Devils Corner

Pocster

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Going to start wiring up the 50 or so cat5 cables ? ; boredom will become king !

50 CAT5 cables... what are you building, a call centre? I have a fair bit of CAT5 here, every room that may need it has 1 or 2 points (only used 1 point once), but 50?!? Please do tell?

My take is I installed a fair few cat5 cables just in case.  They remain labelled but unterminated.  When I find a use for them I will terminate the ends.  So far ONE is in use with one more I have a foreseeable use for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

50 CAT5 cables... what are you building, a call centre? I have a fair bit of CAT5 here, every room that may need it has 1 or 2 points (only used 1 point once), but 50?!? Please do tell?

4 points per bed room. Multi Sensor (or 2 ) per room. ip cctv (not in bedrooms! - but maybe a covert one in the bathroom! ?)

Wall mounted iPads to control HA (or use phone)

etc.etc.etc. + lots of other smaller things like for TV etc.

I put in 8 Ethernet cables and really should have doubled every run, as there have been a couple of times I could have done with two connection instead of one.  I'm inclined to agree that you can't have too many Ethernet cable runs, especially as the cable is pretty cheap.

BTW, I think @Onoffs post about minimum cable clip spacing may have gone "whoosh" overhead. . .

(hint:  Those cables need to be tidied up and clipped properly, in accordance with Appendix D of the OSG and also, perhaps, Section 522.10 of BS7671:2018)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I put in 8 Ethernet cables and really should have doubled every run, as there have been a couple of times I could have done with two connection instead of one.  I'm inclined to agree that you can't have too many Ethernet cable runs, especially as the cable is pretty cheap.

You know you can run 2 connections down 1 cable?

I often patch network+network onto a single cable.

People say no, never had increased packet loss on a twin circuit and been doing that since the last 90's.

Edited by Carrerahill

5 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

People say no, never had increased packet loss on a twin circuit and been doing that since the last 90's.

Yes, using the spare pairs, but I've not tried it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I didn’t know that !!! How ?

These are poe ( not sure if that has any impact )

If it's  Alternative A PoE I don't think it matters, as that voltage is super imposed on the data pairs, as a common mode voltage.  If it's either Alternative B PoE or the sort of bodged PoE down the spare pairs that I'm using to power some stuff, then it won't work.  It also won't work for Gigabit connections, as they use all 4 pairs in the cable, whereas 10-100 only uses 2 of the 4 pairs.  Not sure that there are any real applications for Gigabit Ethernet in a domestic scenario, though, given that it's massively faster than any likely external internet connection.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pocster said:

I didn’t know that !!! How ?

These are poe ( not sure if that has any impact )

It only uses 2 pairs, 1 x Tx pair 1 x Rx pair - on a crossover cable these two pairs are "crossed" so that PC can speak to PC - i.e. Tx into Rx. Some of the cheap free cables with modems only have 2 pairs in the cable!!

Only pins 1-3 & 6 are used on a normal network connection which if I remember correctly tends to be orange and green, so you can strip out the blue and brown. You can pull out the 2 twisted pairs, and keeping them twisted crimp on 2 plugs, or if using a patch panel terminate them like that.

I have a piece of Network cable here with about 48 pairs on it, it's designed for patching panels in comms rooms, I acquired about 8 foot of it and figured it may come in handy one day, so that is 24 connections down a single cable!

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

We're putting service voids on all external walls, and I was going to drop ducts with pull cords through it at regular intervals to make it easier to pull something new through in future. A colleague said he just dropped spare lengths of cheap cat5 instead. That way there's a reasonable chance he could just use that as is, and if not use it as a pull cord to pull whatever cable he actually wanted there instead.  I expect I can get to 50 with those alone :-) 

• Haha 1

The main issue with cheap Cat 5 cable is that it kinks very, very easily when pulled.  I acquired a load of purple Cat 6 cable (a new building for 900 workstations was flood wired with the wrong type of cable, many km of it, and it was all pulled out and scrapped. . . ) so used that.  It was much easier to pull through than the cheap Cat 5e stuff I had, as it's a lot stiffer, because of the internal core that keeps the pairs separated.  The stuff I used also had an outer covering that was more like outdoor network cable.  I have a feeling it may have been some sort of low smoke and flame cable.

1 hour ago, pocster said:

What’s the real difference between internal and external cat ?? 

UV stable and a bit tougher, having said that I have had a piece of internal CAT5 cable strung between 2 houses via a BT telegraph pole for about 10 years without any degradation of the cable that I can see so far.

• Like 1