Office pod on trailer

MBT6

53 minutes ago, MBT6 said:

Does anyone know the best value way of putting up a small garden office? It would would need to be a minimum of around 6m2 floor area.

How long will you be using the office? If just for 6 summer months then a garden shed enhanced with insulation will do, 250 days a year for the next 5 years requires a different solution.

Could you get by with something a bit smaller? I ask because many executive homes from the mainstream UK builders have a token office measuring 7' x 7' which indicates 4.5 m2 is enough for a minimum viable office. 

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

How long will you be using the office? If just for 6 summer months then a garden shed enhanced with insulation will do, 250 days a year for the next 5 years requires a different solution.

Could you get by with something a bit smaller? I ask because many executive homes from the mainstream UK builders have a token office measuring 7' x 7' which indicates 4.5 m2 is enough for a minimum viable office. 

It''ll be used all year round, it's for a family member who is an architect, would need to be something well insulated I guess.

Could probably just about get away with a 4.5m2 one actually, but not ideal.

I would build it myself if straight forward, just need something insulated, water tight and won't be dangerous from an electric point of view. It will be hidden away at the end our garden behind trees so doesn't have to be that aesthetically pleasing to look at.

On 22/01/2021 at 21:25, SteamyTea said:

Get them to design it, they may learn something.

They don't really have the time, they are far too busy doing work for other people to earn income.

On 22/01/2021 at 20:53, PeterW said:

That looks very promising, my only concern would the insulation for the colder winter months, there would be computers going in the office to would need to have minimal dampness. 

I saw the shed linked below on hotukdeals, in some of the photos some people have turned it into a kind of TV room, that perhaps could do as an office too. Again my main concern would be insulation for cold weather usage.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/keter-oakland-11ft-x-7ft-6-34-x-23m-side-door-shed-ps89999-at-costco-3652573

Edited by MBT6

would it really be that expensive to build a small office like from SIPS panels ,floor ,walls +roof 

all insulation done just window and a door to work into it 

if one slope flat roof dead easy to sue sips  

an example 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIPs-Panel-3-0m-x-1-2m-Structural-Insulated-Panel-Garden-offices-Studios-Garage/184528578995?hash=item2af6c2a9b3:g:nugAAOSwH2Ja3xX3

you can get MGO board types that have mgo on outside and osb on inside --you could just quick render outside 

or simple corrugated tin sheathing for either type 

not hard if you going to build a house --a week end job-if not too big

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

would it really be that expensive to build a small office like from SIPS panels ,floor ,walls +roof 

an example 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIPs-Panel-3-0m-x-1-2m-Structural-Insulated-Panel-Garden-offices-Studios-Garage/184528578995?hash=item2af6c2a9b3:g:nugAAOSwH2Ja3xX3

you can get MGO board types that have mgo on outside and osb on inside --you could just quick render outside 

Thanks for the idea, building a small garden office out of SIPs panels could work out quite cheap and would provide great insulation.

I will have to search around the internet for examples of people who have done it already, I'm certain many people will have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

an example 

Someone posted a thread on here about making a garden office from SIPs panels, sounded like they wished they went for one of those tuin log cabins instead.

I'm thinking of getting one of these pod frame kits and building it, seems like a good value option for something that can be used all year round.

Linked below is a time lapse of someone building one, they had a forklift to help for some parts but I won't have one, think I could get away without using one:

These are the kits:

https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/standard-glamping-pod-frame-kit-3600-2550.html

22 hours ago, MBT6 said:

I'm thinking of getting one of these pod frame kits and building it, seems like a good value option for something that can be used all year round.

Linked below is a time lapse of someone building one, they had a forklift to help for some parts but I won't have one, think I could get away without using one:

These are the kits:

https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/standard-glamping-pod-frame-kit-3600-2550.html

looks small and expensive to me --as you are not even half done at that price--i would price all your other parts required  before you make final decision  can only used all year round if you fill it all with insulation  and how much the windows going to coat and door etc etc

Edited by scottishjohn

On 22/01/2021 at 20:41, MBT6 said:

It''ll be used all year round, it's for a family member who is an architect

If clients will be visiting its effectively going to be a show case for his work.

Edited by Temp

On 30/01/2021 at 16:08, scottishjohn said:

looks small and expensive to me --as you are not even half done at that price--i would price all your other parts required  before you make final decision  can only used all year round if you fill it all with insulation  and how much the windows going to coat and door etc etc

What would you recommend that is cheaper that can be used all year round?

All the cheaper options I've looked at can't be used in winter because the walls and roof etc are too thin, they are summer houses.

The cheapest pre-built pods I can find come from the company linked below which are £8250 + VAT 5% plus a couple of grand for delivery. Buying that CNC Design frame and fitting it out myself would probably be at least half that cost.

https://podcampingscotland.co.uk/our-pods/

Edited by MBT6

11 hours ago, MBT6 said:

What would you recommend that is cheaper that can be used all year round?

All the cheaper options I've looked at can't be used in winter because the walls and roof etc are too thin, they are summer houses.

The cheapest pre-built pods I can find come from the company linked below which are £8250 + VAT 5% plus a couple of grand for delivery. Buying that CNC Design frame and fitting it out myself would probably be at least half that cost.

https://podcampingscotland.co.uk/our-pods/

you started by talking about building one -- now you are looking at a prefab --so you are paying for someone to make it  and its more like a cave than an office 

they are really somewhere you go to sleep and don,t spend time inside 

no toilet  no sink or water --just a wooden cave  with minature window at one end 

If 5m x 3m is big enough --then 

at a rough guess to make same in sips panels  It would half of that or less -find a nice s/h double glazed door and maybe a s/h small bifold or patio window set  and your done 

wrap sips then add finish of choice - corrugated colour tin or felt  roof and wood cladding for sides 

It will not be  10k  lt will  about half or less and some simple graft 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Found this youtube channel where the guy makes really interesting videos building garden rooms, there is something very engaging about his presenting style: