Black Friday Bargains

8 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

drainage sales has a extra 20% off today!!! Doesn't work for pipe only .

or one day only, we are giving 20% off of everything on our website if you order online. Just copy and paste this code into the Promotional Code Box on the Basket page and the discount will be automatically applied. 

BLACK-NEXO-RUPO-LJPD

In addition to this offer, our usual volume discounts of up to 10% still apply, meaning that for today only larger orders will be subject to a discount of up to 30%! 

That just saved me about £140..!!!

Thanks for that one... !

Well today's experience confirms BF is all a BIG CON

We were looking for an ipad nini for a christmas present.

Yesterday they were £239 on Tesco Direct. So we thought we would wait until BF for the "bargains"

Get home from work, and there is an email telling me they are on sale for £189. Click through the lionk, and what do I find?  They are on sale at £259

So, there might have been a FEW on sale at £189 which sold very quick, then the price went up to MORE than it was the day before the "sale"

I wonder how many bought today thinking they had a bargain?

All sharp and despicable practice imho.

I did end up with one for £209 from Argos, about the only one who had not already sold out of the sale price items.

[grumpy old git]Just serves yet again to remind me that having to work for a living is a pita. Work is increasingly getting in the way of life and I am increasingly resenting it [/grumpy old git]

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

[grumpy old git]Just serves yet again to remind me that having to work for a living is a pita. Work is increasingly getting in the way of life and I am increasingly resenting it [/grumpy old git]

"£259 for a bloody iPad! I don't bel..."

64e7ac70236a2e1f041e1033d73401d1eb343a6a.jpg

:)

Ah, a picture of my role model.

Trust me, I would not choose to spend that much on a bloody "computer" where they forgot to include the mouse and keyboard, but aparently my daughter will be "deprived" if she doesn't get one, and I would hate to be accused of child cruelty.

12 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

drainage sales has a extra 20% off today!!! Doesn't work for pipe only .

or one day only, we are giving 20% off of everything on our website if you order online. Just copy and paste this code into the Promotional Code Box on the Basket page and the discount will be automatically applied. 

BLACK-NEXO-RUPO-LJPD

In addition to this offer, our usual volume discounts of up to 10% still apply, meaning that for today only larger orders will be subject to a discount of up to 30%! 

thank you just ordered all my ducting

• 3 weeks later...
On 19 November 2016 at 16:41, Nickfromwales said:

After an hour of my boy going on and on about the PC he wanted, I remember he knew it'd need an upgraded graphics card. 

Iirc it was something along these lines

Bump

Anyone know if that graphics card ( or probably a bigger one ? ) wil go in this machine? Says a mini tower format or some other computing voodoo, I know not of this world. I'm assuming that it'll need the power supply upgrading, but I can do that when the graphics card goes in, can I not? 

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Bump

Anyone know if that graphics card ( or probably a bigger one ? ) wil go in this machine? Says a mini tower format or some other computing voodoo, I know not of this world. I'm assuming that it'll need the power supply upgrading, but I can do that when the graphics card goes in, can I not? 

This appears to be the mobo according to the link in my following post:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4713#ov

Look on the plan view picture of the mobo and it appears to have 3 expansion slots:

- the long PCIEX16 slots 

- the two short PCIEX1 slots

This assumes it is in fact the correct mobo.

Edited by Onoff

Bump

Have a read here. All about turning that machine into something more suited to gaming:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20160301050237AAtipVm

That mini tower form will make cooling properly for a big graphics card an issue. There likely won't be the space. As the link says needs extra fans etc.

Edited by Onoff

Can someone please translate :S

From what I got, the zoostorm is only going to end up as a bloody donor pc ?!?

The case is too small to upgrade / install the graphics card it seems. Now even more confused ( but thanks for the heads up ? ) so do I just buy all the 'separates' and make the damn thing from scratch?

Clocks against me too ??

If you buy that pc then simply put its not a gaming pc due to the on-board graphics....though it will play games to an extent. Let's be honest it's not a "looker" either is it?

You need to add the cost of a graphics card and psu to the base price along with whatever case you choose. Can you get a dedicated "gamer" for say £250 -  300 over the base pc price?

How do you feel about transplanting bits over to a new case?

You can get a flash looking gaming case for around £20 if you shop around that come with fan(s) you can always add more. At the end of the day they're bits of pressed steelwork with some threaded bosses in. Pay more and the steel might be a bit thicker and the fan a bit quieter. For example:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=152128784029&category=42014&pm=1&ds=0&t=1481715424247

or

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=252674996303&category=42014&pm=1&ds=0&t=1481715513749

Say £30 for a budget psu  (Cit brand etc).

I would say it's a good enough basis so buy it if you're going to before it's too late! 

Edited by Onoff

I'd rather hang on tbh and get further 'council' before parting with my moola. 

Fyi the graphics card and PSU are something I'm aware need to be added, but that was a birthday hit and this is the Xmas hit. ;)

Will the big GC and 450w PSU fit in the zoostorm machine? Sorry if I'm missing the woods for the trees here but can you give me a yes or no for my sanitys sake :(?  

