Smoke problem from neighbours

Hi everyone. I put this problem on hold for a couple of months as it got warmer and I haven't had any problems with my neighbour and his wood burning stove.

It's that time of year again, it got colder and every day now, I get regular intake of smoke filling the house and it's really unpleasant to say the least.

I would try to reposition the intake inside the loft. The loft is ventilated naturally.

I haven't heard anyone do this but I can't see why this would be a problem.

What do you guys think?

@Mr Punter I had a quick look at Mikeee5's topic, I can't lower the intake, it's just not practical enought. I have noticed that when the smoke comes out from my neighbour's chimney it goes everywhere, front to back of the house. The only time I don't get any problems is when the wind blows the other way.

The air is clean in the loft (I hope), next time when the nuisance happens I'll go in the loft and see if there any smoke smell in there.

Has anyone ever used automotive carbon cabin filter in a mvhr?

If the smoke surrounds the house it will be in the loft too.  If you have the supply air from the loft you may get some stale air from the house and some smoke from the neighbour, but if it is easy to do and reversible it is worth a go.

I've got another problem to contend with now, not only the smoke from the multi fuel stove, but now my neighbour has just decided to install a vent from his cooker hood, comes out of his wall like a jet, straight onto my driveway, can always smell what he's cooking, stinks! Can see me needing a charcoal filter when I eventually get it fired up!

On 14/10/2020 at 12:37, MikeGrahamT21 said:

my neighbour has just decided to install a vent from his cooker hood, comes out of his wall like a jet, straight onto my driveway, can always smell what he's cooking, stinks!

While I'd treat it as a last resort, in theory you could consider taking legal action for nuisance based on the precedent of Rylands v Fletcher. But a filter would be cheaper.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

While I'd treat it as a last resort, in theory you could consider taking legal action for nuisance based on the precedent of Rylands v Fletcher. But a filter would be cheaper.

Yeah, I already have a 'fruitful' relationship with this neighbour, we haven't spoken for years and I certainly can't be bothered opening that can of worms again. I'll see what happens when I switch the system on and take it from there.

On 14/10/2020 at 11:37, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I've got another problem to contend with now, not only the smoke from the multi fuel stove, but now my neighbour has just decided to install a vent from his cooker hood, comes out of his wall like a jet, straight onto my driveway, can always smell what he's cooking, stinks! Can see me needing a charcoal filter when I eventually get it fired up!

I'd set up a powerful, wall mounted fan, on my house in direct line of sight to his extract. Job done.

There was a building back in Hong Kong in the 80's, Standard, see through, curtain wall glass. A new skyscraper of a rival company went up opposite with architectural features resembling arrows on the facade this was all about Feng Shui. The new build deliberately presented an "aggressive" face to the one opposite. 

The original build commissioned a retro fit on that facade of mirrored glass to project the negative energy back.

I was in the one of the towers there for a short while in 1997, possibly one being pointed at!  (Asia Pacifc Tower?)

The really sick-making thing was the chaps walking straight out on the shiny steel spikes (HSBC building) without even a safety harness I think.

Rgds

Damon

Edited by DamonHD

14 minutes ago, DamonHD said:

I was in the one of the towers there for a short while in 1997, possibly one being pointed at!  (Asia Pacifc Tower?)

The really sick-making thing was the chaps walking straight out on the shiny steel spikes (HSBC building) without even a safety harness I think.

Rgds

Damon

Think it was the Cheung Kong Centre that went with the mirrored facade. Too long ago to remember exactly.

My company put kit on Exchange Square there.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night was a good first test for the MVHR in smoke conditions, i could definitely smell it in the house, especially near the supply vents, however when comparing to the outside smell, id say it was roughly around 10-20% of the strength using my smell-o-meter. The test as to whether i get a NOx box is how it performs with the wood burners nearby, and time will tell, so for now i'm not doing anything.

