Hello (again)

Trw144

I m another for whom the forum died just at the wrong time - just as my timber frames were being erected. So what's happend in the meantime - the frames are now up, my cantilevered stairs in, and most of my roofs insulated and covered (epdm), my windows and doors have been measured, and I ve contracted some Welsh guy to design my hot water system ?. I put the second house on the market hoping to generate some interest ready for when it's complete, and have agreed a sale less than a week later (now it's with solicitors but hoping to exchange/complete this week).

Next up is a quiet few weeks whilst windows are made, followed by floor insulation and ufh, and the start of first fixes.

Edited by Trw144
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Love the stairs! 

Your plant room appears to bigger than our planned living room :D 

That plant room is actually the side of the internal double garage hence why it looks big. I have a much smaller one where the mvhr and home automation kit is going (and probably the Hoover and ironing board!).

Great progress - our electrician left cables for spots in the ceiling behind the board so the plasterer could do a better job (always gets a bit scrappy around protruding cables) and then cut out the holes after. Would recommend trimming your MVHR plenums before plastering (we didn't) to get a smoother finish.

+1 on the amazing stairs.

Yes I m pleased with how the stairs look - the glass and treads should be going on next week all being well. Cost wise they were nt too bad - the timber frame company put them in when it was erected (there are a few steels due to cantilever floors etc) and they charged £1200. Tiling the wall behind them has probably cost me just as much though!

Thanks for the heads up on the mvhr plenums, will get them cut off before skimming.

4 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Cutting the holes in those large format tiles must of been a right pita! 

Were they done by hand on site?

Yes the tilers measured and cut them on site - they said it was fiddly as they sometimes had three steps to cut and align on the same tile. I was very impressed with the accuracy they achieved around the treads - the final tread is around 25mm bigger all round so all cuts should be hidden.

4 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I like the stairs as well. I don't suppose you have a picture of the other side of that wall before it's been covered. Is that wall thicker than standard?

Here you go.....

I ll have to measure thickness of the wall but it's nothing excessive. The treads are two box sections welded together. I have a cad drawing of it if it's any use?

IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What is the banister arrangement for the the open side ..??

love the open arrangement - - steelwork looks very simple but very clever !

Using glass for the balustrade on stairs and landing. Plan is to batten the outer side of the glass and bring the ceiling across, up the side and back in - a bit like this....

http://pin.it/Zz5v0Qg

Personally I m not keen on seeing the glass clamps, hence why I want to plaster over it. On the stairs I m getting some cover pieces to hide the glass clamps with the aim it looks like this....

http://pin.it/Koyv2OA

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I presume you have to partly close the risers? I am sure the regs here are no gap that a 100mm diameter sphere can pass through.

Yes, those box sections are something like 45 x 160mm, they need packing out with ply and then the final wooden finish will be a 15mm thick "sleeve" that will fit onto each tread. Final dimension will be 230 x 100mm 

Edited by Trw144

They don't have much flex to be honest, and I m told the glass (which will be fixed to every tread) brace the whole lot even more. The only one that had some flex was the top tread that was welded to the I-beam rather than the steel stringer. The I beam was thinner steel than the stringer and was flexing on the vertical so we welded some additional plates to stiffen it and it's fine now.

I seem to remember watching a Grand Designs where they had quite a fancy floating staircase, but had to put in a slender vertical support half way up to prevent flex, as the occupants were a bit heavier than average.  

I'm assuming the finished cladding will be taken right to the tile, or do you have to leave a couple of mm expansion gap?  Likewise, what size of expansion gap did you leave between tread and tile? 

I ll take it within a couple of mm and use a rubber gasket to stop it rubbing on the tiles, ditto at the glass end of the steel. The tread is going to have a 5mm rebated shadow at the end also.

Perhaps I need a sign advising fat people to stick to the inside of the treads, and put an outright ban on any Americans going to the first floor!

Edited by Trw144
  • Like 1