If your sure it'll be better to make a machine from scratch then I'm 100% up for it. What's the BEST direction ?

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'd rather hang on tbh and get further 'council' before parting with my moola. 

Fyi the graphics card and PSU are something I'm aware need to be added, but that was a birthday hit and this is the Xmas hit. ;)

Will the big GC and 450w PSU fit in the zoostorm machine? Sorry if I'm missing the woods for the trees here but can you give me a yes or no for my sanitys sake :(?  

If your sure it'll be better to make a machine from scratch then I'm 100% up for it. What's the BEST direction ?

This is the inside of that pc I believe:

2f630e7fa2d24dfabb29eeb16c440e84_A.jpeg

The GTX 1060 card should fit in the long slot  (under where it says GIGABYTE). That's the PCIEX16 slot. The blanking plate on the back of the case just snaps out.

A more powerful psu is a 4 screw swap over and would fit. You need to careful as you unclip all the leads from the mobo and drive and swap them over. The new graphics card will need a feed of its own from the psu. 4th picture along shows the 8-pin power connector on the card.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx1060series/gtx1060gamingx3g.html?gclid=CPSe2oOhtdACFUk8Gwodpq0C_A

So....you now have a hotter card - quite literally in that space and this all needs more cooling. The card does have bloody great fans on it but you can't have enough. In a small space it can only draw in so much air. More fans in the case will force in more air.

You'll see on the grid area of the case tapped bosses - the fan(s) bolt to there. The pc you're looking at has a fan for the processor (cpu) but no case fan(s) though.

If you can fit a new card, psu and fan you'll have no trouble swapping everything over to a new (<£25) case if desired. The new case will likely come with a fan(s).

Btw it'll need regular & careful cleaning inside.

• Like 1

Ok, so grab the PC for now, and do a swap out when the GC comes along. ^_^

Cheers, and my boy has already confirmed most of what you've said.....he's a clever little bugger:x  

Hello new PC, goodbye wallet :|??? 

Purchase, hide, sup a beer & breathe sigh of relief. One down!xD

You could go on forever with this and there'll always be something better just out of reach or that'll come up "tomorrow"! The mobo WON'T take DDR4 RAM but you could likely fit faster DDR3 than what it came with. My boy upgraded his DDR3 to HyperX. 

An i7 and 16GB of RAM will give him some respectable bragging rights amongst his mates.

I've got off lighter with my "gamer":

- Logitech G910 Orion keyboard

- Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset

- Samsung Evo 500GB SSD

Spread over his b'day and Christmas.  (All I wanted for my 18th was eighteen year old girls!)

Edited by Onoff

The good old days.....

I can't talk though, my dad always followed technology and my brother and I always had the best of whatever was about at the time ( BBC A upgrade + Opus Challenger 3 in 1 Double sided Double density disc drive ) and a light pen ?. I put a board full of 256 EPROMs in it so my games were stored on memory which made me a god, even the computer teacher came to me for advice as I had the BBC a year or so before they got into the schools. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The mobo WON'T take DDR4 RAM but you could likely fit faster DDR3 than what it came with. My boy upgraded his DDR3 to HyperX. 

The last machine I linked was the 2tb cheaper machine, so, according to Sir Chopsalot, the original one does come with DDR4 ram, whatever that is. :S. Gives me a knackered boiler any day. 

You build my PC and I'll tile your bath ? xD

So he's hankering after DDR4?

Right let's recap:

1) The ORIGINAL pc you were looking at:

£649.99 from Argos. Zoostorm Evolve, i7-6700 / 16GB of DDR4 (can be upped to 32GB), 3TB HDD, Windows 10, 250W psu, ASUS H110M-R mobo

This latest one you found:

2) £580 from Debenhams. Zoostorm Origin, i7-4770 / 16GB of DDR3 (that's it's maximum), 2TB HDD, Windows 8

So....a lesser machine all round (processor, RAM, HDD & OS) for £70 less. That's quite a lot more for your money for £70 tbh. You can expand the RAM to 32GB for a start on the pricier one. (That's a birthday present you don't have to think about).

Comparing the processors the AMD does well up against the  i7:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-A6-6400K

It's DDR3 memory, two memory slots. Theoretically uppable to 32GB (about £200 for two 16GB sticks) or 16GB with another 8GB stick (about £50). You could go up to 2133MHz memory tbh - its only 1600MHz comes with it.

If he'd be happy with it...

Beer? FFS how many do I owe YOU? :)

Edited by Onoff

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cheers. First machine is #1 choice at the mo. 

But......:ph34r:

IMG_5190.PNG

This is is on Gumtree at the moment. Sounds a lot for the money but how does it compare to the i7 chip?

Ill buy you beer ? I promise. 

I'm going to try and buy this one. Comes with a monitor too so bargain afaic ?

What is required to up it to 2133 mega shnortels ? £50 to get to 16gb sounds good, but my boy says the graphics card is shat and will 'need' upgrading come birthday time. ??