Macerator

canalsiderenovation

The sewage treatment plant was due in this week but there are some issues. Although we were having a pump as gravity alone will be insufficient,  there is apparently issues with running sand too. It has been suggested we have a macerator put in which is worrying me a bit. I'm not familiar with this and it's one which will be outside (my in-laws has one and a saniflo sort of system and had nothing but trouble). The water/drainage won't go into there. I haven't got the full info from the builder but it isn't one inside but one that's outside which is making me think it isn't a macerator?? Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about???

There really doesn't seem to be any other option but may explain whilst our very old septic tank which is in the garden the other side of the house was 'one of a kind' according to the septic tank survey we had and was unusually large and very shallow (and knackered).

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

None of that makes any sense ..?? Running sand ..??

And does he mean a macerator pump..? They are fairly common in pumping stations but why do you need a pumping station as you’re next to a (flat) canal. 

I'm getting this third hand from the wife so that's probably why! 

Unfortunately it actually isn't flat, best illustrated by this picture before we 'joined up' our disjointed bungalow. The bit on the right is actually stepped up (there are steps inside leading to the bedrooms) and the sewage treatment plant is kind of behind those connifers behind which then is the old dissuaded railway embankment.

Macerator pump - that probably makes more sense but it isn't something that's inside but outside. I've only seen the sewage treatment plant on a photo my other half took - Marsh Ensign I think it was.

IMG_20180518_135703.thumb.jpg.775fc2ccc8fa3eb6de225665fdd00db4.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

No real depth issue with tanks though - just add a riser to the top access. If they are low you just have an effluent pump to take the water out to the leach field. 

Ask the builder what the issue is and get him to clearly define it 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

real depth issue with tanks though - just add a riser to the top access. If they are low you just have an effluent pump to take the water out to the leach field. 

Ask the builder what the issue is and get him to clearly define it 

Going to have to because I haven't got a clue. The wife said he said macerator pump outside in its own chamber.

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

From the technical data :

Optional risers to increase invert depth are available.

So get the bigger digger out ..!!

I think this is part of the problem, they can't start digging into the old railway embankment which rises up above our property. I'll report back tomorrow. I do trust the guy that is doing it all. He's done sewage treatment plants for 20+ years and came recommended, not just by the builder (unlike the saga we had with the GRP roof). I just don't understand it but this was the builder relaying it to my wife relaying it to me....

Ok, spoke to sewage treatment plant guy. I'm hoping this will make sense now. So here goes....

They always knew that they would need a pump on the sewage treatment plant, which

I've mentioned the tank above (the one that was on our drive). This is now in the hole and not on our drive (success)!

The reason that it needs another pump is because the sewage treatment plant is higher than it needs to be because they hit the running sand and it isn't deep enough, and although they could look at moving it, it would be further away, and would be significant cost as there are trees/excavation work and potentially with the same issue with the ground (which is likely). They are going to fit a macerator pump in a chamber outside. It doesn't have to be a macerator it can be any pump but it needs to be a (something about a 2 inch?? - may have got this wrong).There will be two manhole which feed into the septic tank. 

Yes you will have a second tank nearer the house that has one or two pumps in it that basically takes all the effluent from the house, minces it and pumps it up to the sewage  treatment unit. It should be big enough to cope with 3 full days of usage of the pumps fail, so that’s 6 showers plus 36 loo flushes, which is around 650 litres. Do not let them tell you a 250 litre unit will do, you need capacity in this unit and the size isn’t that expensive. 

This is the sort of thing - this only has a single pump. 

https://www.sumpsandpumpsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/800S-Sewage-Pumping-Station--800ltr--58.html#SID=20

If you go with a single pump then insist on having a pump failure alarm and a high level alarm fitted. 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes you will have a second tank nearer the house that has one or two pumps in it that basically takes all the effluent from the house, minces it and pumps it up to the sewage  treatment unit.

Right ok, so I need to check if he is putting in a second tank which I don't think he mentioned, unless this is what he meant all along.... 

Also if having one of these, I would also buy a general purpose submirsible dirty water pump and a length of solid discharge hose so when something goes wrong you can manually pump out the holding tank, which you will need to do if one of the pumps fails and needs replacing.

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

manually pump out the holding tank, which you will need to do if one of the pumps fails and needs replacing.

you mean WHEN it fails 

what ever it takes to avoid pumping i would do it -even if it seems more expensive now --

gravity never needs replacing --pumps do 

I had macerartors in buildings --nothing but problems  --every one failed with a few years 

someone puts something in the bog that is solid -- like a kid dropping a toy car  in there - you got problems 

only thing Iwould consider is a pump AFTER the sewage treatment -then its definately only water you moving - not a turd chopper 

16 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you mean WHEN it fails 

what ever it takes to avoid pumping i would do it -even if it seems more expensive now --

gravity never needs replacing --pumps do 

Unfortunately the option for gravity alone doesn't exist for us due to the site. It also explains why we had so many issues with our last septic tank (which was not pumped). 

On site now discussing.