not necessarily best for a contracted build where the trades just want to crack on using techniques they already know and not learn something new. 

I sometimes wish all us "custom specifiers" had a very different avatar style so people easily tell if they're getting "self build" or "self specify" advice/opinions ?

(Obviously it often makes little difference, but occasionally the material vs labour trade off leads down a very different decision tree)

The builder has fitted them before because we had a discussion about them, in relation to someone having them on all the walls of the bathroom, not just the shower. It's incredibly frustrating that this one is not right because I love the other ones.

Multipanel for me.

hardest thing is making sure it’s delivered in one piece without scratches etc

great to work with

I used their adhesive and made sure it was warmed up in a bucket of hot water to ensure it squirts out easy.

Agree there is a balance in too much adhesive and the gap not being tight.

we used these 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/extending-support-rod-2-95m/14003?tc=MC3&ds_kid=92700055262507126&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI37Gevuu37QIV02DmCh3vMghgEAQYASABEgJXiPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

to ensure panels were pushed into wall and held in place while adhesive set, with 2 mm plastic backers to then add the trims when the adhesive was set