Patchin up me porch

zoothorn

14 hours ago, markc said:

Looks good, and traditional, in keeping with the property. well done.

I hate cleaning up after grouting

Cheers markc.. glad it looks in keeping from your pov. To think I was going to lino this too before being persuaded to go with these old tiles. Shows my choices aren't up to par.

• Like 1

@joe90 Joe looking back at your tiles/ grout.. it's a mile better than mine: I'm dissapointed in the grout tbh. I mixed it super well, but saw this dark 'particle film patch' on the surface (I washed buckets thoughrally  before).. thought it was just not mixed in, so went at it again/ & it seemed to mix in.

But having done the job, it's appeared back again, in areas  Ive grouted. Instead of nice even-colour like yours, I have patches of this dark filmy bits interrupting- rather ruining it tbh. It looks very light grey like a bad cement job's been used, not top quality grout as it should be.

I mean it sort of blends in 'ok' to the rough n ready tiles.. but it's not up to par for a new grout job.

56 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

mean it sort of blends in 'ok' to the rough n ready tiles.. but it's not up to par for a new grout job.

i get what your saying but it’s an old place so does not look out of character. New, perfect grout with those old tiles would look odd (IMO).My build (although of cottage character) is a new build. Don’t beat yourself up, I still say it’s character. People spend a fortune on “distressed” furniture to make it look old. If your floor was perfect it would look too new. I rebuilt an old cottage up in Shropshire a couple of decades ago and did as your doing and used as many old materials as I could .

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

i get what your saying but it’s an old place so does not look out of character. New, perfect grout with those old tiles would look odd (IMO).My build (although of cottage character) is a new build. Don’t beat yourself up, I still say it’s character. People spend a fortune on “distressed” furniture to make it look old. If your floor was perfect it would look too new. I rebuilt an old cottage up in Shropshire a couple of decades ago and did as your doing and used as many old materials as I could .

My family has roots in shropshire, I'm sure it was a lovely cottage. Yes you're right, it does add a bit of 'old'  I guess from a distance.. but looks poorly done up close! hey ho/ never doing similar job again, no way.

Porch is a single skin brick/ block of some kind: do you think skirting-? would hide the 3/4" tile gaps to the wall opposite ye olde threshold.

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Porch is a single skin brick/ block of some kind: do you think skirting-? would hide the 3/4" tile gaps to the wall opposite ye olde threshold.

If it’s single skin I wonder if wooden skirting would rot? tho you could treat it well before fixing I suppose.

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If it’s single skin I wonder if wooden skirting would rot? tho you could treat it well before fixing I suppose.

That's a good point.. I was just looking at your smart curvey ones.. but you'd likely then have 2 courses, of course. Nah sod it I'll just fill the gaps.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps- yes it was always going to be imperfect! (actually I like the cr*p grout job now). Much appreciate the help, terrific again. Just finishy off bits:

I saw a ~4" (was it?) stone anglegrinder disc, in our fab welsh diy emporium 'Charlie's'- for £1.20.

Is this feasable-? if so I'll buy a cheapo Agrinder. It was the discs I was told £15 for cheapest (in toolstation), putting me off.. IE £50 just to cut 2 tiles up. But if £26 then makes sense even if it breaks after the next job.

Thanks zH

• 2 weeks later...

@joe90 I've manned-up.. got myslf a 4.5" Blk&DKR anglegrinder. How best to cut these tiles with it? does majority (I'm discarding) need to be clamped still whilst I whittle off my offcut > drops off? or set it on the ground & go at it there. I presume I get a stone cutting disc.

Thanks, zoot

Hi mate, glad your getting tools ?, best to get a diamond cutting disc (very small diamonds embedded in them, and not as expensive as you would imagine). Yes best to clamp the tile and keep both hands on the angle grinder, make sure you wear eye protection and a dusk mask. Watch this first,,,,,,,

@joe90 useful clip that Joe.

I just bought a diamond tipped blade for 'stone/ concrete', but confused about the shape. Took my grinder into the store, & the offset ones (none diamond tipped) sat perfectly centrally in the guard. All diamond ones were flat.. which I can only assume, do not fit centrally in the guard.

Have I got the right type? Ive no idea. Why are there two different disc shapes?

6 minutes ago, markc said:

@zoothorn yes diamond blades are flat, they will not sit in the middle guard and thats ok .

Really? I had just packed it up > was going to dive into town & swap for the non-diamond 'stone cutting' one.. because it was offset.

Ok but with alot of brick dust going on, it'll easily clog the 3mm or so gap. Seems odd.

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Really? I had just packed it up > was going to dive into town & swap for the non-diamond 'stone cutting' one.. because it was offset.

Ok but with alot of brick dust going on, it'll easily clog the 3mm or so gap. Seems odd.

It wont clog up, give it a go. Secret is to hold the grinder steady (no need to squeeze it or fear it) and let it glide through the material at its own pace. Takes a bit of getting used to but you will wonder how you ever got on without one.

51 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@zoothorn as said above its fine, as long as the blade does not rub the guard it will be fine.

Yup indeed. Ive just cut my 6x tiles bits.. no clogging & a breeze of a job too. Great that's one stress out the way.. unnerving things, you gotta keep total concentration. Useful for my balcony project to come, cut metal threaded bar as per my cabin base.

Thanks chaps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final bits fitted. Job done. Turned out fantastic, never thought I could have got this result, tiling especially. Do have some yellowing to the whited lower wall, damp getting thru etc, rhs of door.. but hey ho i expected this.

Big thank yous to Joe, Onoff & Co for the advice.

Zooter.

7A86EA5D-103F-4B1B-BA62-FA7F016A175F.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Final bits fitted. Job done. Turned out fantastic, never thought I could have got this result, tiling especially. Do have some yellowing to the whited lower wall, damp getting thru etc, rhs of door.. but hey ho i expected this.

Big thank yous to Joe, Onoff & Co for the advice.

Zooter.

7A86EA5D-103F-4B1B-BA62-FA7F016A175F.jpeg

looks spot on @zoothorn.!

Whats the next job then ..? Finish the shed or are we on with the balcony ..?