Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. Ours are 144 - 146 ish. Some are down to 120 because thats what we needed to do to make them fit. For the life of me, now, I can't tell the difference unless I'm close up. Not worth worrying about.
  2. @Russell griffiths, that looks fantastic : and perfect for you because I hear you are into wild swimming. I can just imagine it ; skinny dipping at dawn and (this time of year) wild ospreys sitting on your roof waiting their chance for a ....
  3. Him, not the room. BUT, try not to cook him quite so much that - since nature abhors a vacuum - he becomes so warm that he doubles as a room heater
  4. Needs a pair of well padded grab-handles on the back of the door, just above knee height. I mean, its a double-activity facility: puke and strain all at once.
  5. This thread is good company: and maybe one we should encourage new self-builders to read before starting their project(s).
  6. @pocster working for you then?
  7. Exactly right. But once not long past the point of no return (Outline PP awarded) , every little thing we do to fulfil our dream means increased commitment. Then one day you realise you're trapped. Welcome to Higher Highs, Lower Lows. A test of mettle. Backs to the wall, we all fight harder.
  8. Money spent on a proper survey will allow you to sleep at night. Nowt worse than not knowing....
  9. Welcome. Or should I say Wilkommen? As a German, I'd say there's nothing all that special about German companies. The reputation of the product also depends on the quality of the build process. So, I'd say that one important factor could well be : will German workers do the job (or supervise the job) , or will their their UK counterparts do everything? As you say, this is specialised work. Have you asked any similar specialist UK companies to quote yet? Glatharr (Finished cellars company) will have its competitors. Because its very common indeed to have a cellar in ze Fatherland. Do a bit of digging around for cellar construction companies in Germany.
  10. Lancashire County Councillors tell me (informally) that '... infrastructure follows development ...' I asked for policy evidence of that statement. None: well, there's the A6 Development Area (The West of A6 Master Plan 2019). Infrastructure recently built before the the housing? None. Chickens come before eggs up here ...
  11. I'm sure everyone will stick to the topic: how the war is likely to affect self builders......
  12. @nod : Our foundations wiring team (4 of them) were Ukrainian ; my God they worked like - well Ukrainians. Frankly, they are just the sort of lads you need in a tight spot - fantastic work rate. And the Italian team are still having their siesta ...... ? @scottishjohn As to energy independence: is now the time to start thinking about wind? What price would electricity have to be to make domestic-level wind power worth while? Hold on, won't the price of batteries go up ........ arghhhh! @epsilonGreedy : in retaliation, please God the Russians don't stop a ship-load of plasterboard leaving St Petersburg for Hull.
  13. Excellent news. Self-building is a very long series of very steep learning curves. You've just taught me a lesson. Thank you. My God I've been tempted not to buy insurance.
  14. Now here's a post I never thought I'd write. What's the effect of the current war going to be on self-building in the UK? What's manufactured in The Ukraine but exported here? How will fluctuation in the money markets affect us? Fuel prices are on the rise: anyone like an evidence-based guess about how much? Will anything be cheaper because of the war?
  15. Welcome. If the 500mm part is under the standing (static) part of the window, then I shouldn't think there'll be a problem. However, if ..... Have you paid all the fitting costs for the window, or is there a retention? When he has had his porridge, @craig will be along sometime soon to give his more qualified opinion.
  16. Supply and Demand ; teaches every one of us self-builders harsh lessons now and then.
  17. Ah, @SteamyTea .... you've not had the experience of living with someone whose eyes are hurt by (what they regard as) bad lighting. I have worked hard on this build to reduce the effect of Debbie's photophobia. Driving the car on a typically sunless day often finds her using the visor to reduce the effect of the (to me non-existent) glare. A single light in the ceiling - unless dimmed or otherwise moderated - causes her actual pain. She prefers soft light, indirect where necessary and occasionally sharp, but shaded task light. 5 Amp circuits mean that we can have lots of gentle light sources .
  18. It seems the answer is clear. You have no relevant insurance cover; so you are responsible. Its not all bad..... The problem as described is not major. The money saved by not having an insurance policy, will count towards the cost of repair.
  19. Chicken Pox second time round (in adulthood) nearly killed me. I was lucky enough to be on the Zovirax trial.... Old Landrover ? Sold for more than I paid for it. Took me months to stop whispering a fervent Hail Mary under my breath while starting our brand new car 5 Amp circuit ? My mates all told me it was a good idea at the time. Guilty as charged Your Honour
  20. Oh, I must have misread the regulations .... a little learning is a very dangerous thing
  21. Exactly so. Bought from a company in Kernow 'n all. So it's not all bad. But the socket is not built the same as 13Amp sockets with connectors already built in (hardwired) at the back of the unit. It has two separate connections, one for each socket. And, I might be wrong, but the IEEEEEEEEE (number of EEs correct?) regulations say I mustn't loop across from one to the other. So I can either put a fused connection unit in (despite having circuit with a low rated RCBO) or have one blank plate next to one live socket Or maybe, as usual, I am missing the point you wished to make .....
  22. Thanks very much. The entire 5 Amp circuit is already on an RCBO ..... ?, however I'll put a Fused Connection Unit (FCU ) in somewhere.
  23. Thanks Dave. I have only one feed. As I understand it, that feed is only OK for one socket. Is that correct? Or am I wronger than usual? In other words, I can't just loop across from one socket to the next can I ?
  24. I'll put in a double socket for our 5 amp circuit I thought... way back when ... Now I know. You can't get a double 5 Amp socket like a 'normal' one. Oh dear never mind what a shame. Can't take a joke? Etc. Single 5 Amp feed to a double socket..... Got a double (that is 2 singles placed side by side) socket and a double socket back box. What to do? Wire in a normal socket and label it 5 Amps only ? Wire in one of the two five amp sockets. Blank the second socket? Can't find a socket cover for 5 amp socket. Ask the BH Hive Mind what to do? That's the one. Please. Fanx
×
×
  • Create New...