Devils Corner

Pocster

12 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

You put me to shame, I wired our place for network about 5 years ago and they are still all just hanging in the comms cupboard! 

Only just powered on the 48 port bridge ( bought off eBay ) rather noisey ! Thought a plane was taking off - that might be an issue ...

21 minutes ago, pocster said:

Only just powered on the 48 port bridge ( bought off eBay ) rather noisey ! Thought a plane was taking off - that might be an issue ...

This is very common, take it apart, find the little fans, replace with a same voltage same size thing. 

I have about 5 switches which are noisy. I actually removed the fans from some and let the rack fans do the job by aiming them right across the case.

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

This is very common, take it apart, find the little fans, replace with a same voltage same size thing. 

I have about 5 switches which are noisy. I actually removed the fans from some and let the rack fans do the job by aiming them right across the case.

So it’s just noisy because of old fan bearings worn ? I.e new fans would be much quieter ??

1 minute ago, pocster said:

So it’s just noisy because of old fan bearings worn ? I.e new fans would be much quieter ??

Yes, the fans are I think like 40mm, they are small, spin pretty fast and just wear out. Chances are it sat in a data-rack in an office for the last 10 years. I know I'd feel kinna rough if I was made to work flat out for 10 years! 

You can get them for a few pounds. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Haha 1

I got some of these to quieten down my ubiquiti switch & router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071J8CZP9/

Be sure to get the deepest ones that fit (e.g. 40x20mm not x10mm for the above size) as they'll move more air per rev hence can be run slower

The switch likely won't have speed control either but you can get little PWM controllers to put in line with them to set at a low speed.

Iirc PoE switches can run a fair bit warmer so check again after everything is hooked up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

You put me to shame, I wired our place for network about 5 years ago and they are still all just hanging in the comms cupboard! 

Shows how useful network cable is.

3 hours ago, pocster said:

What’s the real difference between internal and external

One can be used as a washing line.  Probably the biggest energy saving device available.

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Okay I will bite.

Why the termination strip and patch leads?  I would have just crimped an RJ45 onto the end of each cable and plugged them straight into the switch.  That's all I have done with the few I have in use.

?

Some cables are crimped as stranded cat5 ; some or keystones as solid core cable . I prefer the patch board as it means the cables won’t hopefully get moved - so any unplugging etc . Done by patch cables ( pre bought ! Didn’t fancy making them )

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Okay I will bite.

Why the termination strip and patch leads?  I would have just crimped an RJ45 onto the end of each cable and plugged them straight into the switch.  That's all I have done with the few I have in use.

I like the patch panels as they tidy all the cables away.  I have mine flush with the plasterboard.  You can adapt to phone and poe where needed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I like the patch panels as they tidy all the cables away.  I have mine flush with the plasterboard.  You can adapt to phone and poe where needed.

This is all in my man cupboard. Flush cables to the wall is just too much ?.

As long as it’s manageable and obvious which cables goes where I’m happy . This cupboard does not need SWMBO approval !! ???

3 hours ago, pocster said:

?

Some cables are crimped as stranded cat5 ; some or keystones as solid core cable . I prefer the patch board as it means the cables won’t hopefully get moved - so any unplugging etc . Done by patch cables ( pre bought ! Didn’t fancy making them )

Yeah if you're using solid core runs, the patch panel is the place to convert to stranded cables. Ideally the solid cores then will never have to be touched or moved again and can last decades.

Analogous  to why in a lighting circuit you have a ceiling rose rather than drop T&E to the pendant, say

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2020 at 13:33, Carrerahill said:

Yes, the fans are I think like 40mm, they are small, spin pretty fast and just wear out. Chances are it sat in a data-rack in an office for the last 10 years. I know I'd feel kinna rough if I was made to work flat out for 10 years! 

You can get them for a few pounds. 

I'm actually having great difficulty finding the 5 replacement fans I need. Can find them on US eBay at £100 for 5 + postage!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-5x-new-Quiet-fans-NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS748TP-Low-noise-best-for-Home-Networking-/263162755852

Edited by pocster