Jump to content

MJNewton

Members
  • Posts

    1354
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by MJNewton

  1. These discussions always remind me of a carpet fitter who was telling me how fussy some customers/people can be when it comes to detail. He gave the example of people making sure the orientation of all faceplate screws were the same... He took the expression on my face to be one of confusion so proceeded to indicate on a nearby lightswitch what he meant only to realise that *I* was one of them! ? So, yes, another vote from me that upright writing is the 'right' (indeed *only*!) way to have those hinges.
  2. The flat roof on our extension was covered with a PU liquid membrane - Desmopol. Whilst we initially had issues with the roof construction (fall and quality of finish) all those clouds have blown away (nearly; I struggle to let go of such anxieties) leaving me quite a fan of this type of coating. Of course, it is too early to comment on longevity but there are various 'features' to it that appeal: - Single covering with no joins - Very flexible and seemingly very tough - Easy to re-cover should the need arise (damage or planned renewal/maintenance) just by putting another coat over the top (when it comes to doing this I'll definitely be DIYing it - my roofer clearly showed there wasn't much skill in it!) - Minimal risk of failings around upstands etc unlike other coverings that depend on careful detailing - Can be used with zero degree falls (good for my roof that doesn't fall quite as much as it should due to an error in furring calculations!) The technical director of a roofing supplier (who supplies all types so I don't suspect bias) told me that, like seemingly many building technologies, here in the UK we seem to hold tightly on to 'traditional' methods and so new/novel techniques can struggle to catch on despite offering improvements and being used widely elsewhere (particularly on the continent).
  3. Do you have a floorplan you can share, and are you aware of the 'semi-rigid' ducting (often 75mm OD) that can often facilitate otherwise near-impossible ducting runs?
  4. Yes, I could try that. Thanks everyone for the comments - all food for thought and will help decide what to do.
  5. It sounds like we've been on the same training course!
  6. ? To be honest I'm not exactly sure what my hesitation actually is!
  7. Hmm, yes, that would work and sounds less radical / more reversible. Even less-sticky-than-Gorilla-tape tape should work as the covers will both protect and keep it in place.
  8. I am in the midst of retrofitting an MVHR system and am wondering what, if anything, I should do about my window trickle vents once complete. I could just leave the cover flaps closed but a) I'm not sure how well they seal (probably well enough I'm sure), and b) whilst the flaps cover the inside hole the outside hole remains open (with just an insect screen) and so cold air can still enter the window frame cavity (they're multi-chamber UPVC). Whilst I am confident this MVHR system will be 'for life' I don't want to remove the potential for reversal and so thought expanding foam in the vents might fit the bill. It'll work (seal/insulate) well and I think should be removable if need be by hacking at it with a suitable tool and having a vacuum cleaner suck all the bits out. Any thoughts? Even just the advice to close the vents and get on with my life?!
  9. The type with injectors/splitters should be regarded as "poor man's PoE" (no slight intended; I use a lot of it) and is not standardised (unlike 'true' PoE). It does have the benefit of enabling non-PoE devices to be powered (over Ethernet) though.
  10. If I were you, and I was not so long ago(!), I'd consider getting a couple of books on the subject as not only do they help answer questions you've got (this/similar forums are also great, often better given the dialogue and peer discussion) but they also help answer questions you didn't know you had too! Two that really helped me were The Construction of Houses and Home Extension Manual: Both really good bedroom reading, or at least I thought so...!
  11. It need not necessarily cost that much if it's just a straightforward extension. It cost me £350 for an 'architectural technician' to my plans for permitted development check, detailed drawings for full-plans building control and builder quote, and the engineering calcs for a steel beam and lintel. Whilst I can't help but feel I should've paid more I must assume he doesn't lose money doing these and so must find it easy to knock all this out for so little cost.
  12. Compliance with the regs is (mostly1) just that - complying with the rules laid down in legislation. It is only a matter of knowledge and skill, neither of which necessarily requires a professional. Forums like this can obviously really help with the knowledge side of things, and often times even if you don't have direct experience/skill of a particular task you often find that you have transferable skills from elseswhere. 1 Issues can arise from *proving* you've complied with the rules which, in the case of notifiable electrical work for example, means formal qualifications are required to be held in order to (self-)certify the work.
  13. Of course, it does need doing in accordance with the regs though.
  14. Not of they are just extensions to existing circuits, which it sounds like these are going to be given the low numbers.
  15. Uugh.. Makes a sad situation even sadder.
  16. Are you sure? My understanding was that lenders have a legal obligation to get the highest price for a repossession hence they are always sold on the open market or at auctions within the aim to achieve (and prove) this. Any valuation thus has no bearing on the final outcome.
  17. I always assumed the recommended 'flexible duct' connections to mean something more like this 'semi rigid'1 ducting: Relatively stiff compared to the 'soft' flexible ducting (it retains whatever form you shape it) but still unlikely to transmit vibrations and being much smoother inside (particularly when stretched out). 1 Not to be confused with the 75mm/90mm semi-rigid ducting used for radial distribution! *sigh* I've never known a subject have so many ambiguous terms. Please nobody mention plenums, manifolds, vents, valves, terminals or grilles!
  18. Ah, okay, I can understand the need more now. I think I am still thinking that by the time you've found and fitted a solution the problem will have gone away, and hopefully never to return!
  19. Given that the dependency on the immersion heaters is a rare occurance, is it not sufficient to leave the switches on all day when required with the thermostats preventing power being continuously drawn? If you're not using hot water heat loss will be minimum, and if you are then the stats will just top things up as required. I can't imagine there's much energy to be saved by having greater manual control in such rare circumstances.
  20. I had a 750mm in the last house and that worked well. Shallower could probably still give some benefit.
  21. I prefer to go a little deeper whenever possible (ie assuming availability of the chosen worktop) as it allows for greater worktop area when you've got things sat on the top at the back. It can also make plumbing at the back a little easier.
  22. My Dad pretty much did away with any cupboards in his kitchen renovation and whilst it was felt a bit weird grabbing a mug from a drawer to start with I've since learnt just how much extra fully-usable storage drawers give you, particularly if they are of the variety that slide all the way out.
  23. That's what I went for in the end and, as advised, it was pretty much a doddle. As TheDreamer said, the boards felt extremely solid afterwards too.
  24. I was trying to see if I could find mine anywhere as people often ask where it was from but it seems it has long since been discontinued. I did just stumble across this one though (a DI-LOG DL1092 in case the link ever rots) which for £17.99 might be worthwhile for those not wanting to spend too much or go down the DIY route.
  25. It is definitely the best method for testing the RCD protection of a single RCD or a complete circuit (ideally with timing measurement of course) but the only way to test a downstream RCD such as the plug-in types without indiscriminate tripping of an upstream RCD is to force an inbalance through that one coil and not them both as would be the case if leaking to Earth. Incidentally, my neon socket tester has a built-in RCD test function with variable leakage currents and whilst it doesn't perform trip timings (or detect neutral-earth reversal) it is nevertheless a handy cheap tool to have. I don't see many of this type around though for some reason. (Apologies for the incorrect rotation - the original is landscape though)
×
×
  • Create New...