Windows advice

Bozza

Some advice pse from anyone with knowledge re my new build house - NE Scotland.. The house will be timber framed, higher than building standard re insulation, and heating via ashp/ufh.

The windows we want are from Rationel.  Aluclad triple glazed.  We have a lot of glazing to the south so to prevent overheating we want the solar glazing on the south windows.  We need to get our windows cost down by £1k.  If the supplier can’t do a discount I was wondering about the actual real life effects / impact of deleting the solar coating or possibly making some of the glazing double glazed.

Re designing house / removing windows would not be ideal solution, so any ideas or thoughts  would be welcome or best compromise solutions.  There are a few posters here who clearly have brilliant knowledge of issues like solar gain, UV values etc etc..so probably asking for ideas or comments from those who have faced difficult dilemmas.  I’m already over my desired budget for the project so can’t accept a £1k overspend on windows.  Rationel were the best value even if over budget...

Edited by Bozza

If it were me, I'd be taking £1k off the kitchen/bathroom budget and getting the best windows you can afford. Fabric first. Actually, that's what we are doing to get the standard of bi-folds we want, kitchen budget, down from £10k to £7.5k. kitchen is easier to replace than a window system in 10 years time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Conor said:

If it were me, I'd be taking £1k off the kitchen/bathroom budget and getting the best windows you can afford. Fabric first. Actually, that's what we are doing to get the standard of bi-folds we want, kitchen budget, down from £10k to £7.5k. kitchen is easier to replace than a window system in 10 years time.

Thanks Conor thought about that trying to explain that to mrs though....interesting my allowance from builder for kitchen is also £10k.....

Edited by Bozza

7 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Thanks Conor thought about that trying to explain that to mrs though....interesting my allowance from builder for kitchen is also £10k.....

Making savings by simplifying layout (most of work surface on island) and few units by moving storage in to pantry. Will likely fit it myself.

If you only need to save £1K I am pretty sure ADW (I assume that is your supplier) will do a deal to get it over the line. Just be honest with them.

The cost saving of going from triple to double is not very great.

20 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

have you asked Ali? at rationel for a discount?

I managed to get some off when I asked nicely :)

+1 on asking him, he's a good guy, although I'm still having a conversation with him on price.

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply/help.  The chap I’m dealing with is away on holiday and will be looking at my quote when he gets back.  He is aware the quote is over budget but I’m just considering options in case he cant get the quote over the line.  I would need a discount if around 8-9 % just to get me to my max windows budget.   Did you guys get anywhere near that, discount wise?  

7 hours ago, Conor said:

Making savings by simplifying layout (most of work surface on island) and few units by moving storage in to pantry. Will likely fit it myself.

Not yet got quote in for kitchens but having fitted a few over the years I have designed a cost effective layout that is not over elaborate but it’s quite a lot of units etc. Unfortunately as my house is turnkey I can’t fit myself and have to go with companies the builder approve.  One option though is I’ve designed it with an island that has no appliances.  So if necessary have the kitchen without island, then fit one myself costing much less.

Edited by Bozza

• 2 weeks later...

I often see posts here whereby people take the time to reply to a query or dilemma, then the original poster doesn’t seem to take the time or have the courtesy to share their outcome.

So in relation to this query from me I did go back to Rationel who offered a small % discount, which still kept me over budget.  Another approach resulted in a further small % discount, plus a small change to make 4 windows top hung rather than side hung (to secondary windows) pushed me just under budget.  This keeps me with my first choice triple glazed alu clad, solar glazing.

Just awaiting the kitchen quotes now....

thanks for those who offered ideas.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I’ve just been reading this thread. Still on a quest for windows. Nobody answered my post about Norwood so I’m assuming nobody’s heard of them? I can only track down one installer of them in any case (can’t buy direct) Mitchell’s in Galashiels want to charge £10-11 k for supply and fit 2 very large windows. Does this seem reasonable? 

Could I also ask which rationel supplier you are using (where is ‘ali’)? We had a quote from ADW in Cumbernauld. 

Pic shows one of the windows. We want to  take it down to floor level. May split into 2 or more equal panes, can’t decide if this would spoil the view?

Thanks for any info.

E2C9DDD7-43EB-4B44-A70A-3B17FA8CDD59.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

We had to drop rationel as they couldn’t supply our large windows in one piece, they started to split them into 3 separate components which was not what I wanted. 

Who did you use in the end?

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2019 at 09:21, Russell griffiths said:

We had to drop rationel as they couldn’t supply our large windows in one piece, they started to split them into 3 separate components which was not what I wanted. 

On 28/09/2019 at 09:21, Russell griffiths said:

Yes, that's what they're doing with us.

Our price from norrsken was cheaper than rationel, for a product 10 times better IMHO, give them a call talk to Marju tell her I sent you, 

That window in your pic doesn’t look far from the sizes we have, off the top of my head there about £1700-2000 each plus fitting. 

Edited by Russell griffiths