Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. We buried some spare UFH pipes, suitably blanked in straight lines from the manifold position to places in the slab I wanted to measure and two straight down into the sub soil under the slab, suitably sealed to the dpm. I can then push the sensors down the pipes with a wiremans tape and hey presto I have temp from a over the place. The DS28B20s are great and cheap but need calibrating a DHT22 has humidity also and I have some of them in the middle of the wall insulation.
  2. Not sure what guarding the floor is? Safety glass I think is sorted they all have toughened glass on the inside, although one has laminated inside - the inward opening triangle window, and laminated on the outside and toughend on the outside for the inward opening triangle.
  3. We are getting close to getting the windows, our first supplier disappeared under us, perhaps lucky as the new ones seem much better, however today our supplier has asked us to confirm that the scheduled windows all meet building regs. I had thought that was their job but it appears not. We have three escape windows which may also need to be part K compliant. Here are the three windows, it looks like the opening size is OK for escape but I am concerned about having the height to the opening portion too low, am I going wrong somewhere? (The internal sills take about 40mm of the lower portion measurements.) Window 1 Window 2 Window 3
  4. I think this was made in Ukraine - or at least one of the vans had a Ukrainian number plate! As I watched I though that the last scene would be a picture of it destroyed by Russian artillery.
  5. This will depend on the rest of the structure - you need to do a full fabric analysis EG get the U values (work them out) for the walls / roof, and see where your heat is all going. That way you can get a feel for the payback time of what looks like an improvement of 23% in your windows and then you can decide if other ways of spending the 4K, EG improving the loft / tank / thin wall insulation would be more effective. I think the general consensus on here would be that just making the windows better without looking at everything else is likely to be wasteful. Not sure how you managed to get Internorm in under the Rationel price it generally seems the other way around on here.
  6. Lighting seems to me to be one of the biggest deals of self building if the work we, and many others on here, have put into it is is anything to go by. The types are myriad the location choices are mystic and the control theory and practice is a rocket scientist's dream. If you toddle about on here you can gather the basics right enough but the proverbial devil is probably in the detail.
  7. No but getting there. We are doing most if it ourselves and part time around semi retirement. It's a project not a crusade.
  8. Looks like a great project - here is how we started:
  9. Hi. No the pipe is 50mm in the slab all the sanitary wastes are 110 out of the slab.
  10. We created a sunken zone in the slab for the whole wet room and in the middle of that, suitable for the shower tray we went for, a sump from which we ran, through the slab, a pipe to the main 110mm riser, which we boxed for the pour so we could get to the connection in case anything went wrong. So we just have to fit the trap to the pipe, drop the tray in and link the two together and then we can tile the whole place and come out flush with the rest of the houses FFL.
  11. Wonder if they will keep area codes?
  12. Except loads of others could do it, so Node-RED is Open Source and you can down load it onto your local system, same with many other things and as @ProDave says having them local at least means you cannot be cut off, however your OS upgrades may leave them high and dry and so it is still something of a mine field. The basic MQTT, Broker (could be Mosquito but others are available for local install) and Node-RED combination is hellish robust and fast enough for the average human not to notice the reaction time. So +1 to that.
  13. No it was a Capri all right - mk1 in bronze looked very good! So there is someone else about!
  14. Did I see you trickling across the motorway bridge at Dunton green the other day - if not there must be more than one of you and we might need to call in Capri control to ensure the relevant reproduction rights are taken away
  15. If you want to travel a long way you need to build as abstractly as you can on the shoulders of giants rather that reinventing the wheel all the time. No point in striving for the moon and first setting up a bauxite mine, associated power station and smelter to get the ingredients and then process them into the aluminium for the outer shell! The challenge, as we have seen above is, is choosing your giants on the basis of not just 'does it today' but will continue for a good number of years without the giant disappearing from beneath you!
  16. Would work if there was a node that do the transfer, but I wanted to log straight to a data base from the ESP device and that won't do CSV, on Influx each data point gets its own time stamp and you can give it your own if you want but why bother when influx does it for you.
  17. YES and that's a bit much isn't it. British gas are getting it wrong all over the place. But perhaps you should be more worried, in 20 years time, about this: https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/3/23624328/ford-self-repossessing-car-patent-connected-car-nightmare a bit further down the same page as the Ring info above.
  18. Yes and no, the monitor works fine, but I have not sorted the best data logging approach as yet - have tried Graphana, with inFluxDB which works well on a PC server but overwhelms my RPi (Model 3 B). That and the Universal block software, one heap of code you configure what's connected via the onboard web server interface, just grew like topsy as I added more sensors - so it now has a CO, C02 , Temp, Humidity, Light & IR proximity detector. Plus work is very sticky at the moment and the build fills the remaining chunk of time.
  19. What we need is and open source product with 3D printed package. This tutorial here: https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-cam-video-streaming-web-server-camera-home-assistant/ gets you a lump of the way there, hopefully the ESP32 device, about a £10 er from Amazon, is not spyhardware . Maybe we should make this a BH project for the common good.
  20. Yes I was an SMP kid. I think I still have the 0 level text book somewhere.
  21. I calculate that you have about 15 years worth of tapes to loose at that rate. Retired 10 years (Assumed) 4 tapes lost therefore 6 tapes left = 15 years worth of tapes and I didn't have to ask Chat GPT.
  22. They looked at this IR wallpaper idea on the BBC earlier this month. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64402524
  23. Some of us have been forced to eat the book!
×
×
  • Create New...