-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Quick thought, @Robert Clark, would you mind telling us roughly what you did pay, please? I ask because loads of folks would like the answer to your question. Just a thought. Ian
-
Will this 2 storey wrap around extension pass planning ?
ToughButterCup replied to Tim1985's topic in Planning Permission
First of all, welcome. I don't know the answer to your question, and neither does anyone else on BuildHub. We can make an educated guess on the basis of evidence. The fact that something has been allowed within a few meters of your house is merely an indication, not a precedent. Can I suggest you do a bit of detective work: look at similar local projects and then research their planning application history. The exercise will be very informative indeed. Then ,when you have done that come back to us and tell us what you have found. Why such a direct (if not harsh) response from me? We got PP, and the property 25 meters from us didn't. The subsequent Appeal failed too. Spend a good few hours researching recent similar projects in your area.... Should be fun! Good luck Ian -
@jack : too kind, too diplomatic. In my case, an HMRC official write us a letter asking why we had submitted our application late. He (it was one of those) asked that question despite the guidance on the form stating that the form must be submitted 3 months after the date of the communication telling you (us) that our property had been added to the Register. That's not the date on which the property was added to the list - its the date of the letter telling us it had been added to the list. There was a five month gap between the two dates. (December to April the following year) That error on the part of the official caused a 6 month delay. How do I know that? I was asked to re-apply - so I submitted the same documentation again. 4 Months later I was told that the application had been validated (not decided, validated) A couple of months later we were paid. 6 months delay over all. And all because an HMRC official couldn't read and follow the guidance on the HMRC application form Change variable for stupid and I'd agree with you Jack.
-
To me, nothing . Because I know a farmer who wants some. And the farmer would bring his own digger ... as @Russell griffiths says above: the devil is in the detail. Educated guess Work: half a day £250 or one day if access is an issue. Digger: day £300 Haulage : £300 ~ £1000 + VAT if thats an issue.
-
Raising up a freestanding bath
ToughButterCup replied to Happy Valley's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Set @Onoff loose: release the dogs of the bathroom remodel (war?) Clive: wake up! You're needed -
Firstly welcome! You are understandably concerned. There's nowt like a Planning Application to flush out what people really think - as opposed to what they say to your face. You are in very good company here. At a guess I'd say many of us have had the same issue to deal with. Objections to Planning Apps are nothing new to us or indeed to planners. The vast majority of objections are made on what's called in planning terms 'Non-Material' grounds: they are not relevant to the application. You and I would call the grounds: Nonsense . I have looked at the objections offered; Re: 1 - I think that the Planners can write a condition require the garage to return to its original use when it's no longer required. But I'm not certain. Re 2: make sure the view from the windows is obscured in some way Re 3: non-material consideration (irrelevant) Re 4: non-material consideration ----- " ----- There may be other considerations which are material but we have missed them ...... I'd say your concerns in relation to the objections as stated , while understandable, are unfounded. To lighten the mood a bit, have a read of this ...... yes I was livid at the time I wrote it. The post contains links which should be helpful. On balance, I'd file the objection to your application (referred to in your post) in the waste bin. Ian
-
If you have to ask the question, then the answer is yes: change address. There are organisations that will do that for you for - in terms of the sums of money spent on a build - peanuts.
-
When can we expect to hear from an appeal
ToughButterCup replied to RichyC's topic in Planning Permission
Here's authoritative data collated recently the data is available here in full https://www.gov.uk/guidance/appeals-average-timescales-for-arranging-inquiries-and-hearings Downloaded May 2022 Has your application been validated yet? -
Does anyone understand how ADSL broadband actually works?
