Cedar cladding treatment

pauldoc

The cedar cladding  is due to go up next week.

I would prefer to prevent it greying as long as possible. I have read on here people have used osmo oil. My installer has recommended Treatex cedar oil. He said it's the only thing he's come across that really works and really likes it. Has anyone on here used it or have an opinion on it. Reading up on it it looks easy to install and leaves a natural finish which is what I would like...not too shiny. It's reasonably priced too. I believe the person who started the company was originally at osmo(don't know how true that is) Its an uncoloured oil. I notice osmo has a few different options. There are other oils availability so if anyone has any others they recommend happy to hear

thanks, Paul 

12 hours ago, Stones said:

Is this not a battle you will lose unless you are prepared to commit to regular and significant maintenance?

That is certainly the case, which is why I didn't treat mine. I would still have preferred to have kept the original colour if possible. The silvering process is really uneven. It's been up a few years now and some areas where it doesn't get washed by the rain it's the original colour and other areas it's grey.

I looked into this in some detail, although for larch rather than cedar.

I ended up going with a fairly cheap conventional preserver and oil system, which should prevent mould growth etc, although I don't know how effective it will prove at retaining the colour of the fresh wood. The first coat is going on at a rate of 4m2 per litre as the wood is quite rough- I suspected this might happen which is why I didn't feel I could afford a more expensive system.

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2016 at 12:00, pauldoc said:

The cedar cladding  is due to go up next week.

I would prefer to prevent it greying as long as possible. I have read on here people have used osmo oil. My installer has recommended Treatex cedar oil. He said it's the only thing he's come across that really works and really likes it. Has anyone on here used it or have an opinion on it. Reading up on it it looks easy to install and leaves a natural finish which is what I would like...not too shiny. It's reasonably priced too. I believe the person who started the company was originally at osmo(don't know how true that is) Its an uncoloured oil. I notice osmo has a few different options. There are other oils availability so if anyone has any others they recommend happy to hear

thanks, Paul 

@pauldoc Hi Paul - just wondering what product you went with in the end and what your experiences were with application etc? Too early to tell on performance of course. Just seen that you are in Kent also so be interesting to see how the cladding performs as a comparison.

I've just bought 5tins of the OSMO UV stuff, so will be applying that before I put the cedar up. Busy painting 130sqm this weekend....¬¬

• 2 weeks later...
On 18 May 2017 at 13:03, oranjeboom said:

@pauldoc Hi Paul - just wondering what product you went with in the end and what your experiences were with application etc? Too early to tell on performance of course. Just seen that you are in Kent also so be interesting to see how the cladding performs as a comparison.

I've just bought 5tins of the OSMO UV stuff, so will be applying that before I put the cedar up. Busy painting 130sqm this weekend....¬¬

Hi,sorry haven't logged on for a couple of weeks. I went with the Sansin product from Silva timber, it's a 2 coat system so was a bit time consuming, fortunately had the father in law help a bit. Needed a little light sanding before application but nothing too strenuous . It actually gives the wood a milky colour which I hope will fade a little over time. It was easy to apply though. And going forward if additional maintenance/coats are needed its only 2nd product that needs doing not the  foundation' part. 

Hope that helps

paul

Thanks Paul. I went for the Osmo UV and I'm pleased with how easy it is to apply. Cost is around £59/2.5L tin and that's the biggest tin they do of course...  and they recommend doing the rear of the plank too. I only did that side once and then two coats on the face. Let's see how long it lasts!

IMG_20170525_205706.jpg

IMG_20170527_103658.jpg

Edited by oranjeboom
Photos

• 6 years later...

Apologies for a thread revival, but it is hopefully relevant.

We are five years into build, still not quite finished…. However the Cedar cladding that was lovingly treated with two coats of Osmo when fitted, is looking very sad for itself.

What to do next,

• sand it all down and start agian with some coloured Osmo to give the new look. 
  • Sand it down and leave it to go uniformly grey
  • ignore…

Have numerous other tasks to do, but it is looking shabby and I don’t want the cedar itself to deteriorate.

The front elevation got a refresh a couple of years ago, it faces due South in Devon, so lots of sunshine and over looks an estuary so lots of exposure to the elements. I know this is a clear case of ‘well that’s what happens when you use cedar…’ ;)

Welcome thoughts and advice

IMG_8028.jpeg

IMG_8029.jpeg

IMG_8034.jpeg

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8031.jpeg

IMG_8030.jpeg

This is exactly why we had ours treated with Sioo:X which is expensive. It’s a two coat process and can be applied to older wood. I am hoping it weathers evenly. So far so good but it’s only been a few months. 

dji_fly_20230831_144116_168_1693489288440_photo.thumb.jpeg.7693edfc3b6d30dbcb61c64634001a8c.jpeg