Shedxtension

Onoff

12 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Are you feeling better now, still banished to the garden?

Still banished. I tested positive Tues 14th still. I'll do another test today. Still waiting for the PCR results. Still don't feel 100%. Annoying cough last night that did go, woke up a little snotty with a mild headache. I wouldn't recommend it tbh.

Still, today I've to barrow half a jumbo bag of ballast 150' (I measured it) uphill to the base. Then my neighbour is going to back his trailer up to our adjoining boundary and I've got to shift 8 bags of dust and another metre of ballast to my side. Then knock up some shuttering, resin in some studs to join the existing slab etc. Should keep me out of the house!

Edited by Onoff

I'm going to cast a base. It'll be done with integral waterproofer and a sheet of A142 mesh I have here. 

Is there any poor man's technique to do a water bar detail? If I leave a groove in the slab where the dwarf wall is going?

16317787016641956894885.thumb.jpg.bbc653184c5f6b7304179066d09f5bb8.jpg

In all honesty I'll likely just leave a 6" gap, stick a membrane against the dwarf wall so it goes down past the slab and back fill with pea shingle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Still, today I've to barrow half a jumbo bag of ballast 150' (I measured it) uphill to the base. Then my neighbour is going to back his trailer up to our adjoining boundary and I've got to shift 8 bags of dust and another metre of ballast to my side. Then knock up some shuttering, resin in some studs to join the existing slab etc.

Well that'll make you feel knackered if the Covid doesn't.

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

Well that'll make you feel knackered if the Covid doesn't.

Just done the half bag up the slope, did I say half bag? ?

16317988065452123693433.thumb.jpg.74cab1b60c3b6c44a8f3fa8626a85184.jpg

Sweat pouring out of me, gasping and my left side chest weakness saying hello!  What doesn't kill me etc! Bloody trooper I am! 

IMG_20210916_143137.jpg.fd8f53a08fbd62af278c624e319fe92b.jpg

Suppose I'd better check for levels, dig out a bit if necessary and find some shuttering. To some extent that's going to be dictated by what I make the walls from. I'm rather tempted to shutter and cast the dwarf walls once I get the base down. Or I could hunt round for some stainless bolts and resin some studs into the old slab edge.....

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

stick a membrane against the dwarf wall so it goes down past the slab and back fill with pea shingle.

Yes that is simpler and better. Otherwise your water bar will have to be cast into base and wall. Easy enough but weakens the wall and seems unnecessary. Water goes the easy way.

A nicely rough surface at the joint will help a lot too.

Doesn't even need to be stuck. If it is held between the gravel and the concrete it will do..Not polyethene as it will react to light and fall apart.

Assuming that this is all an external construction, not the wall of a building.

39 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

@Onoff

Just a word of caution. 

COVID-19 can take a strange path in people. A day of two of roughness, then a day feeling better, then, and this is the bad part, you can deteriorate rapidly.

Take it steady.

Ta. Conscious of that. Getting a hankering for beer which I imagine is a good sign but doubt I could taste it. Dosed a tuna & cheese toastie earlier with extra hot chilli sauce. Couldn't taste a thing, just texture is all you get. 

Going to do a blind test with some crisps in a while. Just really cos I like crisps. Results to follow! ?

Throw nothing away! I knew that bag of yellow painted, batten off cuts would come in handy when I put them in the existing shed, (to take up space), 10 years ago!

All level pegged, I'll get a nom 3" of hardcore in there which I'll whack down.

IMG_20210916_180337096.thumb.jpg.eb2f76ee874378c38b0b351ecc8efeeb.jpg

A couple more barrows of soil to be taken out from off the high spots.

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

@Onoff

Just a word of caution. 

COVID-19 can take a strange path in people. A day of two of roughness, then a day feeling better, then, and this is the bad part, you can deteriorate rapidly.

Take it steady.

Hmmm...bit of a night cough thing going on here. I don't like it . 

No joke this...

An Amazon driver rocks up today. I've a long drive so called out to him "I've got Covid mate!"

He stopped in his tracks and in his I'm guessing eastern European accent said "I don't believe this!"

I asked what he didn't believe and yes it was "Covid" he didn't believe in.

"Erm, my Mum died of this mate and I've not been well with it!" That made him think I thought.

"It something else, last year I chef and test positive for Covid, I have no symptoms though!"

"Sorry for your Mum!" He said as he walked off.

Gobsmacked I think is the word.

Edited by Onoff

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

it was "Covid" he didn't believe in.

We once employed some Polish workers (on the books) whose work ethic (and attitude)  was wonderful.

BUT one day I asked one of them to drive me to the builders' merchants in our van.

He had no thought to speed or safety and I asked him to slow down and be more careful. He answered that we were all governed by destiny, and what happens, happens, and you can't influence it. So might as well drive quickly as slowly.

Scary thought:  These people are on our roads and on our sites,   and also spreading Covid.