ToughButterCup replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
Dave, I think you are trying too hard. The job's getting them to take the fault seriously..... We had a similar issue - several vans and several blokes later; deadlock. Cue some fairly straight talking - followed by another van and another - new - OR guy. Twenty minutes later he'd found the problem , half a day later all sorted. The 'fault' ? The signal by-passed our house, went half a mile down the road and came back to us - often as not scrambled. -
Steel frame garden room with no lintel to achieve particular aesthetic
ToughButterCup replied to PS67's topic in Steel Frame
Structural engineer ... we're interested amateurs, well most of us. We decided on the same brief for our architect, and ended up raising the roof of our garden room to be the same level as the rest of the house. Which made the structure easier to build. The Garden Room has turned into what Kevin WhatsHisFace calls a Breeze Corridor. Yes, I milk it more than a bit. -
Durisol - in administration
ToughButterCup replied to PeterW's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
Ahhh, at last, a balanced and thoughtful approach to a subject that - here - is usually an arid slanging match. Thank you. -
Durisol - in administration
ToughButterCup replied to PeterW's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
... badly. For a self-builder, it takes a lot of courage and attention to detail to do well. The Devil is always in the detail. I agree entirely with the rest of your post. -
Durisol - in administration
ToughButterCup replied to PeterW's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
Yes, @Mako, I am too. Its easy to conflate two problems: builders' inexperience and product- related issues. If a builder who only ever does Velox installations were to experience 'constant ... problems ' then the builder would either go out of business, or use some other build system. And presumably the manufacturer would value feedback from that builder. Feedback such as described above of boards braced breaking and blowing out as frequently as indicated would mean - if the issue were to become generalised - the end for the product. Where many factors are in a problem description, it's important to control for all variables before drawing a valid conclusion. So, let's see what the size of the evidence-base is please. -
Seen this? There are those of us who wouldn't touch a SunAmp ever, not no how, never never never never, and those of us who are happy with ours. It is common to hear the argument that they are overpriced. I have also heard the argument that SunAmp insist that a trained fitter install them, but at the same time allow their units to be sold in outlets where anyone can buy one. If thats the case, then SunAmp need to get their act together. I think that in addition to the answers you get here, it would be an idea to ask the manufacturer the same questions you have above. Mine is the 14kW version, absorbs all the pv I can throw at it (3.8 Kwp, northern England) , and is slowly repaying the outlay as forecast. For us space is at a premium. I have no idea how long it takes to heat up from cold.
-
I'm about to put up a flat porch canopy stile 'roof' to cover a bike rack. The apex of that canopy roof will be tucked under the gutter and eaves of our piggery. At the top of the rafter, therefore, I won't be able to nail slates - I'll have to fasten them some other way..... How? Stick them ? With.... ? I'm intending to use OSB under the slates instead of battens. Thanks.... (PS I've already thought of fastening the slates to the OSB first, and then raise the 'unit' and fix in place. I'm not strong enough to do that on my own) Damn, got the slates on the wrong way up .... eejit.
-
Early stage thinking - new build
ToughButterCup replied to DevonKim's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
Thanks for making the effort. Where to you delight in radiative models, I delight in learning to be a better carpenter. I can see sawdust and shavings . But heat, temperature, warmth, joules, kWh, Ergs, pv .... I'm with @Jilly -
Early stage thinking - new build
ToughButterCup replied to DevonKim's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
Deliberately, I feel. It just can't be kept simple because it's not in the sector's interest to be so. You really can disappear down soooo many rabbit holes, and for your troubles, be pulled this way that way (... over the Irish sea ...) by one charlatan after the other. Read @TerryE's posts and blog. At first, go for a percentage of understanding, and work up from there. I think I've re-read his stuff more than anyone else's. He sticks to facts, and keeps it simple....ish. You can read this board about heating until your eyes bleed, cross themselves and die. And still not know what the 'king hell to do Bitter? Me? Know why you are choosing the heating design that you want : and - more importantly - why you are not choosing any other from all the designs available. -
There are more qualified people than I to answer your plumbing question. I wish merely to pass on a conclusion drawn by one member ( well regarded, technically ueber-confident, not so active on this board these days) who remarked that he wish he'd kept it simple(r) ... in terms of costs and diminishing returns from time and effort invested.
-
Do you leave your boiling water tap on at nigh?
ToughButterCup replied to Adsibob's topic in Kitchen & Household Appliances
-
Welcome. Keep hold of the dream. It took us 30+ years from dream to reality. Kids, life, mess-ups got in the way. If we'd had buildhub in the early 2000s, we'd have [....] Help? - persistence . Self building tests persistence. A lot.
-
Octopus Smart Meter Display suddenly showing export rate
ToughButterCup replied to NSS's topic in Photovoltaics (PV)
soon as we get a bit 'to spare', I'll have a peek ..... -
Exactly..... The above and this ... ... make the point so much more powerfully than I could ever have done. Had you both lived in Germany, you would have had the opportunity to move schools (as of right) at the end of the academic year to one more suited to your skills, attitudes and abilities. But, as it is as a result of your own efforts , you've both turned out fine ... I think
