When to use a single threaded screw and when to use a twin threaded screw

readiescards

My only contribution to the discussion is that I usually pilot EVERY hole still except when using plasterboard screws or SPAX flooring screws which are just amazingly designed things IMHO. 6x100 Goldscrews from S'fix - 5mm (long series) pilot. 5mm screws, 4mm pilot and so on. I countersink too. I don't generally hold with all this self cutting / no splitting spiel. In Contiboard or MDF edges I think a pilot is an absolute must to stop swelling/splitting.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Oh, there! How stoopid could I be? Didn't think of  that.

:) 

Actually I quite like the Screwfix concept where you buy a metal case and keep it topped up.

i bought my "Goldscrew" mixed case donky's years ago and I just top it up as and when I need it.

its been thrown arround the back of the car, van, site and is pretty bullet proof. 

Of course i have have countless other boxes of screw n stuff. In fact shelves full of the blooming things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

:) 

Actually I quite like the Screwfix concept where you buy a metal case and keep it topped up.

i bought my "Goldscrew" mixed case donky's years ago and I just top it up as and when I need it.

its been thrown arround the back of the car, van, site and is pretty bullet proof. 

Of course i have have countless other boxes of screw n stuff. In fact shelves full of the blooming things. 

I rate the Fischer screws and I've got the box from Screwfix that is topped up as and when it's needed. They appear on offer a lot so I tend to have a few spare boxes.  

I used to use Spax but they don't appear as easy to get hold of anymore and have on some of them changed to a Torx head - I get the reason why but I'm not going out and buying new screwdrivers just for one set of screws ..!

I've been using this countersinker http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-plug-cutter-countersink-set-4-pieces/86253 it's a plug cutter as well but it's a good design because if the drill bit breaks you can just replace it.  Twin thread screws are pretty expensive and like most everyone I can't see the point ;)

We've got one of those boxes from screwfix too, they work pretty well, though we do have quite a lot of the smaller screws left.  Still you can always tip them out and replace with more sensible sizes.

• Like 1

The Screwfix case is great. I've topped it up on occasion with the Goldscrew Plus stuff when they've run out of the "normal" ones. Left the catches off a couple of times and dropped the lot! First time I managed to convince the youngest it was a game to sort them back into sizes but she's wise to it now!

This is that Lidl set.....comes in a case. See how the drill bit flutes are weird:

20161009_114331.jpg

20161009_114403.jpg

I tend to leave a PZ2 bit and holder along with a countersink bit in my Screwfix case. Also got a few of these type scattered around:

http://www.toolsandfishing.co.uk/4-pce-pilot-drill-countersink--screwsink-drill-bit-set-792085-8562-p.asp

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, MortarThePoint said:

Naughty to resurrect an old thread, but @Onoff and @PeterW do you still drill and countersink?

Depends on what I'm fixing. I always pilot drill in whatever. I don't always countersink. I might not countersink in softwood if using say Goldscrews but always will in ply, hardwood, melamine.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Depends on what I'm fixing. I always pilot drill in whatever. I don't always countersink. I might not countersink in softwood if using say Goldscrews but always will in ply, hardwood, melamine.

I was wondering about your approach to framing (stud partitions, joists, noggins etc).

I haven't tried them, but GoldScrew Plus look interesting as they have the drillbit like feature that Spax have. No idea if it really makes a difference or is just marketing.

32 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I was wondering about your approach to framing (stud partitions, joists, noggins etc)

I still pilot. I'm a bit weird though as I cut through housings in the sole plate and header and slot the studs into that...then add glue and screw.

2 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

Naughty to resurrect an old thread, but @Onoff and @PeterW do you still drill and countersink?

Only for hidden work and when I’m plugging stuff with wood plugs. Now use Reisser as I get them when they are on offer at TS or Howdens and are really good.