Patchin up me porch

zoothorn

Floor tiles tend to be none slip too. Wall tiles will give you issues. 

Nothing wrong with that quarry though -

near perfect height and would look good. Why do you see a problem @zoothorn..??

How about lay them dry and see if you notice..??

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Floor tiles tend to be none slip too. Wall tiles will give you issues. 

Nothing wrong with that quarry though -

near perfect height and would look good. Why do you see a problem @zoothorn..??

How about lay them dry and see if you notice..??

Hmm ok if you think perfect height then I'll do a full dry test/ a good number of them.. with carpet under.

The reason is door frame height Peter. Not entrance door (these tiles are -perfect- for this upvc door, negating the 'wrong' step-over threshold & down 2" into porch). Its the pitch pine old frame @ only 1780mm that's the problem, same H as me! If I was a little fella- no probs/ whack quarrys down.

I sort of use the useful depth of the porch, before my slate hearth, to sort of facilitate getting under the frame > in! (I think.. will do your test idea tho).

On 17/05/2021 at 17:01, joe90 said:

Shouldn’t have been wearing your high heels then ?

Stolen my thunder Joe.

Is it just mapei standard tile adhesive & grout, same for floors as bathroom walls i did? nothing special need cos its a 'load bearing/ walking-on floor'?

As customory, a musical interlude @ page 10, to keep all my 1000's of followers from from self-harming.

("There was no way to get a 'coptor in close.." If self-harm is actually induced by it, skip to majestic clarinet solo @ 2.30 to make it better). zH

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Is it just mapei standard tile adhesive & grout, same for floors as bathroom walls i did? nothing special need cos its a 'load bearing/ walking-on floor'?

This stuff will do.. 

Got a mixing paddle and a 6mm notched trowel ..?

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

This stuff will do.. 

Got a mixing paddle and a 6mm notched trowel ..?

Actually hang about. It seems all these are rapid-set? Im wondering if I need non-rapid if Ive never done a floor before

Also the spacing between these 9x9's.. use my bag/ same 3mm spacers as my bathroom & kitchen tiles? I know its my choice, aesthetically, just wondering about the very high tiles (totally unlike any Ive used before, in kitchen & bathroom for eg) if squeezing in the grout job is made any trickier.

Thanks- zH

Might be best not to use rapid set if your not fast at tiling. Normal set is better  IMO. I used 5mm spacers and think it looks better for this type, you will need a lot of grout because of their thickness and the bigger gap will make it easier to push it in there. I tend to lay all the whole tiles first and let them go off, you can then stand/kneel on them to cut and fit the part tiles around the edge without moving the whole tiles.

58 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Might be best not to use rapid set if your not fast at tiling. Normal set is better  IMO. I used 5mm spacers and think it looks better for this type, you will need a lot of grout because of their thickness and the bigger gap will make it easier to push it in there. I tend to lay all the whole tiles first and let them go off, you can then stand/kneel on them to cut and fit the part tiles around the edge without moving the whole tiles.

Hi Joe- good I'll use 5mm spacers then. Afaict @ screwfix, all the mapei ones (used 2x before/ know great so best I continue with mapei) are rapid set. I need all the help on this, so mixing a heap then stressing about when its gonna go off, or wondering if it has done or not, or even using gone off stuff.. is the last thing I need tbh.

5mm might help me out too.. trying to do without cutting any, unless you might think I can cut with something other than an angle grinder-?

Right then just make sure you mix small amounts so you don’t have to rush, better to throw some away than spoil it by rushing. If you have to cut some use a stone cutting disc https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-masonry-stone-segmented-diamond-cutting-blade-115-x-22-2mm/4896v these won’t set your nuts alight (only happens with metal). Make sure you mix the adhesive thoroughly. 

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Right then just make sure you mix small amounts so you don’t have to rush, better to throw some away than spoil it by rushing. If you have to cut some use a stone cutting disc https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-masonry-stone-segmented-diamond-cutting-blade-115-x-22-2mm/4896v these won’t set your nuts alight (only happens with metal). Make sure you mix the adhesive thoroughly. 

