Patchin up me porch

zoothorn

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

250ml will go a long way if you make a pad with something like an old piece of tea towel over a small sponge. Wrap over and dip it in a dish of the stuff; squeeze excess and wipe over, it won’t use that much. 

Great tip.. will do just that then. Understand your suggestion of 'clean them up' too now.. getting the glue bits off 1st.

The sealer says 3 days to become fully resistant. Hmm.. was gonna grout tomorrow.

What would you do about the gaps to wall, & to the old slate? Both around 3/4". 

On 27/05/2021 at 20:27, joe90 said:

Cracking job zoot, see, you can do it, just need a bit of confidence (and a few pointers from buildhubbers ?‍♂️). ?

Its confidence, & motivation too/ the worst aspect of being 1 here. I'm a bit hesitant about the grout job.. not my forte. Also the depth is about 8x what Ive done with other normal thickness tiles too, so timeframe to do a similar say 2sq ft say is surely vastly different, meaning sponging time & stuff going off all much trickier surely.

A heap of pointers morelike! Were your tiles deep ones too Joe?

Is it possible to add a dye into mortar I wonder.. all I need is it a bit darker for my 3/4" gaps to 2 walls & slate threshold.

Concrete for my 2" gap. Hmm.. so that's what just adding some gravel into a 4:1 mix? I can never see how this addition adds strength to what would otherwise be mortar myself.

@joe90 Hi Joe. Did you run a grout shaping thing over your lines?

I didnt do a great job last time I grouted you see, go as usual to clips.. & there seems to be different ways, sponge, no sponge, running a shaping whatnot along lines after you've pressed the grout in, but never seen this before. I dont know where to start.

Im wondering if my silicone shaper tool, the type with 4 different rubbery end bits to choose profile etc, whether this is suitable or even ideal tool for the job?

Sponge? I always thought this was inherrant to the job, running diagonally across lines, after a period of time for grout to partially set.

Peter was right again, should indeed do the sealer before the grout.. because of the porous nature of the rough tile surface.

I'm beginning to think that it makes most sense to, & that I'd like to just be adopted by Peter. Is 49-3/4 too much?

zoot.

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

If when the grout is nearly dry it appears a little rough (grainy) you can wet your finger and very lightly rub the grout to smooth it of.

Ok thanks, I'll keep a pot of water nearby.. I like 'Randy's' idea of wetting the float before each grout too.

Its only the time leaving it, before attacking it with sponge my only main concern. And my higgledy tiles, many 5 mm high offsets one to the next, not gonna be a breeze this.

14 hours ago, joe90 said:

Its called “character “ (like my bricklaying ?)

But your bricks- all the same. These were some bowed, some fatter &/ or a smidge wider.. that's my defence anyway! (plus the floor had a hill & a gully to navigate). Almost a cm up some of them to the next. urgh. What would Randy do.. hmm..

On 24/04/2021 at 19:07, Onoff said:

How about a draught excluder let into the plant ons?

Something like this.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schlegel-aq21-window-door-seal-white-15m/2822P?tc=UT5&ds_kid=92700058173289226&ds_rl=1244072&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtqiw8H08AIVu2DmCh3IRADVEAQYAiABEgIes_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or more like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303812809301

Edited by SteamyTea

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Hi ST. Its a great idea.. trouble is I've not got even 1mm room for it.

One mistake Ive made doing plant ons in both my extension self-made door, & renovating the front door, is to not leave a 1-2mm gap, so my extension door has swollen a fraction & is squeezing onto the hinge-side plant-on almost preventing me closing ito onto the opposite latch side (& Im stuffed bc I glued & nailed the plant-ons to frame).

This front door I did leave a 1mm gap on hinge side.. but dont want anything to ruin it as it is.

Ideally you need to factor such an excluder in, whilst positioning the plant-ons, plus 1mm for safety/ in case door swells if its a new one I'd say.

22 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Zoot the hoot. It is looking good fella. You are better able than a lot of people i see tackling things. Give yourself the odd pat on the back sometimes while saying "That ain't too bad"

Hi there BigJ.. I'm only able if I take a huge ammount of time prior to jumping in, ie prep prep prep.. but even then I still do daft things!

It ain't too bad tho no. Cheers zH

• Like 1

Thank goodness I needed PeterW's advice, by re-reading replies prior to barrelling in (considering them, & not going my [lazyass] idea of sealing them after grouting..).. & sealed -prior- to grouting. I'd have had a grey disaster if I hadn't I think, so raw a surface they are. 4 coats I did too.

thanks- zH

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well done mate, see you can do it!

Its pulling my finger out Joe.. hard when the sun's finally come out to sweat it on yr knees on a floor fretting all day. Urgh.

Downhill now! paint the walls, varnish frame, fill the edge gaps in time: I tried to do with grout but its too much volume, over 1" deep & a good 3/4" along gaps to 3 walls. Maybe mortar fill up to a cm.. then top off with grout-? I'll cut 4x bits when an anglegrinder happens by, & mortar these 4 in (adjacent to door) as Ive no glue left. Save a bit of grout for them. should be ok.

• Like 1