Black Friday Bargains

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

So no need to worry about the 3tb being HDD then on the Argos kiddy?

I just realised that 

Graphics:

• Shared graphics.
  • Intel HD Graphics .

may not be so great for gaming PC. Actually, unlikely it is gonna be enough. I have integrated in mine and it is OK for development / web but no good for modern gaming.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=which+graphics+card+for+1080p+gaming

May well make sense to have it assembled for you. Standard builds tend to use (some) cheap parts that compromise overall performance. 

On 18 November 2016 at 09:34, Declan52 said:

Dell are doing a basic laptop for £129 and an upgraded system for £199. 

Thanks for that. I'm on the lookout for a basic laptop- current one dates from 2009 and despite doing a complete system reinstall last year it still runs like a lame donkey.

About the only mildy taxing thing I do with it is Sketchup, everything else is internet, word docs, excel, and similar boring stuff.

I'll keep an eye on these Dell deals, if anybody spots anything similar give me a shout :)

14 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Thanks for that. I'm on the lookout for a basic laptop- current one dates from 2009 and despite doing a complete system reinstall last year it still runs like a lame donkey.

About the only mildy taxing thing I do with it is Sketchup, everything else is internet, word docs, excel, and similar boring stuff.

I'll keep an eye on these Dell deals, if anybody spots anything similar give me a shout :)

Well go like hot cakes

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I WAS supposed to 'inherit' my boys laptop, but it met with an untimely death as my boy was, most likely, swinging a fist at it when getting shot or overtaken during gameplay. ?. 

I love kids, but couldn't eat a whole one. 

If I thought I would get peace I would eat one but I would more than likely end up with heartburn or the runs.

• Like 2

He who hesitates etc. These were on Super Special the other day for £23 inc the dreaded!

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/Hard+Drives/3.5+Inch+SATA+Drives/1.5TB+-+8TB/2TB+Toshiba+DT01ACA200+3.5"+SATA+III+Hard+Drive+-+PULL+HDD+?productId=65666

I hesitated! Should have got a couple and built a Pi based NAS as I can't afford a Synology.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

I can only implore you to give Linux a go with it! Specifically Zorin OS that is so like Windows it might as well be! It'll even run MS Word, Excel etc. You can even try it out off a Live USB stick. 

http://zorinos.com

Tbh you can take the old HDD out of a duff laptop, place it on the ground, run over it then burn the remains. You can then boot from the Live stick and be on the net in under 5 minutes. All WITHOUT a hard disc in!

I have a mate who builds Linux and dual OS machines.

He offered to do me a recon Toughbook set up for boaty stuff (charting software etc already installed). Because one day I will have finished the house and get to go sailing again!

Somewhat tempting, would certainly be good to try it out first.

36 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I have a mate who builds Linux and dual OS machines.

He offered to do me a recon Toughbook set up for boaty stuff (charting software etc already installed). Because one day I will have finished the house and get to go sailing again!

Somewhat tempting, would certainly be good to try it out first.

PM me your address and I'll do you a Live USB stick to try. You just turn the lappy off, whack the stick in and turn on. You MIGHT need to set the BIOS to boot from USB or not. You select "try without installing". It loads the OS from the stick and you're up and running. Probably need to put your router password in to get on your Wi-Fi but no need if hard wired. Shut down  (in seconds) after having a play and remove the stick. When you boot again it'll be back to Windoze.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

PM me your address and I'll do you a Live USB stick to try. You just turn the lappy off, whack the stick in and turn on. You MIGHT need to set the BIOS to boot from USB or not. You select "try without installing". It loads the OS from the stick and you're up and running. Probably need to put your router password in to get on your Wi-Fi but no need if hard wired. Shut down  (in seconds) after having a play and remove the stick. When you boot again it'll be back to Windoze.

That sounds a good offer! PM incoming...

On 19/11/2016 at 16:41, Nickfromwales said:

After an hour of my boy going on and on about the PC he wanted, I remember he knew it'd need an upgraded graphics card. 

Iirc it was something along these lines

According to my resident nerd that card is "pretty good" and there's "two above it" the 1070 & 1080. Other monosyllabic suggestions were "small SSD", "big HDD".

Edited by Onoff

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

According to my resident nerd that card is "pretty good" and there's "two above it" the 1070 & 1080. Other monosyllabic suggestions were "small SSD", "big HDD".

Cheers. Seems that's the kiddy. 

NOW...........next question. Black Friday just grinds my gears, shall I wait until the January sales to buy the PC ? More machine vs same coin maybe?

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cheers. Seems that's the kiddy. 

NOW...........next question. Black Friday just grinds my gears, shall I wait until the January sales to buy the PC ? More machine vs same coin maybe?

Read more into that Argos pc and it apparently has a 250W psu (Questions & Reviews). I'm amazed if it really is that small?

That graphics card you also put up needs a 450W min.

