Office pod on trailer

MBT6

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2020 at 22:34, ProDave said:

Unless you want to move it, what is the point?   A waste of a nice trailer that is never going to move.

We were looking at putting an office pod in our garden, does anyone know the best value ones to get?

• Like 1

On 27/11/2020 at 22:34, ProDave said:

Unless you want to move it, what is the point?   A waste of a nice trailer that is never going to move.

I'm in a conservation area and can't even have a chimney without planning permission, and I cant even apply until we have a completed dwelling. It's giving me all kinds of logistical money wasting headaches, so mobile things like this are really interesting, as they seem to circumvent the planning position, to a degree. 

37 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There is a place called WorkBox in town, nice view over the harbour.

Think it is £110/month, and free coffee.

I was going to join, but I did not have an Apple product in my portfolio, or a disruptive technology that any fool could do.

Or a beard.

https://theworkbox.com/

Cheap than some garden sheds though.

That looks good, but I'm in a remote part of the Scottish Highlands and there is nothing like that near me.

48 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There is a place called WorkBox in town, nice view over the harbour.

Think it is £110/month, and free coffee.

I was going to join, but I did not have an Apple product in my portfolio, or a disruptive technology that any fool could do.

Or a beard.

https://theworkbox.com/

Cheap than some garden sheds though.

Feels like I'm spending more than that on coffee at home. 

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What made me think about it, and taking the piss out of other members.

It's about £25 a month on pods for the pair of us here. 

Back on topic, from having looked at garden rooms/offices, there is already a hefty mark-up with a purpose built solution and extra 'solution-ising' by putting it on wheels won't be cheap plus its hard to find a supplier meaning a further price premium.

I've gone down the route of getting a log cabin which is a compromise in itself but £4k for the > 4m x 3m structure  + approx £3k budget to do everything else with some DIY is not an unreasonable outlay. 

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

I'm in a conservation area and can't even have a chimney without planning permission, and I cant even apply until we have a completed dwelling. It's giving me all kinds of logistical money wasting headaches, so mobile things like this are really interesting, as they seem to circumvent the planning position, to a degree. 

In a CA you dont need PP for an outbuilding if its in the back garden. You do if at the side of the house.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Temp said:

In a CA you dont need PP for an outbuilding if its in the back garden. You do if at the side of the house.

Slightly different for me, a condition of planning is that all my PD rights were removed A,B, C, D, E, F and G ...

49 minutes ago, joe90 said:

or buy an old caravan and clad it ?.

How difficult would it be to build on an old caravan chassis?

I’m assuming that it wouldn’t be strong enough for a conventional shed build. Can you do something lightweight but more building like, squarer, with thicker walls than a van?

2 minutes ago, daiking said:

How difficult would it be to build on an old caravan chassis?

I’m assuming that it wouldn’t be strong enough for a conventional shed build. Can you do something lightweight but more building like, squarer, with thicker walls than a van?

That depends if you want it to move, or just want it to look like it could be moved.

A caravan has to be within the design weight of the chassis and suspension and have brakes etc to legally be towed on the road.  But a garden office on a caravan chassis just has to not collapse. It would not matter if the weight bottomed out the suspension and the tyres were over their weight limit. I just has to look like it could be dragged onto a low loader to be transported.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the best value way of putting up a small garden office? It would would need to be a minimum of around 6m2 floor area.

I saw this office pod on ebay for £2,300, it looks good value but might lack insulation:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Pod-Glamping-Pod-Garden-Room-Man-Cave-Yurt/254732172229

There is also this type you can put together yourself but it seems expensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-Value-Garden-Room-High-Insulated-SIP-Panel-Maintenance-Free-Garden-Office/164267730324

There is also this kind of garden shed:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-8-Garden-office-gym-Hot-tub-summerhouse-fully-pressure-treated-FREE-FITTING/142112095670