Anyone got a hamster

So is this a case whereby vermin let loose in an MVHR system could actually be a GOOD thing? I'm thinking maybe a degu or chinchilla would be more appropriate size wise.

Sort of a self cleaning system, just plumb the Rotastak in!

xD

Seriously, that stuff can't be good for you, would it harbour bugs etc you'd be breathing in? What is the protocol for periodic cleaning of these ducts.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Sort of a self cleaning system, just plumb the Rotastak in!

xD

Seriously, that stuff can't be good for you, would it harbour bugs etc you'd be breathing in? What is the protocol for periodic cleaning of these ducts.

I can see it now, don't hide the ducts in floor voids, use clear pipe and get the kids pets rotastack connected to it, fun for everyone watching them scurry along the ceiling ( cleaning the ducts)

seriously though I plan to have access to the Manifold in the loft so I can vacuum there and if necessary use fluff balls ( non animal cleaners) from the plenum sucked through the duct.

Just now, joe90 said:

I would have thought a flexible drain cleaner cable with a fluffy ball on the end would do it especially if the vacuum is left running in the manifold, can't seam to find a fluffy ball on the tinternet.

I'd be VERY careful with your search terms there.....

• Like 2

Guest Alphonsox
4 hours ago, le-cerveau said:

There was a thread in eBuild close to this (Rodents in Ducting) talking about pulling/blowing cleaning balls through the ducting.  The text is still viewable, but most of the links are broken and the pictures gone.

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/17948-rodents-in-the-ducting/

That was me - I'd forgotten all about that incident until now - obviously trying to blank it out !

We ended up using a usb endoscope to examine the ducting. It turns out the intruders had only made it back as far as the manifolds where they had set up home. The distribution ducts were thankfully clear as far as we could see. To clean the manifold, inlet and outlets ducts we completely dismantled things and used a hose pipe outside, followed by a scrub down with soapy water.

Like is stated earlier there is a serious side to this. When we put the system in we were told it was not necessary to install filters at the ceiling intakes. We are currently planning the system for our new house so will fit filtered vents from the beginning.

Replacements can be expensive but you can buy sheets of cooker hood filter material that can be cut down to size.

As for the system in our other house where we currently are staying i might try and fashion a ball of fluffy stuff on a string that can be sucked down the pipe and pulled back

I can get to the manifold and there is no build up inside so is just in the vents and pipes.

Or not worry clean what i can see and forget it.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I took the hard plastic bit of the end of the hoover hose and put the flexible bit as far in as it would go. Got about 1500mm down the duct. 

When I put my hand in most of the dust was in the first 200mm not much after that.

That's good to know.

So, if you keep it clean - filtered, it won't need cleaning? I wonder what the implications are for the system if the filters reduce the flow and you cannot balance supply / extract without decreasing the supply area to match the resistance of the filters, will this not lead to an increase in overall flow rate, and associated fan speed to achieve the air changes and won't that increase running cost and noise to the point where cleaning is a better option. Just wondering - too much coffee - still hyper!