Our Jeremy's in a podcast !

Well worth an hour to listen to Jeremy, it's nice to hear the trials and tribulations of a self builder, it was also nice to hear Jeremy praising the role of Self build forums play in supporting self builders. So thanks to Jeremy for his input in the past and hopefully in the future and a plea to anyone thinking of being negative, ask yourself, is my response a positive contribution to the debate, if the answers no, ask yourself why your posting it.

I'd also like to thank Keith, the guy who ran The Ebuild forum and the team running this forum, keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the messages of support, they are appreciated. 

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've just spent a couple of hours writing a PM to Jamie, copied to the staff and another here, explaining, wholly from my perspective and what I've heard subsequently, what went down back in May.  Sadly he's blocked PMs from me so won't get to read it.......................

Edited by JSHarris
typos
  • Like 1

Not wanting to detract from this thread so I'll keep it short. Ref the issues between myself and Jeremy, we've been in direct contact throughout the day and the air has I hope been cleared over this. I'm in a better position knowing what apparently went on over eBuild's demise. Jeremy made some comments in haste ref his setting up his own site which riled myself and others. I bit and had a little dig back then and that carried on over to here. Jeremy has been gracious enough to admit this and I've genuinely conveyed my respect for what he's achieved and that I would be sad to see him go. I really do mean that. Apologies also for the self promotion jibe.

I'd like to leave it at that.

Regards

• Like 7

18 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Sadly he's blocked PMs from me so won't get to read it.......................

I'll have a word with him later. Hes on a plane at the mo so I don't know when he will next check in. Whatever happens it will be better for you two to at least clear the air. Whether it end in a blazing row or mutual disagreement is none of my business but I will try to get him to hear you out. 

5 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I'll have a word with him later. Hes on a plane at the mo so I don't know when he will next check in. Whatever happens it will be better for you two to at least clear the air. Weather it end in a blazing row or mutual disagreement is none of my business but I will try to get him to hear you out. 

I'm already in contact. ;)

• Like 1

Just to be clear, if he still holds the same view after he's read everything that's circulating by PM, then that's absolutely fine by me.  It was the thought that, like lots of former Ebuild members, he didn't know very much about went on over that 24 hour period that concerned me.  There were a heck of a lot of rumours flying around, and some normally very calm people lost their tempers over what they thought was going on at the time, including me when I was penalised when all I'd done was get proper (and free) legal advice, as a way of trying to help.

It's slightly off-topic, and is in the  forum rules (I know, because I put it there when I wrote them) , but still  worth a reminder here, I think, as it's pertinent to the point being made. 

If you write something in a post on a forum, and that is defamatory, or even libellous, then it is you, the poster, that is the person that legal action can be taken against, under normal circumstances. 

Those of us that started this forum will remember the debates about this, as it was in the front of our minds after Ebuild closed, but the law is very clear, a forum owner cannot normally be held responsible for the content of posts, except under some exceptional circumstances. 

None of those exceptional circumstances applied in the case of Ebuild, and not one single post that remained in that on-line debacle was libellous.

At least three made by the protagonist and instigator of it were potentially libellous, but the moderators had removed them very quickly (within minutes) and so no significant harm was caused.  That's not my view, that's the view of the judge who read it all and pronounced on whether or not anything was actionable in his legal opinion.

Edited by JSHarris
typo
  • Like 2

Well I've only had chance to listen to the first podcast and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Jeremy does sound far too young ;) 

However his verbal style is as clear and confident as his writing. 

As as for the rest of this thread.......

GROUP HUG ???

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

The English way, when you disapprove of something, is to say nothing ;)

possibly, but that's not the Essex way, I like to have it out, we can fall out in the end if we want but at least it has been "aired". no point in us all muttering in corners over misconceptions......

but then again I am a builder so i may see things slightly differently ;) 

On 14/01/2017 at 13:15, jamiehamy said:

Why you ask? Because no-one ever did Ed - no-one ever did. It was all secret squirrel as you know. I watched what unfolded over a few days and it's beyond me how anyone can claim it had nothing to do with Jeremy. Some of what he wrote was downright outrageous about a certain person/company.He was maybe not the only one, but he created mayhem. 

And that's just ebuild. I'm being blunt on this thread because as far as I'm concerned, the whole ebuild thing got swept under the carpet, but here was are with one person STILL creating issues. The same person saying he won't use/comment on this forum but yet continues to do so? 

I'm still wondering how someone who doesn't use this forum has over 11,000posts. 

Edit: I have un hidden this post as I think it is better for the whole story to be visible while things are being discussed. If I am wrong in doing so. On my head be it. 

Ed

It's a great shame that you blocked PMs from me, as I mentioned earlier this is a topic that would be far better discussed privately.  I'd be more than happy to speak to you on the phone, where you could tell me exactly what it is you think I posted that was "downright outrageous" about a company that no one I know of has ever traded with.  I have a full copy of the "Ebuild incident" posts, and having read through them there wasn't a single one by me that was in any way outrageous, untrue or the cause of the problem that evening.  There were revelations by others in that thread that were contentious, including one that was most probably unlawful under the rehabilitation of offenders act, but none of those posts were made by me.  The thread wasn't started be me, either, FWIW, it was started by someone with an innocent wish to let people know about a trading relationship, nothing more.

A simple Companies House check on the web will prove the one point I made on that thread that could have, but as it happened didn't, cause the problem.

I will publicly apologise for my loss of temper in December, as I have done, more than once, to all the other founding members.  I was out of order, and the cause was not something I'm going to go into detail about in public, suffice to say that I over-reacted to what I mistakenly thought was post censorship and moderation policy, a subject that had been sensitive in July last year, when I took a break from posting here to get on and sort out some stuff in my private life.

To answer your question about post numbers that show here, the answer is that I had nothing to do with changing them, have never had the permissions here to do so, and it was a bit of a joke from when the forum first went live, as I recall.  When the software here was being set up and tested, someone (not me) asked a question about the post counters and one of the Admins said they could be initially set to any number.  Someone in the founding group  (I honestly can't remember who - it was a discussion on the temporary private forum the 16 of us used before this site set up) suggested that we should all start off with the same post totals as we had on Ebuild, so that's what was done.  If you look around, then you'll find that all the founding members here had their starting post totals set up like this, as far as I know.

It was intended as a bit of a joke, a bit like another forum I'm on where every post in a certain section subtracts one from your post count that's shown, but if it causes offence to enough people I would guess the Admins here could sort it out somehow.

I would rather we clear the air about this, and be completely open and honest, rather than have anyone with lingering doubts as anyone's motives, actions or whatever.  FWIW, I'd prefer straight-talking and absolutely detest secrecy unless there is a very good reason for it, so your final comment to Ed about re-posting this is fine with me, and is what I would have done myself in your circumstances.

• Like 4