Tesla going in today !

Pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

charge the battery for night use

Do you know, or can you accurately estimate, your night usage?

Don't know what your weather is like so far north and east of the true West Country, but down here it is a 'no weather day'.

So just a white/grey sky and no wind, occasional rain.  But because there is a lot of scattered light, it would be interesting to see how much your PV will generate, probably not as bad as one assumes.

Edited by SteamyTea

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The mistakes and bad choices I could make with money!

We are the giants . We are effectively the first men on the moon . We f’up a bit on our bodged oxygen tanks and dodgy foil clad lunar module . But we are conquering the unknown with our hearts and tiny bit of head and wallet .

Go forward young OnOff Skywalker !

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Lol at the moment it’s almost nothing . So during winter my electric bill is going to be just a few £’s a month . I need to move in properly then I can estimate much more accurately.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Don't know what your weather is like so far north and east of the true West Country, but down here it is a 'no weather day'.

So just a white/grey sky and no wind, occasional rain.  But because there is a lot of scattered light, it would be interesting to see how much your PV will generate, probably not as bad as one assumes.

Just saw the rest of your post.

Weather in Bristol about the same yet .....

Obviously that could change in the next 10 seconds .

5FB53A89-01B9-48C8-B42D-0E2C80D9911C.png

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

I need to move in properly then I can estimate much more accurately.

What do you use in the place you currently live in?

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I tend to use man-maths which means I can work the numbers to get the result I want every single time

There are many on here that will agree with that method.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

What do you mean ? . To measure my consumption in my current abode ??

Yes, it will not change much when you initially move into your new place (we take our habits with us).

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

A2A39A17-2A41-479D-BE37-EEAA0E91EA15.png

Yes, and no.  That is pretty useless really, can't see any numbers, so just about impossible to work out what is happening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, it will not change much when you initially move into your new place (we take our habits with us).

Yes, and no.  That is pretty useless really, can't see any numbers, so just about impossible to work out what is happening.

Some stuff for you !

App does generate a csv which I can’t upload . Can rename and upload later if you like .

AB019FB8-F9FC-4985-8CA1-8B281727929E.png

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

for me the battery is for usage at night. so I can power all the TVs, music players, lights, heating, DHW etc when the sun has gone down. then the next day use the excess PV to charge the battery up and do it all over again. 

I'm aware this won't work in the winter due to the lack of sun but, in my mind, this is perfect for what I want during the summer months. 

Which would suit, exactly, a system which minimises losses, and one that is manufacturer warranted to hibernate instead of grid recharge  ( at random in the worst case scenario ) on whatever the energy cost is at that particular time. 

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Which would suit, exactly, a system which minimises losses, and one that is manufacturer warranted to hibernate instead of grid recharge  ( at random in the worst case scenario ) on whatever the energy cost is at that particular time. 

very good point well made. like I said, for me, SolarWatt is still a consideration but Tesla is still at the top of the list. 

I think I read about a Tesla tariff (I think Octopus) where with an EV, PV and PW2 you can import and export at 8p and not have a standing charge. that will also play a factor if that's possible as not having a standing charge is definitely a bonus as well as being able to buy electricity if required at the same cost we're paid for exporting it.

once again, I'm about 4 months at least away from buying this stuff so it could all change and I will be doing a LOT more research on the whole thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

very good point well made. like I said, for me, SolarWatt is still a consideration but Tesla is still at the top of the list. 

I think I read about a Tesla tariff (I think Octopus) where with an EV, PV and PW2 you can import and export at 8p and not have a standing charge. that will also play a factor if that's possible as not having a standing charge is definitely a bonus as well as being able to buy electricity if required at the same cost we're paid for exporting it.

once again, I'm about 4 months at least away from buying this stuff so it could all change and I will be doing a LOT more research on the whole thing.

Please remember to factor in throughput. 
If you use the grid to charge the battery with any regularity, as well as PV, you are increasing the duty of the electronica and the cells, therefore reducing longevity. 
From what I’ve heard “on the solar grapevine”, that throughput is recoded by the PW and can cause a premature FO from Tesla if you go to claim on the warranty ( and have ‘exceeded 100,000 miles on the clock’ ) .
Haven’t asked very recently, but add that question to your decision-making list ;)  

Speaking to SW anytime now so I’ll update here  on ETA of UPS / EPS etc accordingly ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Yeah I saw that Tesla octopus tariff . Can’t work out if it’s better . What I don’t like is effectively they are controlling your battery .

Just now, Thorfun said:

true

I’ll choose agile to start with then see . You can swap without penalty between agile and go . What I don’t want to do is keep swapping !! . Just a tariff that works for me most of the time . If you do go Tesla it would be interesting to see how you fair on a different tariff. Of course you’ll have different consumption at different times with different weather - so a very accurate comparison ?

The other point I’d like to make actually involves JSHarris . When he installed an update for his Tesla car the update claimed ( from memory ) a 5% increase in range . And it did exactly that . Unlike Apple whom cripple your hardware forcing you to purchase . The fact Tesla isn’t trying to skim you and lots of their car software is available source wise too look at online is a nice plus . ?

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

What I don’t like is effectively they are controlling your battery .

Erm...you're a Crapple fan and live with their quirks (restrictions?) as you highlight, so why the issue with Tesla?

You'd like to think Tesla use the gleaned data proactively. They do I believe listen to customer feedback on the cars at least.

Edited by Onoff