Hardest Part Of The Build

nod

Well it’s nearly twelve months since we moved in and most of the Sumer has been spent finishing its and putting in a drive and landscaping 

and I’m bored After two years Well almost three of none stop activity 

I’ve found a couple of plots that I like but they are both equally difficult to complete on 

Hence I’m typing this out at 2am 

Thinking to myself there must be others that have found finishing there build an anticlimax 

Or am I just an insomniac 

Self building stresses the parts that other activities fail to reach - but some stress is useful, perhaps vital. The  challenge - most days- of doing stuff I have never done before keeps me sane .

So I'm planning  to do more stuff I've never done before , as long as it is physically demanding. 

I have thought about making shakes or learning how to lay hedges or doing some stone walling. 

32 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Self building stresses the parts that other activities fail to reach - but some stress is useful, perhaps vital. The  challenge - most days- of doing stuff I have never done before keeps me sane .

So I'm planning  to do more stuff I've never done before , as long as it is physically demanding. 

I have thought about making shakes or learning how to lay hedges or doing some stone walling. 

I've got 12 crates of flints need knapping! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before you started building your house were you bored?  Personally after 2 years building i'm now looking to get back all my old hobbies which the demands of building has deprived me.  Never again will I enter into a project that is (structured in a way that is) so all consuming.  I do fancy converting a car to electric and had tucked a 944 away for the purpose...i'd be starting from an even more naive point than I did with building, but there'd be no urgency to it.

4 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

Before you started building your house were you bored?  Personally after 2 years building i'm now looking to get back all my old hobbies which the demands of building has deprived me.  Never again will I enter into a project that is (structured in a way that is) so all consuming.  I do fancy converting a car to electric and had tucked a 944 away for the purpose...i'd be starting from an even more naive point than I did with building, but there'd be no urgency to it.

There's a few Porsches been done over on the fullychargedshow on YouTube.

For me the hardest bit is the finishings.  e.g we still have 5 doors to hang downstairs because I don't have the wood for the frames, and cannot face the soulless trawl around the timber merchants and other places to try and find the wood that is just right, because experience from doing the same before says I will probably waste a day and still not find what I want.

We still have a stained glass window to procure, delayed several times for similar reasons that it's not exactly simple to organise.

As regards other interests, I say this every year, but I hope I will get more sailing next year than I did this year. But it is work (as in earning a living) that mostly gets in the way of that.  On that score, 3 years and counting down.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

There's a few Porsches been done over on the fullychargedshow on YouTube

Yeah, I recall they covered theelectricclassiccarco 911 a couple years ago...that was my first point of inspiration.

What's your plan with the flint? You could give it to one of the flintblock makers to put through a guillotine and save a lot of ache.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

No that’s the funny thing 

When we started the build we thought where will we find time 

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Self building stresses the parts that other activities fail to reach

As does education.

I did little work for my BSc, in my final year I was virtually blind because my cataract operation had been delayed.

But when I then did my PGCE, I got stressed.  Was not the teaching side of it, that I was used to, and the stress of a new class is quite normal, and probably healthy.

Halfway though the first term, I realised that the PGCE was really a box ticking exercise.  Then it became easy.

I have spoken to a few people that have done the same course, and they found the same.

So I think, in the academic arena, it is a change of subject, rather than ability, that is the stressful thing.  It is the not knowing what is expected of one that hurts.

I think building may well be like this, more on the planning and designing, rather than the brick laying and carpentry.

Edited by SteamyTea

28 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have a classic car to rebuild and a vintage tractor to play with, problem is finishing the little things on the house before I am allowed to play with my toys.

That’s funny We have a large Porsche dealership opened  not far from us and I test drove a cayenne last Saturday 

• Like 1

If you want to do an ev conversion 

what about a 2cv --weighs nothing and won,t need  a big  motor or a  lot of batteries to get a decent range

then when you drive it hard it will lean over and you will think you are sailing LOL

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

If you want to do an ev conversion 

what about a 2cv --weighs nothing and won,t need  a big  motor or a  lot of batteries to get a decent range

then when you drive it hard it will lean over and you will think you are sailing LOL

Problem is they are now collectible so not cheap, try to find one with a knackered motor?

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Problem is they are now collectible so not cheap, try to find one with a knackered motor?

good project everything bolts on -

and everything is obtainable 

In france you can buy a NEW  open top  thing called an eden--perfect for you southerners that are complaing its too hot in summer

definatly turn more heads than rag top porsche

https://eden-cassis.co.uk/

and someone is making conversion kits for 2 cv in this country --but knowing what you guys are like --you would make your own 

If your so bored then the bungalow we have put an offer on has an outdoor swimming pool in the back garden. It’s within 5m of the building and access to the rear is restricted to a width less than 1m.

Feel free to formalise a plan of how to fill it in and put this in action?

30 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

yes i had one of the first ones in 1977 --bought it cos you could drive it for a year --sell it on and make 20% PROFIT

My lad has older cars amazing the market for them He brings in Jap cars He’s a pulsar arriving on Wednesday from Japan

Amazing how many people want these cars