39 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Last night was a good first test for the MVHR in smoke conditions, i could definitely smell it in the house, especially near the supply vents, however when comparing to the outside smell, id say it was roughly around 10-20% of the strength using my smell-o-meter. The test as to whether i get a NOx box is how it performs with the wood burners nearby, and time will tell, so for now i'm not doing anything.

You could get a cheap PlantPower particulate sensor, stick it into the MVHR input pipe, then with a bit of code, set a limit for it to turn the MVHR off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You could get a cheap PlantPower particulate sensor, stick it into the MVHR input pipe, then with a bit of code, set a limit for it to turn the MVHR off.

Yeah absolutely, Vortice (the manufacturer of my MVHR) even sell a VOC sensor. Trouble is if its windy and smokey, the air could in theory still pass through the ducting, so would be better with some form of filter to fix the problem permanently.

2 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Trouble is if its windy and smokey, the air could in theory still pass through the ducting, so would be better with some form of filter to fix the problem permanently.

Having made air filter, you are going to need a very large area to reduce VOCs, they are not removed  the same way as dust.

So maybe a sensor and a flap.  In fact, cant you fit an ordinary spring loads flap the wrong way around.  Though it may rattle a bit if the spring is not strong enough.

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Having made air filter, you are going to need a very large area to reduce VOCs, they are not removed  the same way as dust.

So maybe a sensor and a flap.  In fact, cant you fit an ordinary spring loads flap the wrong way around.  Though it may rattle a bit if the spring is not strong enough.

Its possible, but there will be an associated pressure drop with a sprung flap i would imagine.

The plan is to get something like this if needs be: https://www.blauberg.co.uk/en/blauberg-cleanbox-nox-carbon-polution-pollen-indoor-air-quality-filter-box-for-heat-recovery-ventilation-systems

Like you say, its unlikely to be 100%, and no one will ever guarantee it will cure a smoke problem, but it should mitigate it somewhat.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2020 at 20:40, Savage87 said:

@Mr Punter I had a quick look at Mikeee5's topic, I can't lower the intake, it's just not practical enought. I have noticed that when the smoke comes out from my neighbour's chimney it goes everywhere, front to back of the house. The only time I don't get any problems is when the wind blows the other way.

The air is clean in the loft (I hope), next time when the nuisance happens I'll go in the loft and see if there any smoke smell in there.

Has anyone ever used automotive carbon cabin filter in a mvhr?

I was just listening to House Planning Help Podcast HPH256, with Tom Heywood from Green Build Store and he mentioned adding Active Carbon Filter to the intake.

https://www.houseplanninghelp.com/hph256-what-makes-a-well-designed-mvhr-system-with-tom-heywood/

On 14/10/2020 at 11:37, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Are there not boundary clearance distance regulations for these? Or is that only flues from gas appliances?

F

On 06/11/2020 at 11:57, SteamyTea said:

I have one of those sensor and don't do much, plus that you shoudn't turn off the MVHR ever.

On 06/11/2020 at 12:24, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Its possible, but there will be an associated pressure drop with a sprung flap i would imagine.

The plan is to get something like this if needs be: https://www.blauberg.co.uk/en/blauberg-cleanbox-nox-carbon-polution-pollen-indoor-air-quality-filter-box-for-heat-recovery-ventilation-systems

Like you say, its unlikely to be 100%, and no one will ever guarantee it will cure a smoke problem, but it should mitigate it somewhat.

I have been in contact with Blauberg for the same solution. This would add a lot of resistance to the system, it's an expensive solution and the filters are expensive as well

Insted, I have bought a 5 inch filter box from blauberg(amazon) and I have also bought a automotive carbon pollen filter to go in it and replace the g3 filter that comes with the filter box.

I can't say this will work as I haven't yet fitted it. For some reason I haven't been getting smoke in the house for a while, possible change in wind direction.

If this fails I'm planning to get a high flow hydroponics carbon filter.

Just now, Bitpipe said:

Agree, a few hours while it's particularly smokey outside will not make any difference. 

I agree with the above, mine is off for most of the summer as we open windows and doors during that time so frankly it’s redundant.