FYI the mobo on the Argos one, it's an ASUS H110M-R:

Chipset Intel H110
CPU Interface Socket 1151
RAM Technology Dual-channel DDR4
RAM Slots 2 x 288-pin
RAM Speeds 2133Mhz
Max. Memory Support 32GB
Expansion Slots 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16
2 x PCI Express x1 2.0
Storage Controller(s) 4 x S-ATA 600
On-Board LAN Realtek® 8111H Gigabit LAN support LANGuard
On-Board Audio Realtek® ALC887 8-channel
On-Board Video Integrated Intel Graphics
Back Panel I/O Ports 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x VGA
1 x DVI-D
1 x HDMI
4 x USB 2.0 ports
2 x USB 3.0 ports
1 x LAN
3 x Audio jacks
Features Supports 6th Generation Intel Core Processor
Dual Channel DDR4, 2 DIMMs
8-channel HD Audio with High Quality Audio Capacitors
HDMI 1.4, DVI-D, D-sub ports for multiple display

Q-DIMM
Even if you work with a smaller case, just push down on the one-sided clip and push or pull RAM modules in or out – couldn't be simpler!

AI Suite 3
ASUS AI Suite 3 offers a brand-new user experience through a clearer and more attractive interface with support for larger monitors. It consolidates all exclusive ASUS features into one simple-to-use package, allowing you to supervise overclocking, energy consumption, fan speeds, voltages and more. This all-in-one app offers diverse and easy to use functionality, with no need to switch back and forth between different utilities.

Intel® H110 Express Chipset
Intel® Express chipset is a single-chipset design that supports 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 Core™ i7/Core i5/Core i3/Pentium®/Celeron® processors. It provides improved performance by utilizing serial point-to-point links, allowing increased bandwidth and stability. It natively supports up to four USB 3.0 ports for up to ten times faster transfer than USB 2.0. Moreover, Intel® H110 Express chipset also supports iGPU functions, letting users enjoy the latest Intel integrated graphics performance.

DDR4 Support
With DDR4, you'll accelerate memory frequencies up to an incredible to 2133MHz! And ASUS works with almost every DDR4 memory vendor, so you're assured the best compatibility.

I'd phone say Arbico and simply say you've been recommended to the, was thinking of the Argos one can they do anything similar. Nothing lost. Btw they were recommended to me. But come back and tell us before you part with cash!

Found that pc a bit cheaper here:

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/pb/Zoostorm-Desktop-PC-Evolve-16GB-RAM-On-board-integrated-Intel-HD-530-graphics-3TB-HDD-Windows-10-Home/id=2099701/

Have had stuff off Viking before. No issues.

IMHO this pc is pretty good for the money. The psu if 250W should be easy to change as a DIY job if you want to run a bigger graphics card. As it stands the onboard card will run some high end games at low to medium res. At the end of the day you are in budget territory in terms of gaming pcs. It comes down to will your boy be happy with it which I suspect he will. I've upgraded graphics and psus with my lad more times than I can remember! Sadly there'll always be something "better" out there and guaranteed after you buy it you'll see a better deal! Add the Argos / Viking price to the graphics card price plus say £50 for a decent, quiet psu and look at what you could get elsewhere e.g Arbico if you don't want the hassle. You'll be around the £900 mark upgrading the Argos one.

Edited by Onoff

On 19/11/2016 at 12:40, oldkettle said:

Definitely has to go inside.

How exactly depends on the connector of your laptop SSD. If it is M.2 then you will need an adapter http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2637817/connect-ssd-desktop.html

Overall this article seems to give a good idea what different formats you may find inside your laptop and how they fit. http://www.computershopper.com/feature/2016-guide-the-best-m.2-solid-state-drives-tested

11% cash back via Quidco on Viking at present.

Which should pay for your new PSU.

Edited by Ferdinand

Guest Alphonsox
2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Question.

Do all these various online outlets DO a 'January sale' ? Can't help thinking it's better to hold off rather than buy now.....

Aaaagh. ?

They may well have January sales but the prices could well be higher than those in the "black Friday/cyber Monday" events. The reason is that most of the black Friday prices will have been agreed with suppliers before the Brexit vote and the sudden drop in the value of the pound (electronic components are almost always priced in dollars). Prices will be rising in the new year.

1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

Well I need a Black Friday bargain on an American fridge freezer, a dyson cordless Hoover, and a new tumble dryer. Can't wait to go scrapping with people in currys on Friday morning!

Currys sale has already started online ..!

drainage sales has a extra 20% off today!!! Doesn't work for pipe only .

or one day only, we are giving 20% off of everything on our website if you order online. Just copy and paste this code into the Promotional Code Box on the Basket page and the discount will be automatically applied. 

BLACK-NEXO-RUPO-LJPD

In addition to this offer, our usual volume discounts of up to 10% still apply, meaning that for today only larger orders will be subject to a discount of up to 30%! 

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

drainage sales has a extra 20% off today!!! Doesn't work for pipe only .

or one day only, we are giving 20% off of everything on our website if you order online. Just copy and paste this code into the Promotional Code Box on the Basket page and the discount will be automatically applied. 

BLACK-NEXO-RUPO-LJPD

In addition to this offer, our usual volume discounts of up to 10% still apply, meaning that for today only larger orders will be subject to a discount of up to 30%! 

Which company is this? I assume its : http://www.drainagepipe.co.uk