Just unlocked my front door remotely accidentally

Pocster

Yeah yeah yeah !!

Inadvertently hit the “unlock front door” whilst deploying the latest code .

ffs !

Drove to the other side of town to close my own door 

ffs !

Will add a “yes/no” prompt followed by a 4 digit code to prevent said happening again 

ffs !

Where’s my wine ?!

• Haha 1

Someone I know has an alarm system that uses a 455MHz (?) wireless key fob to enable and disable it. While away on holiday the alarm went off and the neighbour call them to let them know. Their response was to ask the neighbour to hold his phone near the alarm box so they could use their key fob to turn it off ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Temp said:

Someone I know has an alarm system that uses a 455MHz (?) wireless key fob to enable and disable it. While away on holiday the alarm went off and the neighbour call them to let them know. Their response was to ask the neighbour to hold his phone near the alarm box so they could use their key fob to turn it off ?

I can well believe that !

Guys 

If you have an intercom and you can ‘buzz’ to open the front door and let someone in that’s a feature you want .

If in the above example you wire/code so you can buzz the front door open from the other side of the world that’s up to you !

This isn’t a failing in the door . I’ve simply wired in to allow remote access . The intention was exactly the same as the intercom example . The fact I can do it remotely is a side effect I can code around to prevent accidental opening or if I wish make it deliberately not possible .

I just thought it happening would give someone a laugh .

Edited by pocster

12 hours ago, pocster said:

Yeah yeah yeah !!

ffs !

Drove to the other side of town to close my own door 

ffs !

Will add a “yes/no” prompt followed by a 4 digit code to prevent said happening again 

ffs !

Where’s my wine ?!

By the sound of that you’ve drunk it all.

(PS Yes it did give me a larf.)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Guys 

If you have an intercom and you can ‘buzz’ to open the front door and let someone in that’s a feature you want .

If in the above example you wire/code so you can buzz the front door open from the other side of the world that’s up to you !

The few times I have encountered that, when you "buz" the door, that means it can be pulled to open it.  But if you don't pull it and stop buzzing it it remains closed and locked.

The daft part of what you have is not only unlocking the door but springing it open.

• Like 1

Can you use your phone to collect your wallet when you leave it at home.

Or, can you use your phone to get your phone when you leave it indoors.

I have a key under the mat.  Seems to work well.

Coding time, zero, training time, zero, reliability, 100%.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

The few times I have encountered that, when you "buz" the door, that means it can be pulled to open it.  But if you don't pull it and stop buzzing it it remains closed and locked.

The daft part of what you have is not only unlocking the door but springing it open.

Yeah . I suppose it should be ‘unlock’ but you need to push it to open - fair point 

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you use your phone to collect your wallet when you leave it at home.

Or, can you use your phone to get your phone when you leave it indoors.

I have a key under the mat.  Seems to work well.

Coding time, zero, training time, zero, reliability, 100%.

Yes . I can use my phone to send the mob round to your house to get your key . ( it’s under the flower pot we all know that )

13 hours ago, pocster said:

Surely the door is smarter than to make you go around the town to lock it again. I recall having a car, I might still have it somewhere, that you can unlock remotely but if you don't open the door in 10 seconds it locks again so if you accidentally hit the unlock it protects itself and of course you could always hit the lock button!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Surely the door is smarter than to make you go around the town to lock it again. I recall having a car, I might still have it somewhere, that you can unlock remotely but if you don't open the door in 10 seconds it locks again so if you accidentally hit the unlock it protects itself and of course you could always hit the lock button!

The door lock supplied is just open then shut .

Quick look today and there is a spring ( assume it’s not a cable housing ) that opens the door . I could remove it 

62AF170E-E285-47ED-8184-71AB0C541BC0.jpeg

Thats a cable I woukd say.

My last car was a 330D BMW. 

You can start it with the key in the car..then remove the key leave it in the house. Then get in drive 30 miles....turn it off.....and then and only then realise  you have no key to restart it. I learned that the hard way

• Haha 1

Definitely a cable. You may find the door is just being pushed open by the seals - a decent tight fitting door compresses the seals and will push open when the handle is released. 

And why do you want this “feature” anyway..? Do you let random strangers into your house from 50 miles away ..? Are you expecting the Tesco delivery driver to put the shopping away for you too ..?

Or is it for when you’ve forgotten your keys and you can get back in ..?

Out of interest - how does it behave in a power cut ..? Does it fail safe and open ..??

3 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

My last car was a 330D BMW. 

You can start it with the key in the car..then remove the key leave it in the house. Then get in drive 30 miles....turn it off.....and then and only then realise  you have no key to restart it. I learned that the hard way

What was ever wrong with the old concept of needing a key in the lock and turning it to start the car?

And then the key remained captive unless you turned the key to the "stop" position and only then could you remove it.

These modern pushbutton things in cars now are a "solution" that is looking for a "problem" but in the process creates new problems.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Definitely a cable. You may find the door is just being pushed open by the seals - a decent tight fitting door compresses the seals and will push open when the handle is released. 

And why do you want this “feature” anyway..? Do you let random strangers into your house from 50 miles away ..? Are you expecting the Tesco delivery driver to put the shopping away for you too ..?

Or is it for when you’ve forgotten your keys and you can get back in ..?

Out of interest - how does it behave in a power cut ..? Does it fail safe and open ..??

He wants to let the ‘entertainment’ into the house whilst he’s supping a cocktail in the hot tub ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2