You mean use this disc.. in my drill driver, or elec drill? Might have to wear my cricket box Joe.

Found mapei non-rapid stuff toostation.. gonna help alot.

So just gotta prep all the tiles, all been outside for many years. Would you suggest try clean - with exactly what Im researching, inc brick acid as suggested- before laying, or once laid?

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

You mean use this disc.. in my drill driver, or elec drill?

No, angle grinder (small), you do have one right? If not...https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msag750-750w-4-electric-angle-grinder-220-240v/970.   (You know you want one right?)

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

brick acid as suggested- before laying, or once laid?

Clean them before laying (they need to be clean ish on the back so they stick, 

43 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

So just gotta prep all the tiles, all been outside for many years. Would you suggest try clean - with exactly what Im researching, inc brick acid as suggested- before laying, or once laid?

So what sort of “muck” is on them ..? If they are just dirty then a bucket of hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush is best. Ideally you want to then dry them out and seal them before laying. 

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

So what sort of “muck” is on them ..? If they are just dirty then a bucket of hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush is best. Ideally you want to then dry them out and seal them before laying. 

Hi Peter- usual garden muck, backs will be fine scrubbed as you say but its the fronts worser: I'll try baking soda + vinegar 1st on a broken one see if any good.. then brick acid if needed.  Might have to be 'rustic worn' look I think, was never gonna be a perfect job this.

Sealed? I got 250mls of Mattstone tile sealer/ 1/2 a tin left. Will have to do! pricey stuff. I put this on my grouted bathroom tiles (I was adamant the colour was coming off).. so I think could be done post grout: maybe even the grout & sponging it off etc will ruin it if done before laying-? mapei grout is quite strong stuff iirc.. & I'll have a lot going on w'me fatso tiles plus 5mm spacings.

No damn non-rapid setting mapei adhesive stuff available.. or the others either: seems everyones doing the same here. Got one mapei one via RM tho coming sat. Damn 1000x packs of spacers.. such a huge placcy waste/ I'll only use 100 tops. Who the feck ever uses 1000??

thanks- zH

After all this 2 day rain deluge here, porch shown me its weak spot.. my new mortar here, dark area middle of photo, was noiceably wet yesterday. Now just a dark damp area. The rotten 1" wood bit directly above near ceiling, actually dry. So I cannot see where this is eminating from, no obviously outside cracks or holes. Odd.

Filled the frame wet rot area in 'natural' filler.. hmm yellow doesn't seem too natural to me!

Cleaning up my tiles over wknd, most were concreted in somewhere so alot of edge stuff to remove.. painstaking to clean/ prep allthese 50 tiles.

zh

E8C3E02A-4FC7-4A3C-8BA5-A0A7E94D8D89.jpeg

Tiles concrete remoeved & scrubbed w'soap.. but nothing hardcore solution tried yet. On the whole many are fine as is, but a third are like the eg in post below: if laid like so will look like i have permanent black mould. Very welded on this indeed.

A3D687C1-EAA6-4677-B64F-64ACBD83CEA4.jpeg

4 hours ago, jfb said:

Filler like that never looks quite right. I tend to fill with mortar instead. 
not sure about the damp. Do you have a picture from the outside?

No it looks awful tbh. Not sanded down tho yet so will blend in better.. & I might varnish the old frame plus my strap-ons trim bits too, to darken/ blend in with door better, so hopefully will darken this awful yellow filler too.

Well the outside jfb shows no signs of obvious ingress.. pic to follow.

thanks zoot

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

will look like i have permanent black mould.

No, even my brand new ones have slightly dark areas , it’s the firing that does it. Again it’s an old cottage, anything too new will look out of place IMO.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

No, even my brand new ones have slightly dark areas , it’s the firing that does it. Again it’s an old cottage, anything too new will look out of place IMO.

Ah.. well then, I sort of thought its so welded on I doubt anything could remove it, & seemed embedded in the brick as it were.

Yes was thinking if my tiles say looked A+ like yours, it might not work with my oldy higgledy frame & walls.

I do have a good few chipped corners, chip out bits to top edges.. you think this might not look so bad? I guess i cant do much to rectify.