"Caber+" floor to fit/ Q's.

zoothorn

On 28/04/2020 at 18:44, joe90 said:

Okeydokey, you mentioned sound proofing? 12.5mm plasterboard is fire rated as 1/2 hour which is standard, sounds like your BCO is fussy so maybe not worth arguing. Watch this U tube vid and the lifter will be a piece of cake    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+use+a+plasterboard+lifter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#kpvalbx=_nDOoXqueFuTA8gKo37_YBQ35 It’s the same as I bought then sold on so cost nothing ?

https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Lifting/Genie-Lift-Hire/360060/

Very useful info joe90.. thanks for this. I'll look out for this type of lifter > sell on. Ideal if they packed down but I don't suppose they all do as a rule like this one?

How much was yours joe90?

Edited by zoothorn

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Very useful info joe90.. thanks for this. I'll look out for this type of lifter > sell on. Ideal if they packed down but I don't suppose they do?

They come in a big cardboard box

£110 seems to be the best rate I can find but I'm sure I've seen them cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dry-Wall-Plaster-Board-Lift-55597-Panel-Sheet-Hoist-drywall-Panel-plate-lifter-j/372485192444?hash=item56b9d8fafc:g:x1AAAOSw011bngUo

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ideal if they packed down but I don't suppose they all do as a rule like this one?

I think most do, mine fitted in the back of my (estate) car, it comes apart and folds up.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I think most do, mine fitted in the back of my (estate) car, it comes apart and folds up.

Ok thanks. I'm limited out here to buying (& selling on) on ebay, so needs to be pack-downable for me to shift the bugger on!

With using large boards 8x4 I would prefer this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-11-Ft-Drywall-Hoist-Plaster-Board-Panel-Sheet-Heavy-Duty-Lift-Lifter-Tool/174235541794?hash=item28913f6122:g:Qf0AAOSwLeFcTCuG. I know it’s a bit more expensive but the feet are further apart and give more stability (IMO). I paid £85 second hand (only been used on one large job) and was like new which is why I managed to sell it again fir the same money ?

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

? ok ok, but my worry with that one (but may not be founded) is the smaller distance between feet carrying heavy 8x4 panels at height! I used the other and found it very stable.

Yeh agree but he is only going to 2m.... Either way, I would always say they are a must have when doing any ceiling work

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just found this https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/xxl-drywall-lift-sheetrock-lifter-panel-hoist-11ft-150lbs-807491 don’t think you will beat this price and you will get most of your money back. It’s the type I bought and know it folds up pretty small.?

Great then that's the fella.. that even beats ebay best price/ really appreciated joe90. If I get my oorse in gear with this it'll prompt me to get the pB (I'm a bit reticent on this heavy 15mm 8x4' stuff I gotta use, just me etc).. but it ain't gonna do itself.

Ok I'm going to call this end of thread.. & need a fresh start/ do one for my pB job, as it's gonna be a big job for me.. & if I c*cked the floor job up..

HUGE THANKS ALL. JOB DONE.

????????

have you thought about using 6x3 boards instead, frankly now (at my tender age ?) I struggle with 8x4 and my last job I used 6x3 and it is easier especially if you have not done it before.

Edited by joe90

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Just found this....

I don't know if you've used Manomano before but I have and I wish I hadn't. I thought I was buying from the UK as there was no indication to the contrary. In fact I was buying from France and I haven't received the goods and trying to get your money back when all you get are emails in french is a right PITA. It's not an ideal time to be buying from Europe with the lockdown.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I don't know if you've used Manomano before but I have and I wish I hadn't. I thought I was buying from the UK as there was no indication to the contrary. In fact I was buying from France and I haven't received the goods and trying to get your money back when all you get are emails in french is a right PITA. It's not an ideal time to be buying from Europe with the lockdown.

Used once to buy x2 2.5L tins of Waxoyl underbody sealant of all things. No issues tbh.

Why not just hire one for a weekend 

by the time you try and sell it and get messed about by Jonny retard you will wish you had never brought the thing. 

I think buying and selling is only any good if you think you have a large audience to view the advert. 

E bay will want 10% off you. 

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why not just hire one for a weekend 

by the time you try and sell it and get messed about by Jonny retard you will wish you had never brought the thing. 

I think buying and selling is only any good if you think you have a large audience to view the advert. 

E bay will want 10% off you. 

Not if you time the sale for one of there regular £1 selling fee offers.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Not if you time the sale for one of there regular £1 selling fee offers.

That’s true but your market is small unless you want to try and post a plaster board hoist. 

I wouldn’t even consider trying to post it, would need to be collect only. 

I brought mine of face book for £70 and will sell it on Facebook when finished, local audience. 

Yes but the thing is the only hire tool place is closed currently, & small so I'd think unlikely they'd have one. We don't have a Hirestation- I'm wild west wales totally reliant on one town & its not big either.

I do need to ask one last thing on the caber boards: I've left the usual 10mm expansion gap @ my threshold, away from the slate sill/ threshold section itself.. & this seems the most susceptible bit to get rained on if not moisture off wet feet etc. What to do here?

What about stuffing some PIR into here.. being a 22mm x 10mm x 500mm long wee trench. Then the tile squares can ride over > butt up over right up to the slate > silicone bead along.

Are you allowed to suggest things yourself on a forum? or just me going mental probably.

Edited by zoothorn

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Is the floor flush with the threshold?

Heightwise, no its 2cm less.

But its the extent to which the floor extends to, relative to the threshold, is my Q here. So it stops 10mm short, so you step over this gap (the width of the threshold). Rain will get to the chipboard edge here (around the walls/ everywhere else the gap is n/a of course).

Your good with a router, 20 x20 oak with rounded over edge screwed to cill . (Lay your vinyl tile first so they sit under the oak. ) This allows the caber floating floor to expand and contract and slide under the new piece.

image.jpg

Edited by joe90

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Piece of 10mm x 40mm timber glued to the flooring and sealed to the step edge with CT1 or similar. Covers the gap, job done. 

Understood. But why didn't I just butt the floor up to the threshold.. because I had to have an expansion gap (aparantly), so how would this wood addition not negate the whole idea? this is why I thought PIR so it could expand into it, if it had to, in theory.

• Thanks 1