Tesla announces Solar Roof Tiles

readiescards

8 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

I thought these had already been done by someone or is this an innovation?

the intergrated units don't look bad anyway. How serviceable and easy to install will these be?

There are a fair few - Solar Century were first but the key problem in the U.K. is around variable pitch roofing. In the US it's common to use a standard pitch so the cells will all be at the correct density and spacing. Note they say they will last longer than asphalt tiles (shingles) which would indicate 20+ years.

I will see if I can find it but the key problems with any of these is the complexity of connection between the strings, and the issue that they get warm in use - warmer the panel, lower the output. 

The 98% thing from Tesla is also difficult to quantify as they don't say against what ! Polycrystalline and monocrystalline cells have slightly different performance (16-19% IIRC) so you're talking 2% of an average 18%... or 0.36% performance differential...!! These will not be cheap and I can't see them being as easy to install as say a GSE integrated panel system. 

The bit they haven't put is that they appear to have doubled the power density on their new batteries that may be heading for the powerwall units - that is a big step forward ! 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

I don't think warranties GET any better o.O

"Lifetime of the house or infinity, whichever comes first" !!!

:)

Ah but should it actually say:................

"Lifetime of the house, insolvency/collapse of the company/manufacturer or infinity, whichever comes first"

Tesla have already lost close to £1b! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/12152605/Tesla-losses-soar-to-889m-but-shares-jump-as-Elon-Musk-forecasts-a-profit.html

I personally believe we are due another technology collapse. I know a few people that work in the tech bubble of California and the money being pumped into "one day" projects is staggering. Almost as crazy as their president!!

I'm not saying Tesla is bad or are their ideals but can they make it to the shoreline intact? Or did their trunks fall down half way across the river?

Yours ever so bright and cheery, ever so slightly dour Barney :D

• Like 5

I think Tesla will make this work, but it could be Tesla Mark II or someone with money who bought it out.

The question may be how many lots of investors money it may swallow first.

Mr Musk also has other money pits, such as space rockets, that may need filling. Notably successful, but still a money pit.

Ferdinand