USB Enabled Sockets

Onoff

Anyone taking advantage of the cheap deals on these be aware there might be an ulterior motive to shift them. With the new "any way up" USB-C connector becoming more common you might end up having "old" sockets when they bring out power sockets with USB-C ports rather than USB-A as they are at present:

USB-C-vs-Lightning-port-size-dimension-comparison-graphic.png

Edited by Onoff

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

[...] might end up having "old" sockets when they bring out power sockets with USB-C ports rather than USB-A as they are at present:

@MrsRA used to build high-end computers in her own time (when it was worthwhile doing so), and as well as that, she hoards. So, we have every single 'technology' somewhere squirreled away in this old house - from an Amiga through zip drives, 4.5 inch floppies, ZX Spectrum any number of laptops, a few 'boxes, spare memory and some random number of Processors; the loft is groaning,  in one (used to be) bedroom  you can slip on defunct CDs lying around the place.

USB A? It's a spring chicken. "You never know when we might need it"

Give me strength folks, strength.

Guest Alphonsox
7 hours ago, ProDave said:

This is probably the best argument for NOT fitting USB sockets at all, and just using plug in adaptors of whatever flavour is in use today.

Completely agree - and you get an off switch for the USB charge circuit. As far as I can see the integrated ones are powered 24/7.

53 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Completely agree - and you get an off switch for the USB charge circuit. As far as I can see the integrated ones are powered 24/7.

Yep don't get USB sockets in mains plugs. Way too much risk of outdated tech.

I made an "iShelf". The cables disappear into a cupboard that houses a multipoint USB power bank.

The only annoying thing is I should have made it from Apple not Oak :D

10609720_10152637822922960_8708760659880103187_n.jpg10420164_10152637823657960_8388230257413576283_n.jpg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Yep don't get USB sockets in mains plugs. Way too much risk of outdated tech.

I made an "iShelf". The cables disappear into a cupboard that houses a multipoint USB power bank.

The only annoying thing is I should have made it from Apple not Oak :D

But then it would have cost twice as much and you would have had to use iscrews to fix it to the wall. no other tyoe of screw would have been compatible.

• Like 4

I have managed to find one very ugly USB-C built in socket so far.

With the ability to provide 100W I doubt they will be replaced for some time and I wouldn't mind putting a few in.

We are in an annoying switchover period though where many people will still be using USB-A for the next few years. I am surprised how slowly people are moving over to C, but I see more and more phones now come with C, it is funny though that they are still usually designed to charge up from a USB-A socket.

The point is though, USB A is the default connector. There are then a myriad of different sized and flavours of usb socket on all your devices. you just use an adaptor lead to suit the device you are charging. The same would be true if your outlet was USB C.

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The screws aren't 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock O.o

:D

I know I know, stop it. :$

they were and then of course the crappy bloody wall plugs lost a bit of tension in the equallly crappy plasterboard so I had to "winch em up a bit".  'Twas a sad sad day :( 

V2 will have secret fixings so no screws on display :D and some other modifications. Mind you by the time I get round to making it they will have developed truly wireless charging or you'll just get Alexa saying...... "Barney, I've noticed your phone is at 50%, I'm charging it for you now" 

• Like 1

@Bitpipe

Hugh, did Smiffy fit the same USB sockets for you ( not plug socket integrated but stand alone ones ) as he did for Greg?

These had an integrated switch which only energised the transformer when an USB plug was fully inserted.

Whats the general consensus with the vampire load on these cheap ones ( socket USB duos ) as I can't recall seeing one specifically mention if the transformer is constantly energised OR NOT? A house full of these may add up but I won't shit the bed over it that's for sure. 

21 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

The single advantage is that the socket cannot be taken to work, lost in the sofa or chewed by the cat.

Exactamundo squire. B|. The dustbin lids constantly disappear with ours, and it drives me nuts. 

I've promoted / fitted these on the last couple of kitchen fits and folk are raving over them. Less clutter and more convenience. 

9 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Still not getting it.

Try to keep up old boy 9_9:D

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Bitpipe

Hugh, did Smiffy fit the same USB sockets for you ( not plug socket integrated but stand alone ones ) as he did for Greg?

These had an integrated switch which only energised the transformer when an USB plug was fully inserted.

Whats the general consensus with the vampire load on these cheap ones ( socket USB duos ) as I can't recall seeing one specifically mention if the transformer is constantly energised OR NOT? A house full of these may add up but I won't shit the bed over it that's for sure. 

He's here now making sure OpenReach play nicely with his work so will ask him. We have the integrated sockets though with two USB A under the switches.