Rules on LPG cylinder positioning?

ProDave

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

why bother, just use 19kg (like I do) then swop them after BC chap is long gone (I still say he is wrong).

I don't have any 19kg cylinders.  If I have to do that I will but I would probably have to pay a hire charge on yet 2 more cylinders as last time I tried to swap cylinder sizes Calor would not play ball. So I will stick to 47kg unless it become an insurmountable issue.

57 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I would just argue that the regs say “opening window “ yours is not (and the calor website confirms this).

I am convinced (from my previous dealings many years ago) that you could have a non opening non vented window right behind the cylinder and it would be allowed, but I cannot find anything that actually shows that.  My BC is a "show me where it says you can" kind of person where I am arguing the "show me where it says you can't"

So unless I can find anything showing a non opening window right behind the cylinders I am stuck.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

So unless I can find anything showing a non opening window right behind the cylinders I am stuck.

I think I am more stubborn than you ? I would quote the Calor site to him about sealed openings which is what you have, if you contact Calor they may even confirm it in an Email fir you???

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I think I am more stubborn than you ? I would quote the Calor site to him about sealed openings which is what you have, if you contact Calor they may even confirm it in an Email fir you???

Did I miss a bit?  I only see reference to "opening windows" in the calor document, is there a reference to "non opening" or "sealed" windows that I missed?

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I was going to say exactly the same, get a smaller cylinder. 

Yes but I can feel the blood pressure rising as I bang my head against a brick wall talking to a stubborn BCO.  It just adds to the "after completion" list.......

58 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

On a related point, do the LPG bottle regs allow a bottle and ASHP to be collocated at an outside wall?

I hope so, mine is ?. Don’t see why not, no mention of electrical devices on the regs above (and my BCO didn’t raise an eyebrow).

• Like 1

This page https://www.calor.co.uk/home-energy/new-to-lpg/my-options/lpg-installation-options?tabname=lpg-cylinders

Makes reference to the distance sideways to windows, air bricks etc being measured from a "gas bottle valve" not the edge of a cylinder.

Now if only I could find a reference to the vertical distance to a window being measured from the valve rather than the drawings implying the top of the cylinder handle?

Diagram 44 Page 67 of part j shows that the opening part must be 300mm vertically or 1m horizontally AND shows that a non opening part of the window can be nearer.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave. 
We’ve put flues through baffled sections of non opening windows before, blanking them with non-combustible material and intumescent mastic type seal to complete the picture. 
The reason they don’t show a non-opening window is because they don’t care about a non-opening window. Carry on with the 47’s and tell your BCO to suck it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Temp said:

Diagram 44 Page 67 of part j shows that the opening part must be 300mm vertically or 1m horizontally AND shows that a non opening part of the window can be nearer.

Perfect

20473417_Screenshot_2020-12-04ADJ_LOCKEDpdf.png.739c55c175b1d00e64c6e867cbb498e8.png

Not only does it show a non opening window, it also males it clear the distances are measured from the gas valve on the cylinder, not the top of the handle.  So I suspect I would be okay even if my windows opened.

So I will proceed on that basis that I now have a pretty picture to show BC when they object and grounds to argue it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Starting this back up. 

I have a couple of issues raised this morning when the gas man turned up to look at sticking in my lpg pipework. 

The first one is the distance vertically to a combustible material, my house is a bungalow and he was concerned about the height from the top of cylinders to the soffit and facia board, my soffit is timber, I cannot find any drawings that say anything about the actual fabric of the building is more about openings. 

Please see pic. 

Any thoughts @ProDaveA0978614-D25B-4C57-9129-6DCDA204961E.thumb.jpeg.f25990c0113caab8d063d9bd927ab123.jpeg