Bathroom starts !

18 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Yes I can access it from the front by pulling off the panel. Previously I've plaster boarded the framework up. But you could easily cut through it to fix it. 

Just how inaccessible will yours be? I would guess that the worst case would be tiles on cement board in front of it. 

I always try to make things accessible, but in reality its not always possible. Second best option would be to be able to see it via a endoscope/camera. I've yet to have a leak from a hep2o, I would be more worried about having a brass connector in there. 

This is my shower setup. consisting of several compression fittings on to hep2o pipe and 4no. 3/4" to 1/2" bsp reducers.  This is 100% inaccessible or visible. I do wonder a lot of the time as to whether its dripping away behind there or something. All I can do it try to take comfort in the fact that I left it pressurised for 24h without a sign of leaking.

But at the end of the day, if it does leak, I have the ability to fix it and finally get rid of the bloody P-Bath. 

6480f283-5ab1-4519-b864-c79d0b4056d9.thumb.jpg.77d5d02590578fb126aca20a28153f43.jpg

Yep - will be tiled over . Like you I worry about the brass side leaking not the Hep2o !! . I’ll do it and be damned ! . Spend the rest of my life worrying about a Schrödinger's leak ...... 

Only way to answer the question years from now will be to smash the tile and backer board out to look at a bone dry connection - then explain to my wife the years of stress it caused - the not knowing ! . Before anyone suggests I’m not going to put some glazing over the fitting so I can watch it !!! 

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

On 28/02/2020 at 13:25, pocster said:

Yep - will be tiled over . Like you I worry about the brass side leaking not the Hep2o !! . I’ll do it and be damned ! . Spend the rest of my life worrying about a Schrödinger's leak ...... 

Only way to answer the question years from now will be to smash the tile and backer board out to look at a bone dry connection - then explain to my wife the years of stress it caused - the not knowing ! . Before anyone suggests I’m not going to put some glazing over the fitting so I can watch it !!! 

Um.

These events never happen. My bath's plughole had definitely not been disconnected from the pipe since 2009 or so :-).

To be fair that is not a Schrodinger - it is more like a mugging; our cat which was our cat but we did not know it yet a the cat had not moved itself in.

That is more an unknown unknown.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Um.

These events never happen. My bath's plughole had definitely not been disconnected from the pipe since 2009 or so :-).

To be fair that is not a Schrodinger - it is more like a mugging; our cat which was our cat but we did not know it yet a the cat had not moved itself in.

That is more an unknown unknown.

F

Isn’t an unknown unknown therefore a known ? ??

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Isn’t an unknown unknown therefore a known ? ??

Not until later.

It does not become known until you find out that your your cat / car / pallet of paving slabs has been replaced by an empty space.

F

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2020 at 14:30, Onoff said:

Erm... that black elbow isn't glueable type pvc (I don't think). It's HDPE.

The elbow goes into an adapter that comes with the Geberit then that push fits into a 110mm female.

The 3 black fittings are all Geberit:

20190530_180923

So in my ceiling I’ll have push fit ? ?

I really want solvent weld all the way I.e after the pan 90 tee . If I get one of those geberit extenders you linked to I’ll still need push fit at the end which is bad 

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

So in my ceiling I’ll have push fit ? ?

I really want solvent weld all the way I.e after the pan 90 tee . If I get one of those geberit extenders you linked to I’ll still need push fit at the end which is bad 

It's all male into female going downhill so even if the push fit seal failed it'd all have to back up seriously to leak at the Geberit to "other" push fit joint. 

There's TAP Poly Weld 2-part epoxy that is supposed to stick HDPE to PVC.

Tbh I think I'd just push the Geberit in then CT1 around the whole joint after cleaning it if that worried. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It's all male into female going downhill so even if the push fit seal failed it'd all have to back up seriously to leak at the Geberit to "other" push fit joint. 

Tbh I think I'd just push the Geberit in then CT1 around the whole joint after cleaning it if that worried. 

Yeah I did think that also i.e. downhill away from the push joint, but you know. When I post 5 years from now about this brown stain on my ceiling......?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I did think that also i.e. downhill away from the push joint, but you know. When I post 5 years from now about this brown stain on my ceiling......?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Hmmm, sounds like a problem for another day. I'll email Geberit - they do seem to do weld stuff - so hopefully they have a magic coupler that takes push fit to weld.

I'll report back with what they say ; assuming they reply....

Actually do I HAVE to use any of the Geberit supplied pipework?? - can I not just get weldable in the same size? ( assuming geberit is a 'standard' size )?

Or is that initial 90 degree tee a Geberit special fitting.....

Edited by pocster

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hmmmm

Hunting - I find this 

@Nickfromwales suggests the 90/110 reducer ( surely that’s an enlarger ) push fits straight into the 110 soil .

Still means I’d have a push fit in my vertical rather than a weld ....

The "reducer" Nick suggested is the same bit I showed but it's really an adapter.  90mm Geberit male goes into the 90mm female on the adapter. 110mm male on the adapter push fits into a 110mm female.

20190530_180923

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The "reducer" Nick suggested is the same bit I showed but it's really an adapter.  90mm Geberit male goes into the 90mm female on the adapter. 110mm male on the adapter push fits into a 110mm female.

20190530_180923

You are right ! Doesn’t solve my problem does it - as I still need to get to solvent weld 

Edited by pocster

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Onoff

what did you do here ?

You seem to connect into the brown 110 soil - that grey pipe not a push fit onto it is it ??

DE9E9D77-A181-43D3-BE9B-48AEDE93B74E.jpeg

Grey is solvent weld female. Brown is 110mm pvc soil. I made a cock up there. Should have used black or grey solvent weld 110mm. The brown is the underground stuff and although still pvc, seems a bit more rubbery/resilient as opposed to the slight brittleness you seem to feel with true solvent weld pipes/fittings. Different makes too. I used solvent, gap filling cement. 

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Grey is solvent weld female. Brown is 110mm pvc soil. I made a cock up there. Should have used black or grey solvent weld 110mm. The brown is the underground stuff and although still pvc, seems a bit more rubbery/resilient as opposed to the slight brittleness you seem to feel with true solvent weld pipes/fittings. Different makes too. I used solvent, gap filling cement. 

So ! I could take the geberit fitting into a similar grey fitting you have and solvent weld that end to my black 110 soil??

The geberit you show ; just pushed into the grey ?? Must have rubber ring or something surely?

Edited by pocster

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

So ! I could take the geberit fitting into a similar grey fitting you have and solvent weld that end to my black 110 soil??

The geberit you show ; just pushed into the grey ?? Must have rubber ring or something surely?

The pan connector is Geberit. The elbow I got from @PeterStarck

Push fit into the grey via rubber seal. The grey, short, straight is push fit male, solvent female.

Then a couple of grey m/f solvent weld fittings. 

Brown soil into the rhs with gap filling cement.

2017-03-26 10.45.18

Just now, Onoff said:

The pan connector is Geberit. The elbow I got from @PeterStarck

Push fit into the grey via rubber seal. The grey, short, straight is push fit male, solvent female.

Then a couple of grey m/f solvent weld fittings. 

Brown soil into the rhs with gap filling cement.

2017-03-26 10.45.18

Ooooooo push fit one end solvent the other   That’s what I need ! But a straight one .

It’s been suggested ...

I would possibly suggest discarding that pan connector/bend and buying a new pan connector either straight and a bend or possibly flexible

and coming away from that in solvent soil so it’s all the same .

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fittings-c433/toilet-pan-connectors-c187/viva-straight-wc-pan-connector-4-110mm-p4704

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fittings-c433/toilet-pan-connectors-c187/viva-long-flexible-pan-connector-300-700mm-p6980

Will those non Geberit pan connectors clip into the Geberit frame still? You want to ensure the flush to poo pipe centres.

You'll still have a flanged rubber push fit connection hidden behind the tiles. I'd say the Geberit rubber seals are far superior to that flanged sort. 

Maybe one of these solvent weld will float your weird boat:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223472460110?

or

https://www.polypipe.com/pan-connector-110mm-90-s-socket-solvent-weld-white

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Will those non Geberit pan connectors clip into the Geberit frame still? You want to ensure the flush to poo pipe centres.

You'll still have a flanged rubber push fit connection hidden behind the tiles. I'd say the Geberit rubber seals are far superior to that flanged sort. 

Maybe one of these solvent weld will float your weird boat:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223472460110?

or

https://www.polypipe.com/pan-connector-110mm-90-s-socket-solvent-weld-white

Yeah that was my concern - rather use the geberit supplied fitting initially . Ordered that coupler you linked to earlier - give that a try first .